Sony PS3..Pros & Cons...

oldenough

Had one for over 2 years now with no problems . They work fine as a dvd or blu-ray player . I would suggest springing for the remote control though . Using the PS3's regular controller is a bit wanky and not intuitive .

Also , if you want to enjoy the latest surround formats you will need a receiver or processor with HDMI imputs .

• Moderators

I've had my PS3 for about 5 months. I really love it.

Pros: Bluray player, supports newest HD audio formats, Media Server to play music from, gaming system, downloadable demos through wireless network or lan line, firmware updates via network. Very easy to navigate between audio, video, games, internet and bluray movie. Amazing picture quality at 1080p and audio is superb.

Cons: If your receiver does not have HDMI, you will not be able to take advantage of the HD audio formats since toslinc (fiber optic) does not support it. As stated, using a gaming controller as a remote is awkward. The remote is bluetooth so it cannot be controlled with a universal remote without a converter to change the signal from bluetooth to IR.

I think the PS3 is the best value since you get so much for your money. If you only need a bluray player, and you need analog outputs, a standalone bluray player would be the better choice.

I don't own one, but the ONLY complaint I've ever heard about the ps3 is the fan noise...............

Well said Tommyboy, that is one of the reasons I replaced my PS3 with a standalone player and the fact that I could not control the ps3 with a harmony remote which is IR and ps3 is not.

Had one for over 2 years now with no problems . They work fine as a dvd or blu-ray player . I would suggest springing for the remote control though . Using the PS3's regular controller is a bit wanky and not intuitive .

Also , if you want to enjoy the latest surround formats you will need a receiver or processor with HDMI imputs .

It is a media center as well, you also get to surf the net and check emails with it.

My only issue with it is the fact that the remote is bluetooth not a deal breaker but annoying.

I just got all my stuff set up to work with one remote ( X10 lighting, receiver, projector, etc..) but leave up to sony to do there own thing.

Now it is back to 2 remotes

I would use an optical cable .

Yes of course... duh. So there wont be a problem hdmi to tv and optical to receiver?? The tv says hdtv on it and 1080i can I expect something noticeable over my regular old panasonic dvd?

You will definitely notice a differance from upscaled dvd's to blu-ray's . DVD's will look the same .

• Moderators

I do not notice the fan noise of the PS3 and it is less than 3 feet behind me. I'm sure once it is in the entertainment center 12 feet away I will surely not hear it.

Falcon, I read in the AVS Forum that you can use the Nyko BluWave to work with the Harmony remotes. It is my understanding that you plug in the USB into the PS3 and the Harmony uses the IR signal from the Nyko to control the PS3 via IR instead of Blutooth.

• Moderators

Here are a few threads about it

I haven't looked at it in awhile but now I remember reading that the Nyko cannot power the PS3 on. But some argue that is a mute point since most of the time, you have to insert a DVD anyways so that turns it on.
My point is that there are some options. Some are better than others, and some are much more expensive than others.

(If your not into games...)

If you want the audio outputs and do not have the HDMI in your pre/ receiver but have audio ins..... please by all means go with the new SONY 550.

Amazing visuals and you can pass all the latest sound formats through the analog outs.

It will give you amazing pictures at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p too... U can choose based on your HDTV or HDTV Projector!

I have had it for a month or two now... and it is STUNNING how clear and upscaled the older movies look and feel too!

Sound formats are amazing too!

I have the Sunfire Theater Grand IV, and it has brought me into the 21st century!

Dead link , the official AVS PS3 FAQ thread was moved here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931796 .

I'm pretty sure that this is the info Youthman was directing you to . When I clicked on his link it was dead . I myself had that link saved to favorites and when I tried it it was dead as well . Soo , I did a little searching and found it . If you click on the link I posted scroll down to the 18th entry . The last update was a month ago .

Every question you could have concerning the ps3 is addressed there .

I don't know of any Cons I've ran across. I don't hear any fan noise from mine at all. I don't mind using the game controller as a remote control, its very easy to use.

As far as audio/video you can specify video through HDMI and audio through optical in the PS3's menu.

Super fast startup and load times.