It's Nak Smashing Time!

Cornwalled

Greetings,

Well, amazingly, it appears to have survived. Here's a pic so you can see it's status. Really not bad, just the transport door that's gone now.

I had to do some surgery to cut out some pieces of the tape door that were getting in the way. I also used electrical tape to tape over the sensor to make it think the door is closed. I adjusted the azimuth by turning the white screws, and it still sounds the same is it pre-beating. Which is to say pretty good, really. For a tape deck.

Of course the main problem still exists (the heads not going up on their own. So, it takes a rather synchronized shove on my part. I have to hit play, and physically lift the heads into position myself, which of course trashes the azimuth, so I have to adjust it every time. So definitely a big nuisance to use. I hardly play tapes anymore, but it would be nice to have them be anything less than a total pain in the neck. If it's this difficult, I'll just play them even less! I got the deck for free and only paid $20 for the idler tire set, so it's not like I have anything invested in it. Wonder what a decent used tape deck would cost these days? Probably next to nothing I would guess...

-Jon

I've got a bunch of Nak cassette machines including a Dragon, an LX-5, and a 303 "flipper" and they've been great for me. I've also taken a liking to Nak receivers with Stasis power amps designed by Nelson Pass.

triceratops

I loved my Nakamichi TA-4A receiver, and I love the Nakamichi PA-7s I own now to power my TSCMs and K-Horns.

Roger

Hey Roger,

I remember the RX series. That was the first Nak I ever saw. As a kid (probably around 10 or so), I thought it was the wildest thing ever. I think my fave deck overall for sound quality was the ZX series. I haven't seen / heard the Dragon, so I can't comment on that.

I've heard good things about the Stasis amps, but not heard them.

-Jon

I watched in horror as my father smashed my $35 bong in a similar fashion on our back patio when I was a teenager. It was a custom job and $35 was a lot of cash back then.

Never destroyed any stereo equipment that I can recall.....

You used to just smoke tobacco in it, right?

And he did not inhale!!!

I watched in horror as my father smashed my $35 bong in a similar fashion on our back patio when I was a teenager. It was a custom job and $35 was a lot of cash back then.

And he did not inhale!!!

Actually I heard he was just holding it for a friend.

Hey Roger,

I remember the RX series. That was the first Nak I ever saw. As a kid (probably around 10 or so), I thought it was the wildest thing ever. I think my fave deck overall for sound quality was the ZX series. I haven't seen / heard the Dragon, so I can't comment on that.

I've heard good things about the Stasis amps, but not heard them.

-Jon

Jon,

If you want to drive from North East Pen. to Northwest Ohio, you are more then welcome to come hear some vintage Nak PA-7s at full swing. You are even welcome to bring any amp of your choice for comparison on the same equipement. I must warn you though that if you smash any of my Nak amps that I will be forced to introduce you to my vast gun collection, and then my vast assortment of power tools. ;-)

Roger

And he did not inhale!!!

garymd,

If you "did not inhale" you are from this point on forever banned from any further posting from this point on pertaining to any Cigar threads!!

The last "MEMBER" known to have a Bong and not inhale was known for his extreme abuse of a fine cigar!!

and I do mean "MEMBER"!!![A]

Roger