602 to 805 what will I hear?

cokid

Hefty power transformer, 3 separate DSPs, top notch DACs (Burr-Brown PCM1796s), Dual push-pull amplification outputs, THX Ultra2 certified...My guess is there should be audible improvements with the Onkyo TX-SR805 - well at least it was pretty obvious A/B'ing the SR606 vs the 805 hooked up the Polk speakers in the showroom I was in.

I agree with sjcruiser, the sound characteristics of the brand will stayrelatively close. As far as power, processing and all the other bells and whistles the 805 will stomp the 606. I had the 805 for about a year before I traded it in, it's a great reciever and at the price they can be had for now, it would be ridculous to not get the 805 over the 606.

If you are not satisfied with 602 sound quality you are getting now, it will not change that much all you will have is more power maybe a little cleaner

I think the onkyo doesn't sound good with klipsch. except for movies!! ( This is a result of the Preamp in the onkyo ) what people call the signature sound of onkyo.

If you want better sound you will have to look elseware or do a major Jump to the (906 and still i think it may have the same sonic characteristics)

My advise try the Pioneer, Denon, Sony, it may not have the brute power as the onkyo. But you don't need 120 watts for klipsch.

Friendly advise.

Thank all of you. I found a like new 805 locally. It made a differece in sound and picture quality. I have one s-video input on my tv so the satelite reciever (STD not HD) and my DVD (not HD) are run thru the reciever with s-video. This was the same hook up for the 602. The wife said the picture was better and the voices were easier to understand. I never said a word and she noticed. The audio is clearer and more precise from all the speakers.

Music was improved the same way and I like the direct mode.

• Like 1

I happen to enjoy the performance of the 805 for normal stereo listening. It doesn't seem to have quite the stereo separation of other receivers I've had such as a Harman/Kardon HK3480 but it doesn't exactly sound horrible either.

You will here very little differance. The upgrade will give you 1)features 2) connection options. The onkyo's have a sound signature

think as an accent. They are not changeing this as this is what people want.

Pioneer, onkyo, yamaha, Rotel, B&K some times they do a change up. but then you here big time about it. eg. Pioneer SC-05/07 are

not the same sounding...

If you don't like the sound signature from the receiver it is time to move on.

You will here very little differance. The upgrade will give you 1)features 2) connection options. The onkyo's have a sound signature

think as an accent. They are not changeing this as this is what people want.

Pioneer, onkyo, yamaha, Rotel, B&K some times they do a change up. but then you here big time about it. eg. Pioneer SC-05/07 are

not the same sounding...

If you don't like the sound signature from the receiver it is time to move on.

Um, if you look above you'll see he picked one up and could tell a big difference between his old Onkyo. [:|]

• Moderators

but it's still an Onkyo,mediocre.

I went from a Harman Kardon AVR55 to an Onkyo TX-SR703. HT was a big upgrade, 2ch was a downgrade. Guess it depends on what you need it for. I really enjoy my current yamaha. Rockin for HT, and 2ch sounds really good (but probably still not as sweet in 2ch as the HK).

Thats How I felt when I went to Onkyo too. The HT was great but 2 channel sucked!

and my uses are 50/50 HT/2channel. I tried a 801 (still own) and a 805 it sounded better for HT but 2 channel was still simular.

The yamaha I found was to bright with the RF5's ( I tried the 1900) the New klipsch RF-82 ,I found sounded really good with the Yamaha in comparison.

HK... I read too many issues and they hadn't switched to the newer formatts at the time... since then I don't know I would have to get one and listen.

(Note this pertains to the RF-5's not the RF 62/82 series)

• Moderators

HK... I read too many issues and they hadn't switched to the newer formatts at the time...

My HK was an older model AVR55 with only 55 watts/ch. Very sweet sounding receiver but did not have DTS or any of the new audio formats, no HDMI etc. Think it was a 10 yr old receiver. Amazing separation of musical instruments. I smiled everytime I listened to a CD.