DeanG avatar

colterphoto1

• Moderators

Michael is that the same model I heard at your house ? The pair I heard in your gallery room sounded great, I was shocked at the big sound from a bookshelf size speaker, it was the first pair of Jamo's I had ever heard.

That would be the Jamo c803. It's hard to get excited about anything after everything I've experienced in the last 30 years with this insane hobby -- but the Jamos managed to put a big stupid grin on my face. I expected them to sound good, but nothing near the level I heard when I fired them up. People talk about speakers that disappear in the room, but these really do. You can barely discern where the sound is coming from -- the sweet spot is from wall to wall. I can honestly say that I've never heard a speaker that can move the image so far outside its physical boundaries. My bipolar Definitives, at almost four times the price -- can't pull it off -- and they're supposed to excel at that. Granted, most of the money in the Definitives is wrapped up in the powered sub sections, but the tops aren't exactly junk -- loaded with very nice stuff from Vifa. Depth of image from the c803 is better than it should be, considering that I'm driving them with a HT receiver. I can only imagine how much better it would sound with a quality amp and preamp. At 86dB/w, they are definitely power hungery, and I've got them biamped using the spare/unused channels of my Denon. O.K., they image great, but what about the sound?

When I went around listening to speakers after I sold the Jubilees, I didn't hear anything that sounded bad. Everyone seems to have this stuff down pretty good these days. I clearly had preferences, but not once did I say, "O.K., you can turn that off now" -- which was often the case back in the late 80's and early 90's, where a lot of things just sounded off to me. At that time, the only things that sounded really good to me were Vandersteen and Magnapan. I ended up with some Maggie 1.6QR's, which I had for a decade, and were finally unseated by a pair of RB-5s and Boston Acoutics PV1000 powered subs. I still consider the RB-5 one of the best monitors I've ever heard -- but for whatever reason -- just doesn't sound very good with the Denon. The sound is acceptable, but flat and lifeless. I can't blame the RB-5s, because I know what they're capable of -- so it must be the Denon. When I brought the Definitives home, I was already in the mindset of selling off the Denon -- but when I got the Definitives set up and put the juice to them -- they sounded really, really good. So, I've had a bit of mystery going on over here, but just decided to quit thinking about it and enjoy what I was enjoying. That worked until I decided I wanted to try the Jamos quasi-nearfield in 2-channel -- and then remembered the experience I had with the RB-5s. I figure, O.K., if I get the same result I got with the RB-5s, then I know the Denon really sucks and the Definitiives are just masking the problem. If it sounds pretty good, then I either overrated the RB-5s or something about the load just doesn't agree with the Denon.

The Jamos sound really good with the Denon. They produce the kind of sound you'd expect to hear from a high quality monitor: They're really smooth with a lot of air in the upper registers. About as articulate of a midrange I've ever heard with a nice tight punchy bass. If you're into the PRAT thing, the Jamo has it in spades. I remember a time when a sound like this from a monitor was pretty much out of reach unless you had some pretty deep pockets. That these retail for $800 a pair is flat out amazing to me.

Klipsch has pretty much cornered the market (what's readily affordable) when it comes to speakers that are dynamic and intense, and they're a lot of fun to spend time with -- but it's not the only type of sound that brings enjoyment to the listening experience. The Jamos aren't very dynamic, but they're dynamic enough -- I never feel like they're cheating me out something. Curiosity got the best of me at one point, and I played a couple of songs at the max of what I thought they could handle -- just to see how they would do. With the Jamos 8 feet apart and sitting 8 feet back, I registered peaks of 105dB (using analog version of the Radio Shack meter), which is about their limit for clean reproduction -- I didn't sense or notice an iota of strain in the music. They rock pretty good if you make them, don't lose their composure while doing it, and sound as good turned up as they do turned down -- which is quite a trick. I hope Klipsch takes good care of Jamo.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/jamo-c803-bookshelf-speaker-review

Dean, thanks for posting. And thanks to those who have visited the House of Klipsch and thought highly of these little entries from our friends across the pond.

The Jamos that I keep hooked up in the gallery are the Concert 830's. They are the wood speakers with apple finish, 1" MDF construction, silica filled front baffle, magnesium woofers etc. They were voted Europe's Speaker of the Year in 1992. They sound absolutely incredible but do require a bit of power. They are about $2300 list price per pair however. I was fortunate to obtain a pair of engineering test models while employed with Klipsch.

The Jamo speakers that Dean purchased are the black ones he has pictured (I never did a photo session with them?) that have the 'boat shaped' bowed sides and high gloss tops. Model C803. They are a modern redesign based on some of the same principles as the C830's. Jamo uses very dense cabinetry with bracing on the larger models, light woofers for very crisp linear sound, dome tweeters that are very natural. They also use a suspension system to mount the tweeter body into so that there is not distortion caused by cabinet vibration. Kind of like the principle of putting tower speakers on spikes, but further refined. There is an entire line of this model including center, surrounds and two magnificent floorstanding towers with multiple woofers, mids and that stunning dome tweeter. We had them hooked up in engineering to a K2 amp and the C890 towers blew away a set of more pricey B&W models.

I was surprised but quite pleased when Dean took it upon himself to sneak into the gallery one night and hook them up. He has very discerning taste in his listening habits and I wasn't a bit taken aback when he offered to buy them. They fit nicely into his listening room, provide very detailed sound as his normally quite subdued listening levels (kids in the house you know). I was happy to sell them to a friend who I knew would appreciate them.

I was quite taking a like to this brand and thought I was providing top notch support when my tour of duty ended. We'd spent a great deal of time getting up to speed on the new lines and I'd had some great conversations with some of the Jamo folks in Europe. They are great people, I wish I'd gotten to spend more time with them and their products.

Michael

Do you still own your Concert 830's? Them's some smooth sounding speaks. I've never thought about it before, but I think I have to agree that they sound much nicer than comparable B&W models. I must confess that I've snuck into your gallery quite a few times to give them a listen [A] (I love the acoustics of that room too).

Yes Doc, the Concert 830's are keepers. Nice contrast to the Khorns I must say. I like their understated look and small footprint also.

I've thought about maybe moving them to the hearth room when I move the recliners and HT stuff to the basement, if that ever happens. Can you imagine them in that room with the wood paneling? Or perhaps the office when/if I sell the forte II's.

Thanks for the comment on acoustics. Tis a lively room, isn't it? It's funny that while I'm sleeping, guests at the House of Klipsch are helping themselves to the gear and several of you have admitted to digging the gallery room. I've got to get that Sansui up and running, with JC's Ah! cd player and MM5 tt, it's going to be a great listening room one day.

M

• Moderators

Yes the Concert 830's Michael is talking about sound very good, I was very surprised how they sounded considering how small they were and they were on stands which usually doesn't help with the bass. He put them on for me I didn't sneak [:|]

I did not sneak, he said I could, so I did try out his Khorns, I would have liked to try all his Klipsch but I only had a week up there ! The ones I would really like to hear one day are monsters he use to keep in his garage, the pair was about the size of his truck but taller and it's a full size truck.