Preamp for secondary system on the way

Audio Flynn

I'd say a new NAD (C315BEE) can be had for that money and it will have a remote and mute function, also a used Nakamichi STASIS receiver (TA-2, 3 or 4, or something from the SR series) will also have remote and mute and sounds great! Yamaha also makes a nice 2 ch receiver for about that money (RX-397 or 497). I've listened to and enjoyed all three, but NAD makes a great matching CD player. Good luck and let us know your decision.

I have a 299 in my office now with my desktop as a source for internet /streaming radio, the computer has a mute button so vintage tubes may be in the mix!

That is a good point, depending upon his source and needs they're a number of ways to achieve volume control and mute. An older McIntosh CD changer that uses the reliable Music Bank mechanism has variable outputs and remote control, and there are a number of other (and cheaper) cd players that have variable outs. iTunes and I suspect other music servers are easily controlled remotely, and there are a couple of neat iPod docks that have small remotes. Plug any, or all of these into a cool vintage amp or receiver and you're off. I always thought tubes would be a bit costly to run in a daily office environment, so how you doin' it bkrop?

I use a vintage Marantz 1070 in my bedroom system. Sounds awesome with RB-75's. My cd player has volume on the remote.....no mute, but has a pause button.

35 kick a$$ watts per channel. [Y]

I had Craig go over all my tube gear and so far nothing has worn out. Tubes have life spans but so do transistors and diodes, my 50 + year old tube components are still rocking but I lost count of how many SS pieces broke and weren't worth fixing.

I had Craig go over all my tube gear and so far nothing has worn out. Tubes have life spans but so do transistors and diodes, my 50 +  year old tube components are still rocking but I lost count of how many SS pieces broke and weren't worth fixing. 

I've got to get the money together to have Craig go over the Scott 222c I have so I can hear what it's supposed to sound like, and I'm glad to hear it'll be reliable too. [:)]

I had Craig go over all my tube gear and so far nothing has worn out. Tubes have life spans but so do transistors and diodes, my 50 + year old tube components are still rocking but I lost count of how many SS pieces broke and weren't worth fixing.

I've got to get the money together to have Craig go over the Scott 222c I have so I can hear what it's supposed to sound like, and I'm glad to hear it'll be reliable too. Smile

Before I went into tube separates I had my Scott LK-48 into Craig for incremental updates since I live close.

It was very interesting to hear the improvments over time.

I still have my NOS Valves Scott 208 power amp. I may need to find a preamp with a remote...

If you've got a amp you can use, you might want to take a look at a used B&K PT3 Series II preamp. You should be able to pick one up in the $150 - $200 range. Very flexible stereo preamp with a sub out & also a very good built-in tuner (no phono input though). I have two of them, one in the BR system & one in the office. Love 'em. I just hit mute on the remote when the phone rings.

James

At the expense of thinking outside the box..... Look at an Onkyo receiver; inexpensive, have remotes with "mute", a nice warranty, and work very well for what you are looking for. Well within your budget. I have a couple Onkyo AVR's (living room and bedroom) and just put a small Onkyo receiver in my son's bedroom with his Klipschorns. I was actually quite impressed; it sounds pretty good!

Just a thought.

Rick,

You have the 208 power amp. I'd just narrow your search to the basic preamp with a remote control. The 208 should do a fine job with your speakers and a decent SS preamp

I have to do more SS preamp research. The Scott 208 has been idle for a while since the VRD came home and most likley would be thrilled to get fired up again.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1242507753&/Linn-Kolektor-Pre-Amp

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/preamplifiers/linn/kolektor/PRD_118306_1591crx.aspx

I never have owned an electronic component from the EU. Of course the JA Michel TT is all analog so I do not consider it electronic.

Decided to do the LINN with my Scott 208.

No really adverse reviews I could find. Balance, Bass and treble from the remote for room customization will be a new experience. With 4 foot tall bookshelf locations pre tone adjustments may be helpful.

I am going to borrow the RB-5 from the bedroom and put the KSB 3.1 there. Not sure the rear port RB-5s will breathe well in the 'bookshelve spots allocated. Inputs will be a vintage Kenwood tuner and Sirus radio via DISH network. I have an extra DAC to put in but kids may have all my transports in their bedroom stereo systems( Not TV in bedrooms!).