Thats it im hooked up !!!

Tripleteck

Hi everyone, let me introduce myself... im new in here and had been touch by your so called madness. You know, before this xmas ive decided to take the leap and find myself a new job, for money but also because i was bored of my old job. One of my friend told me that the electronic store he was working in had been in search of staff since a little while.So ive decided to take a chance since my hourly rate would be improved a lot. Wrong so wrong choice lol One of my collegue told me one day have you ever listen to Klipsch sound ? Because in my mind speakers where speakers... 200 bucks or 1000, in my mind it was all the same and a trademark game of fluctuating prices. Damn you David, i should had never followed you in the sound booth of our store. But its too late... my life had change this very day ! Yeah we got Paradigm, Polk and Bose but not one of them apprauch the sound, subtility and loudness of our beloved Klipsh speakers. Ive listened to them all.... blowing up a lot of money on them is a no-brainer lol So a couple of weeks later i got myself a nice pair of Rf-52 since i live in appartment and i thought that going up further on my quest of sound would be a little too much for my poor neighbours. That was just the begining.... all of you know what i mean with that... this disease who push you to throw your money around for more. So... i purchase a nice Rc-52 to get it on my HT setup, then lol Why not spend more for a set of Rs-42 to really get it on with new Thrue HD standarts. But theres no groundbreaking moment who got you all shaky without a subwoofer to complete this out of this world set.... so i choose to get the Rw10D.... All i have to say is Omg wasting money is so fun, i got a cinema rated rig, or a private club in my own home... Now my neighbours are surely mad at me... the walls are litteraly shaking... No they dont hate me, they are just trying to stay out of that madness. My setup sounds like that : all of the above, a Yammie RXV663 for driving all those sweet boxes. A Samsung BDP-1500 Blue-Ray player, Samsung 1080P7 Dvd player, my main screen is a Samsung PN42A450... my Dell laptop is alwais hooked on it for Divx listening. On the side i got another screen for my gaming console and Desktop.. a Samsung LN32A450 since acl dont burn from gaming. Xbox 360 Elite, PS3 80Gig and this tv is hooked on a little Yammie YHT290B kit. All of this wired with Monster Cable component. What can i say ? Some of you may think that is enough, right lol Still want more !!! Thank you Klipsch for making my life better and my wallet thiner.

hehehw Welcome.. as I steal a line from Colterphoto1... Welcome to the madness!

You will fit right in.. hehehehehehe Your up late, and in audio heaven! Enjoy whatyou have and stay away from BIG Heritage.. (Speakers) you will dive right in I know it, new or used, your a gonner... To borrow a line speech from the Joker from "Dark Knight" substituting gonner for sqeeler, "I know a gonner when I hear one.. and your .........a Gonner.....

LOL

Not to help you send your money faster but...

As a Yamaha 663 owner myself I found a nice improvement in SQ by getting an amp. Regardless of what Yamaha says plenty of tests out there show its not putting out anywhere near the 95 wpc its rated at. Makes a great pre/pro though. Thats what I keep telling myself as I look at pre/pros...

Now more questions start for you if you go down that road!! What brand of amp? How big (wpc)? How many channels? Should I get a pre/pro now? What about different speakers? Heritage? 5.1 or 7.1?

Welcome to my hell! [6]

Too bad that the store i work in dont have one of those sweet preamp that youre all talking about since i have a nice employee discount ( I got all my Klipsch set for about half the price, brand new in the box !!! I know that we got a big Aragon box but 3000$ bucks is a little out of my range lol So could you tell me what nice preamp i could get with about a grand ? I was thinking about hooking up my front channels speakers to one and my surround and Subwoofer to my existing Rxv-663 amplifier... ia this the way to go ?

Your Yamaha can be used as a pre-amplifier.... if you want REAL power and a budget of $ 1k, look no further than a QSC PLXII 3102 550 watts per channel into 8 ohms... you probably would never be able to clip it... hehe... but you might want to immediately look into a new apartment...LOL.

It's a pro amp, and sports some different lookin' connectors than what you are used to, but never fear once you get past that issue, making or buying cables... you will be a fan for life. Of course, it has an internal fan, and driving a set of speakers like that even to ear bleed levels, you won't get the fan to ramp up to high speed.

Of course, on a smaller budget, the Behringer EP2500 does very well, but the stock fan is LOUD.... if you are ok with a screwdriver, you could swap it out for a quieter one.

Welcome to the 'dark side' [6]

It's kinda like Hotel California...once you check in you can never leave!

Welcome!

I also have a 663 and have an external amp hooked up to it for the mains. The sound is great, no problem with my little 250 wpc "main" amp dirving my heritage speakers to ear bleed levels either. For a reasonable price, it is hard to beat the combo of a Yamaha as a pre supplimented with an outboard amp to drive the mains and let the Yamaha drive everything else. [;)]

I've been reading the supply of 663s is starting to dry up. I think it will get even worse as people realize the old models had better amps in them than the new ones for the same money! (more money if you realize the 765 is the replacement for the 663, not the 665) If you're going to add an amp to it I guess it doesn't matter though.

The one thing the new Yamaha's do that mine doesn't is HDMI pass through when its turned off. So you can have one HDMI going to your TV and get signal from your cable box or sat receiver even if you don't have the receiver on.

Right now I have my Sat receiver going right to the TV and have a toslink going from the TV to the 663 so if I want to have surround sound while watching dish I can but rarely do (actually other than the time I tested it to see if it worked I've never used it, but thats not to say you wouldn't want surround sound while watching TV, I just do it for movies).

I've got a Harmony remote so it changes the inputs on the TV for me and I never really even worry about where the signal is coming from. But if I didn't have a Harmony remote it would annoy me that I had to change the HDMI input on the TV if I was watching movies (signal from receiver) or watching dish without surround (signal from the sat. receiver) but I'm petty like that!! I'm used to pushing one button and everything turns on and goes to the right setting for me without any help from me!!

I think the new models all have scaling too but I wouldn't look to that for much help as far as picture improvement. This was posted on the AVS 883 thread yesterday:

I've owned this unit since 2-8-2009 and have been pulling my hair out over the issue that the unit was not upscaling either the 1080i signal from my FIOS box, nor the 720p signal from my DVD player to 1080p. The salesperson at my local audio/video store (not BB!) insisted it should be working. First he said it was my cable (cost: $299 to Monster), then he said it was the distance between the 863 and my plasma TV (cost: $599.00 to Geffen). After all this, it still didn't work. So, I insisted he reproduce a 1080p signal using the equipment in his store. Even using a BlueRay player outputting a 1080p signal over a 4ft Cat2 HDMI cable through the 863 only produced a 1080i signal at the TV. A 720p signal over component cable produced a 720p signal at the TV also. Even the local Yamaha rep couldn't figure it out.

It is obvious to me after all this that the claim of video upscaling to 1080p by Yamaha is a crock, and has been since the unit was introduced. The only thing this unit is doing is converting an analog signal to digital. And now, since the 863 has been discontinued, a call to Yamaha's tech support confirms this. I was even told that NONE of their units upscale to 1080p.

I now understand why the wording in the manual is so vague.

I feel sorry for the salespeople at my audio/video store, who I have been buying from for almost 20 years. They were mis-lead, as well.

Other then this issue, the 863 is a great unit. Easy to use, feature packed, etc. But if you are buying the unit based on the claim it will upscale, don't waste your money. And the new units being introduced will not upscale, either. The same goes for Denon.

I hope this will help someone make an educated purchase and save them some $$$.

My first thought when reading that if I understand what he is saying is he is paying way too MUCH for HDMI cables. More advice for someone new check out sites like monoprice.com or others like it. Even with your discount (or when its gone) I bet you can get cables cheaper there an where you work and they are probably as good or better quality from monoprice. Just a suggestion.

• Moderators

For a reasonable price, it is hard to beat the combo of a Yamaha as a pre supplimented with an outboard amp to drive the mains and let the Yamaha drive everything else.

Good advice there. That's my plan...to have a 3 ch amp drive the front soundstage and let the yammie drive the surrounds.