Golden Ears

edwinr

Golden ears? No, not me but I can evaluate what I hear. Changing things in my own system I can quickly hear the small differences. When I'm in a strange enviorment with a system I'm not familiar with, it's not so easy. Demos are fun but it would take me a couple of days and quite a few hours to get to know a new system.

Some people may be quicker to pick up differences/weaknesses than me and perhaps you can say they have "golden ears".

Thanx, Russ

I've even played around a little with speaker and interconnect cable.  I bought some new Nordost ribbon speaker cable and matching interconnects and inserting these into my system has provided more focus and detail.  Why?  I don't know.  I'm normally an agnostic when it comes to fancy bits of wire.

Congrats on your purchase Edwin. I'm a big fan of Nordost products and I'm glad you were willing to try for yourself the improvements possible through cable. Definition of an audiophile: one who sweats the small stuff. [Y] [Y]

Speaking for the studio & (in my case broadcast/live) engineers so much of it is just pure practice. If you listen critically every day you learn to recognize problems, differences and abnomalies extremely quickly. I believe very little of this skill is innate talent, most of it is learned. You also learn to compensate as your hearing changes with age and fatique. For example, you know from experience that the mix doesn't require a boost at 14KHz even though your tired ears are telling you otherwise. I guess it's understanding what needs correcting & what needs leaving alone.

A lot of the job involves translating people's personal interpretations ("it sounds kinda yanky") into actual solutions (pull out some 1K - 3K) and tailoring the sound to the relevent type of event/performance.

A lot of engineers use analyzers to fine tune their systems but many (myself included) still work primarily by ear. A favorite CD is played and the system tweaked until the desired result is achieved. I find this method keeps my faculties in tune. BTW my "song" is Vince Gill's "I Still Believe In You." If I can get his tenor sounding smooth, the edge off the guitar solo and the slightly forward low mids under control I'm halfway home (or at least heading to catering). Find one you like, it doesn't have to be an audiophile track, just sonically revealing and stick with it. I've been boring stagehands with Vince for over a decade!

So my advice is listen, question, listen & question again. And finally, BELIEVE WHAT YOUR EARS ARE TELLING YOU! Don't dismiss a perception because it doesn't seem to be technically possible. Investigate why you feel this way, 99 times out of 100 your ears are right.

Speaking for the studio & (in my case broadcast/live) engineers so much of it is just pure practice. If you listen critically every day you learn to recognize problems, differences and abnomalies extremely quickly. I believe very little of this skill is innate talent, most of it is learned. You also learn to compensate as your hearing changes with age and fatique. For example, you know from experience that the mix doesn't require a boost at 14KHz even though your tired ears are telling you otherwise. I guess it's understanding what needs correcting & what needs leaving alone.

I guess that makes some kind of sense. My martial arts master is 82 years young. He's 30 years older than me and a very close friend. I think I'm pretty good. But he's better. Everytime I go to take him down, he does something unexpected and the next thing I'm flat on my back (ouch!). How does he do this? I've asked him and he always says; "...I can see what you're going to do before before YOU know what you're going to do!" This has to be years and years of experience coming to the fore. He's learned to compensate for his age and loss of speed and flexibility...

post-15368-138194466431_thumb.jpg

My martial arts master is 82 years young.

What speakers does he own?

LOL!!! That's a really good question. He doesn't own a hi-fi system as such. He's got one of those 3 in 1 kiitchen stereo type units, a Denon I think from memory. He often stays at my place when he visits town. Being a World War II veteran he's a big fan of movies from that era, the old musicals and stuff like that. Whenever he comes I hire a bunch of old widescreen movies and we have a ball watching the likes of John Wayne, Burt Lancaster, Henry Fonda, and probably his favorite actor of all time, James Stewart. He loves my system and he's a big fan of Paul Klipsch and his horn speakers. My friend remembers when Klipschorns used to be the ultimate hi-fi speaker in the world. I have great pleasure in telling him that they still are...

post-15368-1381944664341_thumb.jpg

I thought I might be the only one thinking that way.

You are not alone Mark. "The Dumbing Down of America" as I call it. I blame the M&M's. Media and Marketing. Angry

It really helped when technology digitized all of our art- photography and music for starters.

'Good enough' is good enough for most folks....

PB- in other words 'trust the force Luke'? I usually spin some Eagles or Chicago, been listening to those for decades, just KNOW what sounds right by ear.

Interesting.

I never heard that word "yanky" so I wouldn't have known what to do except say "What do you mean?"

LOL - I was making up a word up to illustrate the kind of "guidence" we often get. To do this job you need a good pair of ears & to be a mind reader!

I'm with you on the martial art's instructor. I often joke that the only way us old guys can get ahead of the new blood is by guile & sheer cunning.