LP Question...

Coytee

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rimsky Korsakoff, Scheherazade Reiner Chicago Symphony "Living Stereo, Miracle surface"
  • Chicago Sympony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner, "Bartok"
  • Glenn Gould, BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1/Preludes and Fugues 17-24
  • Glenn gould, BACH (volume 4) Well tempered Clavier book 2, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
  • Archive production, history of music division of the Deutsche Grammohphone Geselleschaft "The works of Johann Sebastion Bach"
  • Glenn Gould, BACH the two and three part inventions (Inventions & sinfonias
  • Goldberg Variations, Johann Sebastion Bach, Ralph Kirkpatrick Harpsichord
  • Glenn Gould, BACH the Well tempered Clavier Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8
  • Karl Richter, Bach Organ, Fanrtasia & Fugue in G minor, Three Choral Preludes, Prelude & Fugue in E minor
  • Karl Scheit, guitar, Music for Lute and guitar Renaissance and Baroque

why all the Bach keyboard, you may ask? well, I'll tell you. Jon Lord from Deep Purple is known for nipping of with lines from classical works and Bach is one of his faves to borrow from in his keyboard expositions on stage. So I thought I'd study it a bit. mmk?

Michael, picking up all these is very visionary on your part! I tried to be selective in recommending LPs, and not suggest what most here wouldn't like. For me, Bach wears very well except keyboard (claviers, harpsichord, etc.).

The Bartok will be excellent if the surfaces are good -- if it has Concerto for Orchestra, and ESPECIALLY Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta. Have you ever heard a tympani glissando??

I will give you $10 to sell them to Joe just so my wife doesn't see anymore boxes showing up here.

So, if I accept your offer prior to Joes, then I just bagged another $10? lol Yes

One problem Joe... that was under "local" pickup.... Not sure how to ship a box of them. Anyone driving between here and Joe's? In case it's relevant to know, Chris was a jazz musician.

Ok, here's what I'll do... forget the spreadsheet, Joe has first dibs and if he doesn't want them, I'll figure out what to do next... I will admit I'm not too keen on figuring out how to package this many LP's but here is a rudimentary listing of them:

Miles Davis, ******* Brew, "digitally remastered directly from original analog tapes:

Rosemary Clooney, Duke Ellington, Blue Rose "Columbia "360 sound"

Stan Getz/ Joao Gilberto featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim (I think the LP titel is "Getz/Gilberto"??)

Weather Report, Mysterious Traveller

Miles Davis, In a Silent Way, "Digitally remastered directly from the original analog tapes"

Miroslav Vitous, Mountain in the clouds (with John McLaughlin, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Joe Chambers)

Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek Egberto Gismonti, "Magico"

Oregon, "Winter Light"

Steely Dan, "Aja"

Steely Dan, "Aja, 30th Anniversary all analog HQ-180 LP"

John Abercrombie "Timeless"

Pat Metheny Group, First circle

Charlie Haden, "The Ballad of the Fallen" (ECM digital)

Keith Jarrett, Arbour Zena

Kenny Wheeler, Gnu High

Mark Knophler, Shangi-La

Jaco Pastorius (LP is evidently by the same name)

The Erasers, Thom Yorke

Stevie Wonder, Innervisions

Beetles, Love

Kenny Wheeler, Music for Large & Small Ensembles

John surman, Upon reflection

Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra, Delibes Sylvia and Coppelia Ballet Suites (Westminster HI-FI and funky plastic zipper bag)

Diane Bish at the Ruffatti Organ, Music for Brass and Organ (Medallion series)

Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, conducted by Karl Bohm, "Mozart Jupiter, symphony No. 41", symph No. 32 in G major (K.318) and Symph No. 26 in E-Flat Major (K.184)

Sir Adrian Boult conducts "The Planets", Opus 32 Gustav holst (another Westminster HI-FI)

Julian Bream, Baroque Guitar (RCA Victor Red Seal, Dynagroove recording)

Sound Track : Pulp fiction

Rimsky Korsakoff, Scheherazade Reiner Chicago Symphony "Living Stereo, Miracle surface"

John Surman, Jack Dejohnette, The Amazing Adventures of Simon simon

Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges Play the Blues "Back to Back" (200 Gram classic records, Quiex sv-P, super vinyl profile)

Soundtrack: Carnival of souls

Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell conducting "Orchestral Highlights from Wagners "Ring of the Nibelung"

Chicago Sympony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner, "Bartok"

Glenn Gould, Piano, BACH: The Goldbert Variations

Robert Shaw conducting the RCA Victor Choral and Orchestra with soloists, "Bach: Mass in B Minor" (this has a name and 1957 hand writtein inside the box of three, LP's)

Janos Starker, BACH Suites for soloe Cello No. 2 in D minor, No. 5 in C minor

Glenn Gould, BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1/Preludes and Fugues 17-24

Glenn gould, BACH (volume 4) Well tempered Clavier book 2, Preludes and Fugues 1-8

Bruno Walter, Johann Strauss: Waltzes, Overtures

Archive production, history of music division of the Deutsche Grammohphone Geselleschaft "The works of Johann Sebastion Bach"

Bruno Walter, Philoharmonic Sympony Orchestra of NY, Mozart Symph No. 41 in C major, K.551 ("upiter"), Symph No. 39 in E-flat Major, K.543

Glenn Gould, BACH the two and three part inventions (Inventions & sinfonias

Goldberg Variations, Johann Sebastion Bach, Ralph Kirkpatrick Harpsichord

Glenn Gould, BACH the Well tempered Clavier Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8

The Serious Gershwin, Morton Gould, Rhapsody in blue, An american in Paris, Porgy and Bess suite, concerto in F, Preludes (1 LP, inside box hand written 1958... I presume there USED to be more LP's inside this box, but don't know that)

Eduardo Mata, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Ravel Bolero, Rapsodie Espagnole, Alborada Del Gracioso (Red seal, digital)

Karl Richter, Bach Organ, Fanrtasia & Fugue in G minor, Three Choral Preludes, Prelude & Fugue in E minor

Karl Scheit, guitar, Music for Lute and guitar Renaissance and Baroque

Zimbler Sinfonietta, conducted by Lucas Foss, Bartok Ives Milhaud Skalkottas

Joseph fuches violin with London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eugene Goossens "Hindemith Concerto for violin & orchestra & MOzart concerto No. 3 for violin and Orchestra in G major (K. 216)

Now.. Joe, no offense intended, but I don't really want to box these up. I don't mind indivudual packages so much because I can simply whip them down to the post office (I presume). not sure how to box up this many LP's... I'm open to comments and Joe, if the titles above don't appeal to you, no problem.

Lemme be clear... these titles mean nothing to me so it's perfectly fine by me to let them slip into the dumpster at my office although I'll admit I think that would be stupid and a shame to do hence, the energy I'm putting into them here.

Steely Dan, "Aja, 30th Anniversary all analog HQ-180 LP" is worth more than a nickel or two. Google this and find out. This is a 180 gram LP and good copies of Aja are worth a bit (maybe even $50 or $100).

Another thing you might want to include is the number on the spine. Many times this number is an important factor in value. A lot of the list are known to be good quality recordings as well.

LP's arrived yesterday in good order. If they sound as good as they look, yeehah...

[Y]

I'm not an expert and didn't look at ALL the LP's, but for those random ones I did pull out, they all looked to be in similar condition. Essentially clean and ready to play.

LP's arrived yesterday in good order. If they sound as good as they look, yeehah...

Yes

I'm not an expert and didn't look at ALL the LP's, but for those random ones I did pull out, they all looked to be in similar condition. Essentially clean and ready to play.

Thank God you are no expert! If you were, I'd not be listening to this right now.

Score so far, 1 for 4. The Miles Davis "******* Brew" is, well BITCHN'!!!!

An

analog fanatic wouldn't believe it had been digitally remastered.

Shear beauty, dead silent (with DBX) and PUNCH. BIFF, BAM, POWIE.

There may be a pop or two, but I haven't heard anything but music.

There is a "LAST" sticker on both Miles discs which suggests two

things: Your friend took very good care of his records and LAST really

works. Extraordinary, no sign of play. I won't go into the music: If

you know Miles Davis career, you know this work, and if not, there is

no describing it.

However, regardless of what you think of the music, and audiophile is gonnna LOVE this disc!

Moving on to the second Miles disc... Laters![<:o)]

Dave

Jesus, Richard, this is extraordinary! Everytime I think I've figured out why even the best CD's don't match the best LP's something like this (in this case, THESE, lightning has struck me twice today!) comes along. A few months back it was the Virgil Fox digital to analog, now these analog-digital-analog masterpieces.

"In a Silent Way" was done the same year as ******* Brew but an entirel different character. OK, there I go...again, if you know Miles Davis you know what I am talking about, and if you don't, it's a waste of time.

As to the quality, ditto my last post. WHAT A FEAST!

Now I got to try to figure out what to pay for these. That's going to be a real ethics problem given how awesome they are. I could have haunted estate sales for years and not got this lucky, and there aren't many even super LP releases that match this sound. You guys coming to the "Donnybrook in Seabrook" WILL be hearing these!

Dave

JACKPOT!! [:P]

That is great to hear, Dave! Now, I have to wonder if Richard made it to the Post Office with my package!?!?! Just giving you a bad time Richard! They will get here when the get here! But Dave is making it a little harder to wait! [*-)]

Dennie

John Abercrombie: TImeless. I went straight to side 2 since that is the one with the title track, and many thing about all the album is worth. I beg to differ. Again, I won't go into the music since, as with Miles, you either know the guy or you don't.

Imaging: Awesome. Pressing: First Class. Surface: Silent...there must be a pop somewhere (OB would insist there was!), but I didn't hear it. Dang, I don't know what to say. It's especially weird in that the recording company was ECM, which I don't know, but released through Warner Brothers, which I DO know and have never heard a pressing from to write home about.

Dave

Diane Bish:Rufatti and Brass.

Well, you who know me know I record organs and brass and know this stuff. Can't win'em all. Poor miking, and heavy hand on the bass rendering it mushy. The brass are technically good, but very metric and no life. Diane and the Ruffati are awesome, but the technical issues drag it all down. Pressing is not too bad for Word. My expectations dropped when I saw the label. I was raised listening to sermons and gospel on Word, out of Wacko, Texas and preferred label of my father. Frankly, I was stunned they'd get into this type of stuff. Should've stuck with the sermons...

It isn't awful by any means, but after the first three a bit of a let down.

Richard, this has exceeded my expections by a WIDE margin. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and the check will be in the mail.

Now, for all the OTHER sides!

Dave

Hey Dave,

I have some ECM Recordings, Gary Burton for one, the others slip my tiny mind right now, but they are always very quite and quite dynamic! I look for the ECM label when plowing through records. YMMV, but I have been very satisfied with ECM.

Dennie

Now, I have to wonder if Richard made it to the Post Office with my package!?!?!

Well...er... ummmm...there was an issue when I took yours to the post office....

Those morons actually wanted me to pay postage!!!

They were shipped out the second day as I thought I could do. I forgot to update you, my apologies. I think that means, they went out on... hmm... Wednesday?

[au]............................

Imaging: Awesome. Pressing: First Class. Surface: Silent...there must be a pop somewhere (OB would insist there was!), but I didn't hear it. Dang, I don't know what to say. It's especially weird in that the recording company was ECM, which I don't know, but released through Warner Brothers, which I DO know and have never heard a pressing from to write home about.

I'm going to mallet Mallette with a mallet if he doesn't stop getting everyones hopes so high. Someone else is going to get a dud and think we're in cahoots!! It's all about LOWERING their expectationis, not raising them too high!!

Other than the malleting of a mallette with a mallet, I'm glad they are what I presumed.

I think I've said it before and I'll say again... Chris was pretty retentive with his stuff and if anything had an issue (not that LP's would qualify here) he would run it down to DeWick for him to fix right away. I had full expectations that these LP's would be in fine shape.

Something I forgot to mention...especially to those who might prefer cd's...

Chris had a couple hundred CD's and I'd not heard of 99% of them. my sister in law did a basic sort on them into piles that she felt were accurate. Jazz, rock/roll (which only had something like 4 cd's!), some classical, some what I'd call bluegrass (a couple of which HE was recorded on)

I'm currently going through these and creating two piles... a pile of cd's I intend to keep myself and others that I intend to one way or another, be rid of. I will make a list of them as I did the LP's and do this again.

It will take me a lot longer to go through these since I'm trying to listen to each cd. Maybe not in whole but it's still taking a while. With the LP's, I knew I wouldn't use any of them so it was a quick/easy decision.

Now, I have to wonder if Richard made it to the Post Office with my package!?!?!

Well...er... ummmm...there was an issue when I took yours to the post office....

Those morons actually wanted me to pay postage!!!

They were shipped out the second day as I thought I could do. I forgot to update you, my apologies. I think that means, they went out on... hmm... Wednesday?

Automobile............................

Thanks Richard! I figured as much. As I said, they will get here
when they get here! Now if you could just get Dave to give as a BAD
review, it would make the waiting a whole lot easier! [;)]

Dennie

Oh, I should also be the first in line for the CD's since I am the first to reply!

I WANT THE CD's!!!

Just kidding.........I think?!?!

DennieHuh?

Matters not to me who has an interest! I will say this... I have never in my life, seen so many SACD's at once. I've been flipping through them and notice something odd about the case and how it opens... many of them have what I might call a small latch on the side instead of the cheap flimsy cases I've grown accustomed to seeing.

To make a short story long, it seems more of these are sacd than not. Is that good or bad? I don't know. I've had a sacd player for a long time so it's not slowed me down. Some of them (not many) are the mobile fidelity cd's...

I put one of them on the Thorens last night and played it..... sound was a bit scratchy...... [:^)] [;)]

Keep in mind, Chris was a professional musician (upright bass) for 25/30 years and he was searching for his own perfection of sound at home. For better or worse, everything he bought and tried was to that goal.

My belief is, he felt he found it once he got a pair of Khorns, Viva amp, Esoteric SACD player and his Grado cartridge.

Diane Bish:Rufatti and Brass.

It isn't awful by any means, but after the first three a bit of a let down

Dave, I might ask that you clarify.... is it the condition of the LP that's not up to the first three, or is it the recording?

It would bother me less if the recording sucked rather than the physical condition of the LP.

How would you rate the physical condition?