ok, I give up.... you guys forced me to look at seperates.... you are all EVIL!

computerjunky

• Moderators

I really think i should stick with the RF's for now.... maybe sometime in the future i can upgrade to "the last speakers i will ever need to buy"..

My RF-83's are the "last speaker I will ever need to buy". Just finished watching a movie with my wife. Totally love them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My RF-83's are the "last speaker I will ever need to buy"

As were mine, until I had to get LaScalas... until I had to get Khorns...until I had to get a new wife.... [:$]

Seriously...what's furniture when you can have some good ole college bean bags in there?

Tell your wife you want to go back to them exciting days with her!! ya know...kinda back when you were a bad boy... not the wimp we've all become once we give them the Ring...

[^o)]

I would put 4 speakers into "the last speakers that i would ever want to own" acording to my taste. Certainly the Rf 83 would fall into the final choices. The others would be the k horn - Lascalla- Cornwall- and the Belle. There are others that I did not get to hear. I love the k horns and the other Heritage stuff because they works so well for my particular sutuation. You have some world class choices here in which to choose from. Bottom line- get on the net - get in the car -and go listen to as much stuff as you can before writing any checks. I studied this stuff and shopped it to death before making my decisions. I did a total 180 degree turn as a result of my research. In any case please continue to ask questions and let us know what YOU think after making comparisons.

Honestly- if you Started with the RF 83's I think you'll be very happy..............(for awhile )Stick out tongue

Good Luck..............

Man, Bill is sooooo right on this one. I started off with the RF-83 setup and now I have three pairs of Heritage, first one was Heresy then two pairs of Cornwalls.

Good Luck, indeed..

Just remember whichever you choose they may NEVER be the last speakers.... [6]

James

I was literally 2 hours from picking up a set of RF83s after having a loaner set at my house for a day. The dealer threw me a curve -guess he found somebody willing to pay more. That very night I saw an ad here for 2 cornwalls and a Mac 2105 amp in Georga. I got a wild hair and decided to go listen to them. From the first note I knew I was screwed. 6 heritage speakers and a RWS15 sub later I am nowlooking for a Lascalla center. This stuff makes a crack cocaine habit look like chewing gum.

The funniest thing about this whole deal is walking into the high end audio shop and some salesman comes running up and tries to show me some of the latest whiz-bang/ be all /end all speakers- usually B&Ws. I tell him that I have some vintage k horns and lascallas. They get this sick, defeated look on their face and walk away. I laugh everytime I listen to my k horns.

Other than maybe some Jubs sometime way down the road when/ if I move- I honestly have no desire whatsoever for anything diffferent.

I really think i should stick with the RF's for now.... maybe sometime in the future i can upgrade to "the last speakers i will ever need to buy"..

My RF-83's are the "last speaker I will ever need to buy". Just finished watching a movie with my wife. Totally love them.

* Hi-jack mode on *

Youthman.....looked at your HT build thread and you've done a fine job. One comment / suggestion I'd like to offer concerns your rear speakers. If I were you, I'd turn them upside down. It will get the tweeter down closer to the listener and get the woofer closer to the ceiling / wall junction.

Tom

* Hi-jack mode off *

My buddy has a Marantz- Rotel -B&W 5.1 system. About 6k not counting the TV which was north of 2800. It is nice....kinda like Muzak on the elevator or the doctors office. Another guy went the Definitive tower speaker powered subwoofer route- around 6500 including the TV. Personally i would have a low/mid line reference system and a low end Panny from BB. What a joke. One friend knows what I have in this setup. He is sick over his purchase. Of course.. 0n the plus side.. he was able to walk into the store and lay down the credit card and have a working system installed the next day. Small comfort 6 months after owning the system. The other guy thinks that I have 15 or 20 grand in my setup. I declined comment as to not embarass him. There is no wrong decision which ever way you decide to go. it is just a question of how bad you have this bug and where you will want to be a year later in terms of equipment. Just today I found a pair ol Lascallas to get a center and sell the other. 2-3 months of looking/watching th eforums/e-bay and you can be listening to the heritage system of your dreams. Don't think about it- just do it

Another plus-- the Heritage stuff soungs wonderful at low volumes- like at night when you can't crank it up- listening as we speak

Side note- i have some nice Reference stuff that is for sale - I am no longer using it. These will work great for sides or surrounds (in a 7.1 setup)

RB 81s black- 2 months old- 500.00 shipping included no box- warranty papers- RB61s Cherry- 2 months old- 300 shipped. Box- papers- everything- perfect stuff- lost to the Heritage gods. RC 64 center black- 1 month old- box - papers - perfect- 550.00 pus shipping- 1 guy in front of you with 1st refusal.

i have decided 2 thing in this journey i have found myself on.

1) i am not going to wait 10 years again before updating my system.

2) i am not going to get in a hurry just yet and spend a lot of money just to find i really wanted something else.

My immediate need is to update my equipment to something better. I am at the point where the existing stuff is actually not functioning properly. which is what started this whole thing to begin with.

So i am going to turn my attention to an AV receiver for the moment. give myself a month or two. I am both glad and sad that i placed this post on the forums.... glad because i have found what appears to be a good group of people who are willing to give out GOOD real world advice for FREE! and sad because now i have decided to pospone my purchases for a while and do some more research. and no i didn't talk the wife into letting me move the furniture out of the room so i can put in klipschhorns... :)

thanks everyone for the comments on this very very long thread.

• Moderators

glad because i have found what appears to be a good group of people who are willing to give out GOOD real world advice for FREE!

Free? At the end of your therapy sessions, we will send you an invoice. [:P]

Taking your time is a good thing. Like you said, the last thing you want to do is get excited, order your gear, only to find out you aren't satisfied with your purchase. Good luck.

Just in case though....where ya located and do you have concerns about asthetics?

Anybody want to guess where this is going?

I just read this entire thread backwards and this statement is sooo true. They Coytee whips out the photo of monster Jubilees a couple pages later. I'm about falling off my chair!

1) i am not going to wait 10 years again before updating my system.

Exccccccccccellent... he says in his diabolical voice...

2) i am not going to get in a hurry just yet and spend a lot of money just to find i really wanted something else.

Ya right... now we're going to start calling you Mr. Patience....

So i am going to turn my attention to an AV receiver for the moment

Presuming it's the item that is conking out on you, ok... otherwise, I'd personally suggest starting at the other end (speakers) and work towards electronics

glad because i have found what appears to be a good group of people

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(takes in a breath of air)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

whew.... panting after that one...

who are willing to give out GOOD real world advice for FREE!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Clearly you have no idea how expensive a divorce can be.....

and no i didn't talk the wife into letting me move the furniture out of the room so i can put in klipschhorns... :)

See prior comment

thanks everyone for the comments on this very very long thread

[:|]

Some of these guys are simply full of hot air and will take any chance they can to grab the spotlight and keep a thread alive...

[^o)]