Pro amp ventilation..

I'm getting closer to installing the new replacement fan in my QSC 1400 and I'm not sure which way the air flows within pro amps. Since it's not and exact replacement it can be turned either direction.

What do you think, in the front out the back or in the back and out the front?

Thank's, I'm getting pretty excited to get this back in the system because it rocks!

From QSC web site user manual cheer.

The Model 1400 and 1700 amplifiers feature High Turbulence Flow-Through Cooling. An internal, two-speed fan
forces air across a light-weight, high-turbulence heat radiator. Air flow is from the rear, so that warm air is
exhausted to the front rather than baking the rest of the rack. This prevents the recirculation of heated air and
reduces internal rack temperatures. Be sure that plenty of inlet space is allowed in the rack for free air flow.

Food for thought... the Crown K1 and K2 use convection so they don't have a fan. The front of the amp is used as the heat sink and can get pretty warm to the hands.

I don't know if that appeals to you or not so just wanted to mention it. I personally like the no fan idea having once had my fan in my dbx amp come on and me wonder for a couple days what that background noise was...

I removed the fan from my QSC 1202 and it stays cool as a cucumber. The 1400 on the other hand must be old technology or something because it gets hotter than a firecracker. Good point about the blowing towards the front and making the faceplate warm.

Thanks a LOT Kouack for that clip from the 1400 website explaining how it was originally set up.

.............now to decide.[:S]

Yes 1400 is real output transformers and is designed to exit out the front. Let's ask Doc.

Reversing it probably wouldn't be a big concern in a home environment where you didn't have it packed in a rack with other hot gear. It's fairly shallow unit too so it probably has lots of space behind it wherever it's located.

You can't necessarily reverse the direction of the fan and expect the same cooling efficiency. The pressure drop across the fan won't be the same in both directions...

I doubt the older pro gear was taking this into account, but I would just keep everything as close to original as possible so that you don't have to think about it.

The pressure drop.

Is that what happens when I turn the volume down?

Idea

Actually...turning up the volume more results in lower pressure about half the time....of course it's higher half the time too. But the theoretical maxSPL exists because at that amplitude, the rarefraction creates a vacuum....guess I missed that joke too.... [:P][6][:P]

Here is the #1400 I don't have the top off the PLX at this time.

Let me go out to the shop and try to get a picture. Bear in mind the first replacement fan I bought was much larger and this 2nd replacement is smaller. I've made a metal adaptor plate so it will fit somewhat properly. I guess the tall tree looking things are cooling fins of some sort.

Don't know why the first picture did not show up.