Let's Talk Vinyl...Need Advice

ChrisK

Hey Ed,

Shoot me an Email when you are coming down and we will exchange numbers. By the way, are you coming down for the 12 hours? I have been thinking of going as well since the factory Corvettes will be running...

Just to stay on topic, I have had my AES PH-1 phono stage for about a week now and I absolutely love it! Unfortunately, I can't play any vinyl until my new stylus comes in for my Shure V15V-MR (I had to send them my old one). I have also been looking at the Nitty Gritty 1.5FI and the VPI 16.5, but can't make up my mind which one I want. I have spent some time on the Vinyl Asylum and as would be expected, there are differing opinions there.

I have about 600 albums that were all purchased in the late 70's and early 80's, and none of them have ever really been cleaned. I too have been a Discwasher D4 user the whole time and was not aware of the residue problems. Like Synthfreek mentioned earlier, if you are currently using your receiver's phono stage, you should seriously consider an external unit and you will be amazed at the difference. My PH-1 blows away the stage in my Denon 4800, but I'm sure that's no surprise...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 02-14-2002 at 09:33 AM

like synth freak I got BACK into vinyl by getting a used turntable, a cheap cartridge, etc. I AM enjoying my old records, especially those which I have not found on CD (talking heads - "the name of this band is talking heads" for example)and have even considered b uying a few albums new, who could resist a hi-fi version of "kind of blue"???? anyway now I just need to resist the urge to upgrade the table, the cartridge, the preamp, etc....arrggghhhh, tony

------------------

*1993 K-Horns w/ ALK x-overs*Marantz 7T preamp*Dynaco MkIV monoblocks (modded to triode)*Sony CDP-CX350 and CX-230 CD changers*MSB link DACIII (96k upsampling)*MSB silver digital director (for switching and jitter reduction)*Technics M-85 professional Cassette Deck*SAE MK VIII tuner*Luxman PD-272 turntable, Grado Red cartridge*Cardas Crosslink speaker cable*Monster M550i for all interconnects*Monster HTS3500 Reference Powercenter Conditioner

Just wanted to throw in that I've never NOT been into vinyl. Been collecting since I was a kid. Just never had anything but DJ decks like Technics 1200s & Vestax. I just never really had a turntable for strictly listening and not mixing/scratching that's why I bought the Rega.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

This message has been edited by synthfreek on 02-14-2002 at 07:12 PM

You know what, although I dont normally like direct drive tables and there are certainly many more musical sounding tables out there, I have to admit that the old RAP DJ standard Technics 1200Mk -- does not do that bad a job with a good cartridge. WE had four of them at the radio station and I had one in my office that was set on a sand filled box on cones. I had a Sumiko Blue Point (brand new back then) on the beast and the whole rig was running into a NAD 3155 phono stage. I made tapes of station albums and recordings for on campus events with this table. And damn if it didnt sound pretty good with the Sumiko Blue POint! The take deck was a Nakamichi RX-505.

These are not only bullet proof tables but can sound ok with some good stuff. Yeah, the Rega is an improvement all the way around but if you happen to get stuck with that beast, it CAN be used!

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

To Mike Lindsey...

I've had the Nitty Gritty 1.5FI for about 2 years and I've been very pleased with it. You'll need to keep a supply of felt lips that supply the fluid around because you'll need to change them every 2-3 months if you're cleaning old records. They're cheap though, about $5 a set.

I've also found it useful to modify an old coffee cup and fill it with about 20 pennies as a weight to place on the label of the record during cleaning...if the lp is a bit warped it ensures it makes full contact with the lips when the fluid is being applied.

My apologies..but Charles, I tried to write you an email answering your message..and the thing got fired back at me so fast, I paid my mortgage TWICE!

And Roowooden, where the hell are my mails to you going? I keep sending them...and you keep sending tese private messgages. Those things FRIGHTEN ME!

Send some email... I last looked at those private messages in the Summer of 42.

kh

ps- Hey mike! The VPI 16.5 works like a MACHINE! I mean, this thing is a BEAST. It will vacuum your living room from the closet! And is the only machine that sounds like a F-16 on take-off! I have had one for 20 years and it's still working like a wolverine in heat!

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-15-2002 at 01:14 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. You see, two responses and two different answers. Smile.gif I like the fact that Mobile has had his for 20 years and it's still going strong. One thing I've noticed is that you don't see too many of these machines go up for sale on AudiogoN. That means that the owners must be satisfied with them. I will definitely spend some time looking over my options and end up with one before too long...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Just a little trick I'm sure a lot of you vinyl junkies know about but for those of you who don't here goes. I know everyone has at least a few slabs o' wax that is in perfect shape except the fact that it's so warped you can put a piece of Scotch tape on the hole and eat a bowl of Cheerios out of it. Or you find that stack of cream in your pants vinyl somewhere but it looks like someone left it in the trunk of their car for a few weeks here's a solution. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy 2 panes of thin glass cut to a 14" square each. When you get them home be sure to clean the glass well to get rid of any sand or anyhting abrasive that may be attached to the glass. Put your cereal bowl between the glass and get out the hair dryer that you used to tease your hair with while listening to Dokken's Back for The Attack in 1987. Anyway just apply heat to the glass and keep it moving for quite a while. I usually do this for 10 minutes or so then stack a huge stack of art books(about 30 lbs worth) on top and let it sit for a while. People don't do this with some priceless LP but with ones that are good for nothing except the trashcan. I've fixed at least 20 or so this way and have never had a problem. It may take some persistence but I've been able to flatten out every single LP I've tried it with and can at least listen to them now. I've also heard of people leaving the glass setup out in the sun for the same effect as the hair dryer but I've tried that method. Good Luck.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

The NAD PP1 is a decent Phono stage for little money.

By the way, I have just encountered an absolutely fantastic cardridge...

the BENZ MICRO ACE,

never but never my vinyl was shining that gloriously. If you are looking for a cardridge upgrade consider it,

phenomenal and a super-match with my Heresy II!