Grateful Dead anyone?.....

JBryan

I just found this site - Archive.org and they have a rather large collection of Grateful Dead's live shows (6500 and counting). All have been authorized for download by the band though the recordings were pulled at one point after a disagreement but Phil Lesh was able to bring everyone back in line.

The site also archives live shows by hundreds of other artists - Warren Zevon, Bela Fleck, Robyn Hitchcock, Smashing Pumpkins, Southern Culture on the Skids and the Flower Kings to name a few I found and you can browse by formats - Lossless and 24 bit FLAC among others. The site archives all sorts of items in the digital domain aside from music-related - check it out.

Here's a list of the Dead shows...

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3AGratefulDead

Have fun

Thanks........knew about Archive.org but not Wolfgang's. I will check it out. Thanks

Anyone going to any of the shows on the upcoming tour? Very expensive tickets. I ended up getting very good lower level seats right in front of the band for both Greensboro, and Charlottesville but it was around $100 / ticket. I figured.......one last time. I think Phil is 70 now. This can't go on forever.

Thanks........knew about Archive.org but not Wolfgang's. I will check it out. Thanks

Anyone going to any of the shows on the upcoming tour? Very expensive tickets. I ended up getting very good lower level seats right in front of the band for both Greensboro, and Charlottesville but it was around $100 / ticket. I figured.......one last time. I think Phil is 70 now. This can't go on forever.

Not this time Mark. If Phil comes back to Merriweather in the Fall, I'll be there. I just won't spend the money this time around although my brother and a couple friends almost talked me into the DC show. I think I'd rather cherish the memories of better days and hope Phil has one more solo tour left in him. I'm still amazed at how well he plays at his age. Even at 70, there aren't many better.

Well, have you checked out the rehearsal videos on Dead.net? They sound great. Everyone is happy and healthy. I am encouraged that they are going out with just Warren and using a smaller band than usual.

I understand what you are saying. They are nothing like they used to be. But I'm addicted, I admit it.

I saw Phil last summer in Charlotte with the ABB for $15.00 in Verizon Wireless ampit. Phil's band was good but I have to say that everyone ought to go see the ABB NOW. The band they are out there with (Warren and Derek) might be the best they have ever had. Maybe better than Duane and Dickey. I was blown away at how great they sounded. Just amazing. Blew Phil and all his friends right outa there, and I am not a huge ABB fan either.

But of course, I will always go see Phil no matter what.

For $100 / ticket, I'm expecting the full 3-4 hour Dead shows they used to play.

The scalp prices for the NYC (MSG) show are over 1k for nose bleeds. Learn me not to mail order (though many mail orders were not filled). I'll just hope for a DSBD release on philzone or deadnet or archive.org. FWIW, there are some nice 3rd party shells for archive so u can play directly w/o having to download.

Jerry melting a Dew at MSG - gives me chills:

Peace,

TommyK

I expect that we will have plenty of tapers posting their stuff from this tour. The Dead never really pushed recordings of their reunions after Jerry died. I don't know what to expect as far as the Dead themselves offereing recordings of this tour. I'm guessing that this time they will, hopefully. Actually they did in 2004 temporarily, then sort of hid the recordings up for sale deep in Phil's site, then pulled them altogether. Never understood that. Some of it was good stuff.

Not surprised about scalper ticket prices in NYC. Show up and get one on the street from a Deadhead for a lot less.

Just ordered tix for Rothbury Festival (near Muskegon, MI) over the 4th of July weekend, which will feature The Dead, String Cheese Incident, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, and about 50 other bands. This setting will beat the hello out of any arena stop the Dead makes this year. Rumor has it that The Dead will play two nights.....gonna be quite the smorgasbord.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Dead's opening show in Greensboro was last night. Kim and I drove up and took it in. A very very good show by all accounts. The Dead are playing great already and laid down a 3 1/2 hour event last night that had me standing there speechless. They are still at the top of their game. All look happy and healthy.

They are out with a big production stage, huge sound system, and light show, and placed Warren Haynes and Jeff Chimenti at opposite sides of the stage, almost off stage. They are definitely out to show the original members off and showcase what's left......which is plenty. Believe me.

Last night's show is already posted on Archive.org to download or stream. Many people waited in line after the show to get CDs of the show that were being offered. Nice technology to be able to get a recording so fast.

The place was packed, and the parking lot was just like when I was 18 years old. Never seems to change. Same age groups, same stuff for sale.

Bob Weir surprised me with his good voice and Phil and the drummers sounded perfect and very tight. Somehow they got Warren to drop the southern drawl. All indications are they are very serious right now about this tour. They came out ready for sure and just blew the roof off of Greensboro last night.

If you like the Dead, it is worth whatever it costs you to get out and see a show on this tour. It may be the last.

I'm headed to the University of Virginia Wed. morning and then to Buffalo next week.

Mark - You're killin' me here! What to do now?

Glad you enjoyed the show and it's great to hear the guys are playing well. I can't EVER recall hearing Warren without the southern thing going on but I'm sure he's more than competent with or without. I'm heading to the website now to check out the setlist. Bobby was in good voice? Holy cow! Must have been a miracle!

Gary,

You can go to archive.org and stream the songs individually or as a show. You can hear it all for yourself and decide. Whatever taper put that show up there, he did a respectable job. There are some anomalies in the recording but you can get a very good listen. The building was boomy and that is captured on the recording.

I am psyched for the trip up to Virginia tomorrow. I hope they don't get too tired tonight in Washington. You should find a way to get in to that show tonight.

I can tell you this whole tour is expensive. Tickets will cost you but it is worth it.

Honestly, I stood there the whole time even during the break and barely moved. People were asking me how I could stand up for so long. It was just amazing. They were that good. They had Warren sounding like Jerry with his playing. They obviously planned this whole thing out very well. They are trying to sound like they used to.

So go to Virginia. I'll meet you there. I have a hotel .35miles from the concert.........right on the campus. You are welcome. Just get there. We'll get you a ticket. C'mon. !!!

If it was a year ago I would do it in a heartbeat. My uncle & family live in Charlottesville and my aunt works at UVA. I'd even have a place to stay. Unfortunately, my job comes first right now. Have fun mi amigo!