Cinemascope projection

edwinr

...All you have to do is zoom out the projected 2.35 x 1 film to however big you want it without any aspect distortion..

JJK

Zooming out is pretty much what I'm going to do. I may lose some resolution, and I'll have to contend with the top and bottom bars, but masking or a dark wall will help. I've checked out some web reviews of that new Panasonic projector. It looks like the best way to go for cinemascope on the cheap. The lens memory will enable me to view both cinemascope and standard 16:9 DVD's without heartache...

That ProjectorCentral link posted by bhendrix says it all though. Zooming is the way to go...

Hate to hear about all the fires. I read about that not too long ago. Were they intentionally set?

Fisttly I have now read this thread,, very interesting stuff, I can see where Indy questions it but like Indy stated (and I am not quoteing) if you can get those results with a black screen then who is to argue.

Very impressive. I cant wait to you get it all connected... you have patience that is for sure.. I remember reading that you didn't have surrounds for such a long time and now look at what you have accomplished, just by waiting.

As for the bushfires - yes apparantly many were intentionally set, though I dont think all of them.. they have already charged a couple of people and still looking for more.. crazy huh.. that is what makes a disaster worse when it was created by man kind and not a natural disaster.

• Moderators

I remember reading that you didn't have surrounds for such a long time and now look at what you have accomplished, just by waiting.

Yes, I had a 5.1 system for a long time, then moved to Florida 3 years ago and we rented a house and I didn't want to run wires under the carpet or attic of the rented house so I let them sit in a box, eventually sold the Polk setup and moved to a 3.1 Klipsch setup for quite some time. Now I have a 2.0 system (rears only using as mains) LOL. I'll explain that in another thread shortly.

crazy huh.. that is what makes a disaster worse when it was created by man kind and not a natural disaster.

Truly sad that we live in such a fallen world. Glad to hear you and your family are alright.

• Moderators

Edwin, I have had the AE3000u setup now for a few days and all I can say is WOW! Very nice projector. I have an inexpensive point and shoot camera but here is a screenshot I took last night from Kung Fu Panda.

I have several other screenshots here.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Panny. It is a great alternative to using an anamorphic setup that can get quite costly. There are some benefits of using an anamorphic setup but you'll have to spend quite a bit more to get it setup (anamorphic lense, sled, & scaler). Just thought I would share my thoughts on it since you were looking to go with a cinescope setup. To be honest, when my screen first arrived, I wondered if I had made a mistake not going with 16:9 since it was much shorter than I had envisioned. Now that I have it setup, it's definitely not too small and really pulls me into the movie. Good luck with your search.

post-27215-138194468351_thumb.jpg

OK, just for giggles n grins...

Point it at a black wall and tell me what you see too. I hate, again, to be a pain, I just seriously doubt those prior pics were possible on a black surface!

I will trust ya YouthMan if u say so???

It just goes against everything I know to be true being as a former stage tech in HS and as a musician, with regards to flat or especially black velvet black surfaces. It might be there a little, but NO WAY it looks that clear, whites n colors pop out etc etc... I would just be stunned if possible.

If it does... I was just taught wrong!

Thanks, Youthman. I read your other thread plus the link to the pics. Very impressive. The Panasonic has become my preferred option, particularly with the lens memory. I do like the idea of the anamorphics lens arrangement, but that is something I might look into a little later. Number one priority is to buy the cinemascope screen. Thanks for your comments about the size of the screen. I will now consider a larger screen size than I first thought - at least 120 inch. I should imagine my current Panasonic 720p projector will be okay at first until I shop around for a good price for the 1080p model.

Regarding that guy that posted the pics allegedly directly on to a black wall - I too have some doubts that the results are as he suggests. In saying that, I've never tried doing that, so I can''t really say for sure whether it would work or not... [*-)]

'Scope is incredible... We went from a 52"x92" 16:9 to a 49"x117" 2.35:1. Viewing distances are 11' and 18'. The 'scope is just absolutely amazing.

We've setup 3 lens memories, one for 16:9, one for 2.35, and one for SD DVD which shrinks the picture a little to help hide the lack of resolution.

The AE3000 make this all possible for THOUSANDS less than a good PJ and anamorphic setup. Using Cinema3, the picture is still plenty bright in our well-controlled room.

• Moderators

OK, just for giggles n grins...

Point it at a black wall and tell me what you see too. I hate, again, to be a pain, I just seriously doubt those prior pics were possible on a black surface!

I will trust ya YouthMan if u say so???

Ok, here is what I will do. It will not be apples to apples but the back of my screen is black. I'll try it against that and take a pic of it. I have no idea what it will look like but it's worth a try "just for giggles". Jason shot his against drywall painted flat black. The reflective properties between the two are probably totally different. I'll post a pic tonight.

• Moderators

I haven't figured out what the third lens memory should be set for. I'm sure there are aspect ratios that are in between 1.78:1 and 2.35:1. I haven't tried an SD to see what it looks like yet. Did you do any video calibrating with yours? I just used the Avia II for the first time. Some colors were slightly off, not bad though.