LP Question...

Coytee

Ok... here's the updated list. I received the mailers from Gary today. I'm planning on taking the LP's to work tomorow and get them boxed up and shipped out. I'll need your mailing address (I've got some in PM's so I don't mean to be redundant, but just make sure I have it)

I'll get these out and keep track of postage. If you get the LP's and decide they are in worthy shape, then all I ask for is a reasonable price. I won't second guess your valuation nor your assessment of the LP's condition. If they're trash then keep them and do as you will. All I DO specifically want back, since it's coming out of MY pocket, is postage. I'll keep track of that and let everyone know via email or PM's what the postage was and my address. Beyond that, it's up to the LP to prove its in worthy condition and I'll trust your judgement for that evaluation.

Here's the list as I currently have it, items in blue are already spoken for and the only LP's I'm taking with me tomorrow. The others I'm leaving here for the dogs to pee on.... (just making sure you're paying attention [:|])

If this list doesn't whittle down any more over the next couple days, I'll probably take them by the disk exchange or its equivilant (if it's still there and not out of business) and let them deal with them.

Miles Davis, ******* Brew, "digitally remastered directly from original analog tapes: Dave mallette
Miles Davis, In a Silent Way, "Digitally remastered directly from the original analog tapes" Dave mallette
Diane Bish at the Ruffatti Organ, Music for Brass and Organ (Medallion series) Dave mallette
Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra, Delibes Sylvia and Coppelia Ballet Suites (Westminster HI-FI and funky plastic zipper bag) LarryC
Sir Adrian Boult conducts "The Planets", Opus 32 Gustav holst (another Westminster HI-FI) LarryC
Steely Dan, "Aja, 30th Anniversary all analog HQ-180 LP" GaryMD
Beetles, Love GaryMD
Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges Play the Blues "Back to Back" (200 Gram classic records, Quiex sv-P, super vinyl profile) GaryMD
Stan Getz/ Joao Gilberto featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim (I think the LP titel is "Getz/Gilberto"??) GaryMD
Weather Report, Mysterious Traveller Ben Samuel
Jaco Pastorius (LP is evidently by the same name) Ben Samuel
Rosemary Clooney, Duke Ellington, Blue Rose "Columbia "360 sound" Dennie
Miroslav Vitous, Mountain in the clouds (with John McLaughlin, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Joe Chambers) Dennie
Pat Metheny Group, First circle Dennie
Mark Knophler, Shangi-La Dennie
Sound Track : Pulp fiction Dennie
Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek Egberto Gismonti, "Magico"
Oregon, "Winter Light"
Steely Dan, "Aja"
John Abercrombie "Timeless"
Charlie Haden, "The Ballad of the Fallen" (ECM digital)
Keith Jarrett, Arbour Zena
Kenny Wheeler, Gnu High
The Erasers, Thom Yorke
Stevie Wonder, Innervisions
Kenny Wheeler, Music for Large & Small Ensembles
John surman, Upon reflection
Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, conducted by Karl Bohm, "Mozart Jupiter, symphony No. 41", symph No. 32 in G major (K.318) and Symph No. 26 in E-Flat Major (K.184)
Julian Bream, Baroque Guitar (RCA Victor Red Seal, Dynagroove recording)
Rimsky Korsakoff, Scheherazade Reiner Chicago Symphony "Living Stereo, Miracle surface"
John Surman, Jack Dejohnette, The Amazing Adventures of Simon simon
Soundtrack: Carnival of souls
Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell conducting "Orchestral Highlights from Wagners "Ring of the Nibelung"
Chicago Sympony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner, "Bartok"
Glenn Gould, Piano, BACH: The Goldbert Variations
Robert Shaw conducting the RCA Victor Choral and Orchestra with soloists, "Bach: Mass in B Minor" (this has a name and 1957 hand writtein inside the box of three, LP's)
Janos Starker, BACH Suites for soloe Cello No. 2 in D minor, No. 5 in C minor
Glenn Gould, BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1/Preludes and Fugues 17-24
Glenn gould, BACH (volume 4) Well tempered Clavier book 2, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
Bruno Walter, Johann Strauss: Waltzes, Overtures
Archive production, history of music division of the Deutsche Grammohphone Geselleschaft "The works of Johann Sebastion Bach"
Bruno Walter, Philoharmonic Sympony Orchestra of NY, Mozart Symph No. 41 in C major, K.551 ("upiter"), Symph No. 39 in E-flat Major, K.543
Glenn Gould, BACH the two and three part inventions (Inventions & sinfonias
Goldberg Variations, Johann Sebastion Bach, Ralph Kirkpatrick Harpsichord
Glenn Gould, BACH the Well tempered Clavier Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
Karl Richter, Bach Organ, Fanrtasia & Fugue in G minor, Three Choral Preludes, Prelude & Fugue in E minor
Karl Scheit, guitar, Music for Lute and guitar Renaissance and Baroque
Zimbler Sinfonietta, conducted by Lucas Foss, Bartok Ives Milhaud Skalkottas
Joseph fuches violin with London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eugene Goossens "Hindemith Concerto for violin & orchestra & MOzart concerto No. 3 for violin and Orchestra in G major (K. 216)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" these aren't the droids you're looking for"

what a bizarre collection of disks. Really.

Man, the Btches Brew is TAKEN, bummer, that is one HOT session!

I'd like the Two Well tempered clavier pieces, Robin on a stick, the CSO bartok, the ones Larry mentioned below", Richter Bach organ, Archive Bach box,COS Rimsky Korsakav,Goldberg JSBach harpsichord.

• The
    Serious Gershwin, Morton Gould, Rhapsody in blue, An american in Paris,
    Porgy and Bess suite, concerto in F, Preludes (1 LP, inside box hand
    written 1958... I presume there USED to be more LP's inside this box,
    but don't know that) -- This could be really good (Rhapsody, American in Paris, etc.), but make sure what's on it, because the best pieces might be on a missing LP.
  • Eduardo Mata, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Ravel Bolero, Rapsodie Espagnole, Alborada Del Gracioso (Red seal, digital) These are wonderful, atmospheric Spanish-ey works. I passed because it's a digital LP
  • Karl Scheit, guitar, Music for Lute and guitar Renaissance and Baroque Could
    be good -- lutes and guitars were regularly used in the Renaissance and
    Baroque, and those melodies and harmonies were often seriously
    beautiful.
Here it is cutn paste style. Thanks Richard!
Rimsky Korsakoff, Scheherazade Reiner Chicago Symphony "Living Stereo, Miracle surface"
Chicago Sympony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner, "Bartok"
Glenn Gould, BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1/Preludes and Fugues 17-24
Glenn gould, BACH (volume 4) Well tempered Clavier book 2, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
Archive production, history of music division of the Deutsche Grammohphone Geselleschaft "The works of Johann Sebastion Bach"
Glenn Gould, BACH the two and three part inventions (Inventions & sinfonias
Goldberg Variations, Johann Sebastion Bach, Ralph Kirkpatrick Harpsichord
Glenn Gould, BACH the Well tempered Clavier Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
Karl Richter, Bach Organ, Fanrtasia & Fugue in G minor, Three Choral Preludes, Prelude & Fugue in E minor
Karl Scheit, guitar, Music for Lute and guitar Renaissance and Baroque

why all the Bach keyboard, you may ask? well, I'll tell you. Jon Lord from Deep Purple is known for nipping of with lines from classical works and Bach is one of his faves to borrow from in his keyboard expositions on stage. So I thought I'd study it a bit. mmk?

Michael

ok, right now, I can't find Dave's mailing address, so Dave, your name is in blue. Everyone else is currently boxed up, ready to take to post office in several hours. I have them grouped by owner/box (Larry & Gary are going as one package) If you want to add something or I'm missing something, you're best bet is to send me an email since I'll get that right away. Otherwise, I'll presume the list is packaged properly. Below in black is the dwindling list. I'll note the shipping expense (which I'd also expect to show on the stamp [:P])... you know what... spur of the moment change of gameplan.

If the LP's are no good, then just forget the shipping. Looks like these only cost a cup of coffee to send. So, if they're in dud condition, just do as you will with them. Maybe if we catch up together again, you can get me a coke. If the LP's ARE in good condition, (and I'm leaving that to you to decide), then you can add the postage back into the LP price, however that's defined. I don't want to make this too complicated (and hope I haven't) [Y]

Dave Miles Davis, ******* Brew, "digitally remastered directly from original analog tapes:
Dave Miles Davis, In a Silent Way, "Digitally remastered directly from the original analog tapes"
Dave Diane Bish at the Ruffatti Organ, Music for Brass and Organ (Medallion series)
Dave John Abercrombie "Timeless"
Larry Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra, Delibes Sylvia and Coppelia Ballet Suites (Westminster HI-FI and funky plastic zipper bag)
Larry Sir Adrian Boult conducts "The Planets", Opus 32 Gustav holst (another Westminster HI-FI)
Gary Steely Dan, "Aja, 30th Anniversary all analog HQ-180 LP"
Gary Beetles, Love
Gary Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges Play the Blues "Back to Back" (200 Gram classic records, Quiex sv-P, super vinyl profile)
Gary Stan Getz/ Joao Gilberto featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim (I think the LP titel is "Getz/Gilberto"??)
Ben Weather Report, Mysterious Traveller
Ben Jaco Pastorius (LP is evidently by the same name)
Dennie Rosemary Clooney, Duke Ellington, Blue Rose "Columbia "360 sound"
Dennie Miroslav Vitous, Mountain in the clouds (with John McLaughlin, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Joe Chambers)
Dennie Pat Metheny Group, First circle
Dennie Mark Knophler, Shangi-La
Dennie Sound Track : Pulp fiction
Colter The Serious Gershwin, Morton Gould, Rhapsody in blue, An american in Paris, Porgy and Bess suite, concerto in F, Preludes
Colter Eduardo Mata, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Ravel Bolero, Rapsodie Espagnole, Alborada Del Gracioso (Red seal, digital)
Colter Rimsky Korsakoff, Scheherazade Reiner Chicago Symphony "Living Stereo, Miracle surface"
Colter Chicago Sympony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner, "Bartok"
Colter Glenn Gould, BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1/Preludes and Fugues 17-24
Colter Glenn gould, BACH (volume 4) Well tempered Clavier book 2, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
Colter Archive production, history of music division of the Deutsche Grammohphone Geselleschaft "The works of Johann Sebastion Bach"
Colter Glenn Gould, BACH the two and three part inventions (Inventions & sinfonias
Colter Goldberg Variations, Johann Sebastion Bach, Ralph Kirkpatrick Harpsichord
Colter Glenn Gould, BACH the Well tempered Clavier Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
Colter Karl Richter, Bach Organ, Fanrtasia & Fugue in G minor, Three Choral Preludes, Prelude & Fugue in E minor
Colter Karl Scheit, guitar, Music for Lute and guitar Renaissance and Baroque
Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek Egberto Gismonti, "Magico"
Oregon, "Winter Light"
Steely Dan, "Aja"
Charlie Haden, "The Ballad of the Fallen" (ECM digital)
Keith Jarrett, Arbour Zena
Kenny Wheeler, Gnu High
The Erasers, Thom Yorke
Stevie Wonder, Innervisions
Kenny Wheeler, Music for Large & Small Ensembles
John surman, Upon reflection
Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, conducted by Karl Bohm, "Mozart Jupiter, symphony No. 41", symph No. 32 in G major (K.318) and Symph No. 26 in E-Flat Major (K.184)
Julian Bream, Baroque Guitar (RCA Victor Red Seal, Dynagroove recording)
John Surman, Jack Dejohnette, The Amazing Adventures of Simon simon
Soundtrack: Carnival of souls
Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell conducting "Orchestral Highlights from Wagners "Ring of the Nibelung"
Glenn Gould, Piano, BACH: The Goldbert Variations
Robert Shaw conducting the RCA Victor Choral and Orchestra with soloists, "Bach: Mass in B Minor" (this has a name and 1957 hand writtein inside the box of three, LP's)
Janos Starker, BACH Suites for soloe Cello No. 2 in D minor, No. 5 in C minor
Bruno Walter, Johann Strauss: Waltzes, Overtures
Bruno Walter, Philoharmonic Sympony Orchestra of NY, Mozart Symph No. 41 in C major, K.551 ("upiter"), Symph No. 39 in E-flat Major, K.543
Zimbler Sinfonietta, conducted by Lucas Foss, Bartok Ives Milhaud Skalkottas
Joseph fuches violin with London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eugene Goossens "Hindemith Concerto for violin & orchestra & MOzart concerto No. 3 for violin and Orchestra in G major (K. 216)

Robert Shaw conducting the RCA Victor Choral and Orchestra with soloists, "Bach: Mass in B Minor"

If this is the dude from "Jaws" Im in!

I doubt it.

This is a 3-record box set. Inside the box cover is a hand written date "Syd Ball, Nov '57" and these look to be that type of vintage. I just pulled it out to see (if it was who you were thinking of) and looked at each LP.

Maybe Larry or someone can enlighten... there are 6 LP's. The first one in my hand says "side 2 (flip) side 5" The second one says "side 4 (flip) side 3" and the last one is side 1-6. I was expecting each LP to be 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and not this other order. Any idea why?

And many thanks to Gary for making it sooo easy

I agree 100.3854% here. Gary sent me a box of LP mailers so all I'm having to do is fill, seal and ship.

Gary, when this process is done (and I'm suspecting it's 99% there) do you want me to ship these empties back to you?

And many thanks to Gary for making it sooo easy

I agree 100.3854% here. Gary sent me a box of LP mailers so all I'm having to do is fill, seal and ship.

Gary, when this process is done (and I'm suspecting it's 99% there) do you want me to ship these empties back to you?

Richard,

Just throw them out or recycle them if that's an option :) A few of those looked kind of beat anyway. If you have any friends or neighbors who need to ship LPs, by all means, give them away!

It was nothing guys. Really. I put about 20 mailers in a box (I have at least 100 taking up space in my basement and at my office), taped it shut and sent it to Richard via media mail. It cost me less than $4 to ship if I remember correctly.

Robert Shaw was one of the great choral conductors. I heard him with the Atlanta Orchestra and Choir doing the Verdi "Requiem" somewhere around '69. He does big, lush, modern settings. The Bach will be that way, and great if you like it in the Romantic style.

The numbering of the records is for a record changer, and the rule for number multi-disc sets at the time.

Dave

Dave: You will be happy to know your package went out this afternoon. Evidently it might take a week to arrive

Larry: You will be happy to know your package went out this afternoon. Evidently it might take a week to arrive

Gary: You will be happy to know your package went out this afternoon. Evidently it might take a week to arrive

Ben: You will be happy to know your package went out this afternoon. Evidently it might take a week to arrive

Colter: You will be happy to know your package went out this afternoon. Evidently it might take a week to arrive

Why oh why, did I neglect to mention Dennie?

Well Dennie.... you get my apologies. although I'm trying to look out for you. I had all these packages DONE and ready to go, including yours. Yours just happened to be the last one the postal lady got to. When I told her cheap and slow was fine we did the above. Upon getting to yours, she noted to me "you DO see this is in a 1st class express package?"

To which, I hadn't really paid much attention

"do you want get another mailer?" she asked, looking at me with a raised eyebrow

"nahhhhhh, not a big deal, after all, how much more than 3/5 dollars can it cost?"

clickty clack, clickty clack went her calculator....

"this package will cost you about $17,50 to send" she said with a matter of fact.

"I'll be HAPPY to take it back and return it to you tomorrow to send"

So, as it seems, inside this box was a mix of brown boxes and at least one 1st class package. Since this was wrapped 1st class, she could only send it that way. I didn't think there was any reason to triple the expense when I can simply redo it tomorrow.

So, sorry Dennie for you getting the short straw!!

Everyone else, the packages are on the way (single package to Gary, Larry's package is INSIDE Gary's as a seperate box)

I'm about to conclude this is the end of the interest in these, which is good. By the end of this week, I'll feel fine trying to take them to the disk exchange place & see what they say.

I think you made the right choice Coytee! No problem at all! Again, thanks for taking the time out of your life to keep these records spinning!

Also, I assume your name and address will be on the return address portion of the box? So I know who and where to send the check!

Dennie

I was going to do this one on one, but what the heck...

any checks (if the LP's are worthy) can be made payable to me and sent to my work:

Richard Albright

c/o Equity Financial Group

10414 Jackson Oaks Way, Suite 102

Knoxville, TN 37922

[Y]