LP Question...

Coytee

You keep mentioning this Chester's Pizza. At least 3 times now, probably more. Can I come too?

Probably more is right... It's good stuff. Family operation, roots from Italy kinda thing... actually started as a grocery in the 50's as I recall. They baked their bread from scratch. Momma Dadabbo had card night on Fridays and seems, always baked a home made pizza for the party. The other card players ended up asking her to make an extra pizza so they could take some home. Soon, their friends asked for one...and another... then they figured, why not put one in the window at their grocery and maybe someone would buy it... they did and did and did and did.... today, it's no longer a grocery but a full time pizzeria.

I will be making a trip to Cincinnati "soon", not exactly sure when yet. It would be cool if you guys could come down for lunch. Heck, it's only 2-3 hours and I'll be driving for 4 hours. I'll even buy. They don't have sit in facilities at this location, strictly carry out. What I've done in this situation is either drive 2 miles to the local airport (hahahaah) and sit in their lounge while eating (this is when I've met people here for this purpose). Or, I've got an old high school friend... it would probably be imposing on her a bit but she lives 2 miles the other direction and could meet at her place while eating. Give me a chance to say hello to her to and you all discover I really do have friends outside my 5 dogs! [&]

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be making a trip to Cincinnati "soon", not exactly sure when yet. It would be cool if you guys could come down for lunch. Heck, it's only 2-3 hours and I'll be driving for 4 hours. I'll even buy.

I probably won't be able to make it ... but it sure sounds like fun. Now if we'd happen to be visiting Saint Ruth (the mother-out-law) I'd only be about an hour away instead of 3....

Richard, the checks in the mail as soon as you reply to the PM with a phone number.

This has been a real hoot and I've had my eyes opened on a number of things I wouldn't have purchased otherwise. "Brooklyn Suite," is AWESOME, but I want to confine myself to one thing.

SACD. The Harmonia Mundi "Music for Compline" I purchased because I am Anglican Catholic and Compline is the "Jewel in the Crown" of Anglican liturgy and I love it. Under any circumstances I'd have enjoyed this...it was no brainer. Tallis and Byrd are are to me like Armstrong and Biederbecke are to jazz...what's not to like?

However, it wasn't the music, it was the medium. Finally, a SACD that fulfills the promise. Fiddle free. Put it in a CD player, and you get CD as good as it can be. Put it in a SACD player, and you get a totally immersive acoustic environment. This one was miked a la Dave. It does what I designed SoundCube to do. No discrete center, no .1. With the rears properly balanced and seated in the sweet spot, you are in the best seat in the house. No dual channel mono like plain stereo with all the rear stuff coming from the front stage, but a trully immersive trip into another space. Magnificent accomplishment. Too bad there are so few, as we could be in a golden age of audio recording. This is the kind of stuff that I'd go out and spend money to replace even my finest LP's and any stereo format to really hear it all.

It fools me AND my cat. OTOH, my cat is agnostic and doesn't really seem to care much for liturgical music.

Thanks again for all the trouble, Richard. You've enriched my muscial life in several ways here and if you'll get me that info I'll return the the favor as best I can.

Dave

Richard,

I received the box of the remaining LPs last week but I'm sorry to say they are all in my giveaway pile. There were a couple I thought had some hope but after 1 cut, I knew they would never be played.

If anyone out there would like a couple Keith Jarrett LPs, they are in very nice shape. He just doesn't do it for me although I've tried many times.

Thanks again for going to all the trouble Richard. The 4 I originally picked up will certainly get a lot of play.

- Gary

Still need that phone number, Richard. I WANT to pay! Right now I am listening to that SACD "Music for Compline." Totally inspiring artistically and technically. I am playing it in the music room where it's in multi-channel and the immersive quality is DIVINE. It's also going elsewhere in the house via my FM transmitter where, in plain jane channel deux it is deliciously beautiful. If I heard this single recording in advance I'd pay what I am going to pay you for ALL of them just to get it.

What a treat, and a testament to your friend. One cannot know why a person takes the path they did, but in spite of what many might think there is little doubt in my mind he was blessed with good judgement and an appreciation for the sublime. No details unless you are interested privately, but I had a marvelous friend who has had a lasting impact on my life who walked the same road. I know why, and I respect him for his choice.

Dave

Hey Richard, Thanks so much. All but one of the records are in great shape. 4 were in like new condition and only 1 was obviously used.

I am thrilled with my take and I will be putting a check in the mail in the next day or two.

Again, thanks so much for all of your time and work. I appreciate it very much.

Dennie

Hi Richard,

I just finished playing parts of the two I selected, the Westminster "Natural Balance" LPs. It's probably a switch to find classical rec's scratchy and beat up while many others were outstanding, but both these were in visibly poor condition and sounded like it, in mono to boot. Nobody will use or want them IMO, so they're going bye-bye tomorrow.

Too bad, because Westminster, a short-lived brand from the UK, really did have a close-up natural orchestral sound. I was sorry to see the company go. I have a handful of Westies that are really nice.

I gave Gary some shipping money, so get your clawback from him.

Any one will do. Check in the mail tomorrow... Hey, that's TWICE the old put off! Seriously, these things have been more than just great finds. I have to call them a blessing. I've listened to "Brooklyn Suite" twice today and I listened to "Compline" twice yesterday. You have great taste in friends and your friend had great taste in music. Wish I could have met him.

Dave

Home xxx-xxx-8555, work xxx-xxx-5888, cell xxx-xxx-5888

Duly entered into my cell phone should we pass near Knoxville when we're hungry on our upcoming spring break trip....

Hmmm work and cell both end with the same last 4 digits? And home numbers use the same numbers, 8 and 5?

I can see it now, the kiddos are screaming "WE'RE HUNGRY" so I hand the phone to the wife call one of these numbers and ask for Richard and ask him where's there a good place to eat cheap... and she hears something like, "You've been billed $59.99 for the 1st minute, welcome to Coytee's Fun House. Additional minutes will be billed at $29.99 each, hangups automatically qualify for 30 minutes minimum, please select from the following options...." [:@]

Seriously. We're all friends here but is it a good idea to post your phone numbers here?

This is a public forum after all.... What if one of the Osmonds happen by, "HEY! I recognize than number!....is this the number that's been showing up on Marie's phone?... "

What if one of the Osmonds happen by, "HEY! I recognize than number!....is this the number that's been showing up on Marie's phone?... "

This had me laughing and frankly, would have loved to insert the image of what Jim Hunter did to me long ago.... how appropriate! [Y]

If I heard this single recording in advance I'd pay what I am going to pay you for ALL of them just to get it.

Sooooooooooooooo, that means I'll be getting twice as much from you?

cool!

Why not make it an even 10 times as much? It'll make the math a whole lot easier, trust me...just move the decimal. [;)]

[Y]

What if one of the Osmonds happen by, "HEY! I recognize than number!....is this the number that's been showing up on Marie's phone?... "

This had me laughing and frankly, would have loved to insert the image of what Jim Hunter did to me long ago.... how appropriate! Yes

Too bad there are no pictures of that.... subtle, yet quite effective.... probably would've been rolling on the floor in laughing my arrse off but the fantastic sound from the 60th Anniversaryt Klipschorns kind of pushed that aside