What do i need to buy?? yamaha PX2/Grado

winchester21

I ended up with the Yamaha PX2 and the wooden grado Cartridge out of the stuff that Coytee was selling. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TURNTABLES, Seeemed like a good seal so I bought it. Do I need a preamp for my cartridge? I am running a MAC C34V preamp/2105 power amp. What else should I know before I destroy something trying to get the contraption to play records.As usual- many thanks in advance- pardon my lack of knowledge on this subject.

Phono cartidges can be divided into 2 groups; low output and high output. Anything less than 2.5mV = low (LOMC or low output moving coil); above 2.5 mV = high (HOMC: high output moving coil or MM: Moving Magnet). Looks like you C34 has a phono stage that accepts MM/HOMC. Now I don't know what your GRado is for sure but I THOUGHT all Grados were LOMC. If all I have said is true you need to get a LOMC phono preamp (or phono stage; same thing different name) and plug it into an AUX,TAPE, etc on the C-34 OR you can get another cartridge with higher output and use the phono stage in the C34. Third possibilty is the Grado is HO and I full of it.

Dig around in here: http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Grado-Phono-Cartridges

It is a "RS" or Reference Sonata, this is from Needle Dr's site

http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Sonata-Wood-Body-Phono-Cartridge_2;jsessionid=0a0108431f43e05480f4b8d8401eade6a6e4ec47b52a.e3eSbNyQc3mLe34Pa38Ta38Nbxz0?sc=7&category=925

Reference Platinum & Reference Sonata Technical Specifications:
Output: 4.0 mV
Cartridge Type: Moving Iron
Wire: Ultra-high purity long crystal copper
Frequency Response: 20~60,000 Hz
Tracking Force: .75-2g
Load: 47Kohm
Weight: 6g
Body: Handcrafted mahogany

It is a "RS" or Reference Sonata, this is from Needle Dr's site

http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Sonata-Wood-Body-Phono-Cartridge_2;jsessionid=0a0108431f43e05480f4b8d8401eade6a6e4ec47b52a.e3eSbNyQc3mLe34Pa38Ta38Nbxz0?sc=7&category=925

Reference Platinum & Reference Sonata Technical Specifications:
Output: 4.0 mV
Cartridge Type: Moving Iron
Wire: Ultra-high purity long crystal copper
Frequency Response: 20~60,000 Hz
Tracking Force: .75-2g
Load: 47Kohm
Weight: 6g
Body: Handcrafted mahogany

Looks like you are all good to go. Mount up, plug in, clean, clean clean and off you go.

Guess you missed it after I snatched it from your collection while I was down. I was gonna use it for a office gag gift at Christmas but since I am caught I will mail it back to you. LMAO JK

Have not fired it up yet. Need to set up a stable place and dig up my old LPs and see what has survived the 30 year rest in the closet. So far I have found the first Dead album in mono, Chicken Shack,and some really old Yardbirds , Spooky Tooth, and some Traffic. I gave away like 200 albums when i moved back in 1984. Kicking myself in the @ss for that brilliant move.20/20 hindsight.

Soo what have you bought while the wife is out of the country??? I know that you did not go a whole week without sneaking something into the system undetected with such an opportunity.

Guess you missed it after I snatched it from your collection while I was down

I want it back NOW Mister. I can't sleep at night unless I get a little Marie. On second thought just send my C-28 back in it's place for I fear that you have fouled dear Marie (nah, not gonna mention Donnie)

How's that!

Hey Win, You're going to have a ball pulling out those "old" records. It really felt like a flashback to my teen years when I got my turntable set up and started going through albums. Bonus: My gear back then was nothing like my gear NOW! [:P]

Keep us posted on your progress!

Dennie