Vintage Audio....

SWL

Scott,

My Dynaco has a problem with one channel, I've had my Pioneer hooked up for about a year now. This is my basement 2-channel system which I have my Forte's hooked up. My RF-7's are upstairs in my HT setup.

When I get around to fixing my Dynaco I will let you know, you can help me carry my RF-7's downstairs. I always wanted to directly compair my RF-7's to the Forte's.

When I had Forte ll's I did a side by side with RF-7's. I experimented with four different preamps and three different power amps.

I definitely preferred the RF-7's for many reasons.....but that is just my taste......plus, I don't think the amps I had were right for the Forte ll's.

I originally intended on hooking up my Marantz 2230 to the highs but it didn't work for some reason. I'm gonna pop it open tomorrow and see if I blew a fuse or something.

The HK430 was sitting right there, so I figured I'd give it a try. Now, you can't get me out of that room. Yes

I have a Marantz 2230 as well. I am building a little vintage SS system. I have done a lot of mods on mine with some superior audio caps, power supply improvements and what not, and I have a lot more to do, but it is beginning to sound decent and rather listenable. Keep in mind there are a plethora of electrolytic caps in there that are essentially "all bad" just based on age alone. Many of them have a serious effect on signal quality.

Hi Mark,

I'd be interested to hear how you like it after all your work is done......and also how much money you stuck into it.

I'm gonna consider having a couple of my Marantz peices (3600 preamp and 2230 receiver) gone over as well......including the H/K 430.

I figure, for example the 2230 that I paid $140.00 for.........if I have to stick a hundred bucks or so into it........it would be worth it.

I wish I still had my Peach ll. I wonder how well it would mate upstream with the Marantz or Harmon Kardon?

A "Y" splitter on the right and left pre-outs of the preamp.

In your case, you would run out of your Pioneer's main outs to the lows on your 7's..........then run out of your Pioneer's pre-outs to your Dynaco's and then to the highs on the 7's. Tubes on the highs and ss on the lows would probably give you very good results.

I just want to be clear on what you just said because I've asked this question before, I could just take the jumpers off of my rf 7's and use my av receiver to drive the lows and use the L&R pre outs to go to another amplifier that would drive the highs?

Yes. Yes

How much power will your receiver be giving the bass? The 7's like power in that dept.

First of all, thanks for making that simple. As a test I took a carver M200 T and bridged it to the low end of one RF 7 and then took the left channel of the onkyo 805 and drove the horns so the carver bridged is rated at 350 and the onkyo around 130 and I just fed the other speaker with the onkyo and the jumpers on, as I figured this would be the easiest way to test the difference and wow, what a difference especially in the low end so at this point I'll be looking for a matching carver and I was planning on buying or building a nice tube amp to drive the horns and I think I'll be finished for a while. On a note that has to do with the original post, I've never had the chance to play with the HK gear I have owned tons of vintage SABA equipment and the warmth of what their receivers would put out and their signature sound was magic to the ears and I can appreciate what all of you are talking about so while my search to replace some of those pieces that I sold (like an idiot) many years ago, I may just have to give the HK stuff a listen and see what you're all talking about. If anyone ever runs into any of the SABA stuff, please drop me a line.

• 3 weeks later...

....Picked up a vintage Marantz 1070 integrated amp with matching 112 tuner the other day to use with my RB-75's in my bedroom system. 35 vintage wpc and the sound is sweeet.

Threw my Marantz 3600 preamp into the mix for fun and got even better results. A slightly fuller, richer sound with the 3600.

Anybody that might be wondering.......vintage Marantz sounds absolutely incredible with Klipsch. [:D]

Could I ask what scheme you used to utilize separate amps for the bass / other?

Split off out of the preamp's preouts to an external amp to the LF on the speaker......and the same thing to the HF on the speaker. Passive bi-amping.....if your speakers have dual binding posts on them. The x-over in the speaker is still being used.

I've heard how these old harman/kardon Twin-Powered receivers are awesome with Klipsch, but why exactly? Because of their dual power supplies? Are they high-current designs? What makes these particular late '70s receivers so special? When I was searching years ago, these vintage h/k models (430, 730, etc) were dirt cheap, but I never bought one...

I do have a fabulous '78 Sansui G-7000 Pure Power DC receiver that made my RB-75s sing extremely well, though...