Care and Feeding of Laquer Finished Speakers...

SilverSport

I have a pair of Reference speakers that I want to take care of...they have a beautiful real Mahogany veneer with the Klipsch laquer finish...I am used to the Oiled finish Klipsch speakers and know how to care for them but what is the best way to keep these looking their best?

Should I buy a nice wax product???...will a nice vehicle wax work???...just use Pledge or a similar product???...use a damp cloth or something like Endust???

Any help would be appreciated...

Bill

Bill,

I've always got along fine with Formby's Lemon Oil, though I don't have much reason to think it really does anything. It perks up the appearance of my mahogany lacquer's for a day or two. I don't notice a benefit from any kind of wax.

I recall Andy/HDBRBuilder posting on this. Maybe you can e-mail him.

I once tried Murphy's wood soap, but thought it a negative -- it increased the contrast between the darker and the lighter part of the grain, which I didn't think was good with mahogany. Fortunately, it mostly went away after a few months, but I"m not sure it ever fully recovered, which is too bad for a finish that used to really glow. Still looks pretty good, tho'.

I was told by a furniture restorer not to use silicone oil. So, I'm stickin' with Formby's. Damp with Endust sounds fine!

On a couple pair of lacquered that i've had over the years, I found that Endust, sprayed on a clean rag, then wiped over the surface pretty much does the trick. You have to be careful with any wax or oil, etc because it can cause the lacquer to deteriorate from the oil base in the compounds. I never liked a water damp rag because the lacquer is on a porous substance (wood) and may not have sealed the pores enough. An automotive "tack" rag probably works very well as it will pick up just about anything on the lacquer.

While Larry didn't care for the way Murphy's Wood Soap left his light mahogany Khorns, I love what it does for my satin lacquer zebrawood Cornwalls. They really bring out the golden color of the wood and since the grain consists primarily of black/dark brown streaks contrasting with the golden yellow zebrawood, I have no issue with contrasting colors. I've been told that Murphy's is good to use with lacquer finishes but you might want to try it in a small inconspicuous area first.