Where do I start on khorns?

Wayne Stevens

Hello, I'm a new member in this forum and I'd like to know where to start upgrading a pair of 78 vintage khorns I picked up on craigslist for $250. Yeah, I'm bragging a little, but wouldn't you? I'm currently pushing them with a Denon amp or an old B & O reciever. The Denon sounds cleaner so thats what I'll use untill my Dynaco ST 70 is finished. My previous speakers were Bozak Symphony's, which I loved, but these khorns are incredible! Since I have a kid in college, I need to stay within a budget. Would the Crites titanium tweeters or crossover up grade give me the most results starting out? Thanks for your help and advice, Wayne

78 vintage khorns I picked up on craigslist for $250

I just reported you to the police, department of theft!

[;)]

I'd speculate the first place to look (presuming all drivers are working) would be what is the crossover in them? If it's the original AA's (I'd presume), then you'll probably hear that is the first place to start.

The crossovers (should be AA's) are probably the best thing you can do to start with. The old Aerovox "cans" are probably dried out. Contact Bob Crites (BEC on the Forum) or bobcrites@mac.com for assistance on the caps. On the bass bin side panels, you might want to check them and make sure the gasket is intact. Sometimes it dries out and will "leak". Easy maintenance; just use some speaker gasket tape from partsexpress and reseal those panels. While you have the panels off, check and make sure the woofers are firmly screwed down, they can loosen up over time. Clean all connections, etc. On the midrange drivers, there is a gasket between the driver (K-55) and the horn. Unscrew the drivers and you will see it in the threaded area. It should be replaced as it's probably dried out. Other than making sure you have them sealed into the corners, those few things will bring them back to "factory" specs. For details on the Klipschorns (serial coding, finishes, drivers, etc.) see:http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/103886/1048788.aspx#1048788

Congratulations on the Klipschorns!

Certainly go ahead and refresh the caps. While you are at it clean off the oxidation on the various wire contacts.

My advice will differ a bit from the others.

1) Start by making sure you have these set up correctly. The short version is: snug in the corners with spacing at about +/- 45 degrees to the listener. Most do a smaller angle, but don't go too small. Certainly experiment on how where you place the listening chair.

2) Then search the threads for the following terms: False Corners and Pipe Foam

Good Luck & enjoy,

-Tom

Thanx everyone for the quick replies! I just left a Bozak forum composed of simular thoughtful people that I'll miss! I can't believe I've lucked into another great forum! I've been to Bob Crites website and he offers a kit to rebuild my AA's and instructions on how to go about it. If you guy's tell me his prices are competetive, I'll get them ordered. Not trying to open a can of worms, but what is your thoughts on Al's crossovers vs. Crites? Again I appreciate your help and I would have responded sooner but I just drove five and a half hours from South Padre Island to Austin Texas.

Welcome.

Listen to them for a while. Then replace the crossovers. Listen ot them for a while again. I advise lots of listening.

I have 1978 Khorns as well. Mine were left on a porch at some time so I cleaned them up and had the diaphrams replaced in the mf and hf. I removed the woofers but noticed one was damaged and they didn't match which was probably fine. Just to be safe I put in Bob Crites cast from woofers which are based on pre Klipsch 1985 K33E woofers.

Enjoy

Bob's prices are quite competitive, and his service is exemplary. He also has the gaskets that Marshall mentioned.

Listen for a while before you do anything! Enjoy them...

As far as the crossovers:

Al has newer/updated designs. If you listen to music at higher volume levels, you might find his Extreme Slope designs suit you well. They are pricey, but many feel they need to be cranked to get the best out of them. His universal is nice, although I must admit, the pair I had on loan and used in my LaScalas didn't sound any better to me than the simple ones I built at mu lower cost (DHA2). But I listen at lower levels.

Bob's are new builds based on the stock crossovers. They will get your Khorns sounding the way they did from the factory (or better, as his parts are better). They won't put as large a dent in your wallet, either. You can get parts from Bob, to replace the caps yourself, which would save money and 'freshen' them up.

But, as everyone else has said... Listen and enjoy first.

And... welcome!

Bruce