I'm BLOWN AWAY! K-Horn / Dynaco discovery!!!

GWSmith

Thanks Bruce for your suggestions on the stereo Dynaco. Guess we have to pay attention to Craig and his experience and knowlege here.. [:)]

Meanwhile, I have been experimenting with different metal polishes to brighten up the MK III nickle casework.. Noxon seems to work VERY well. I was using 'Mothers' chrome polish (which I use on my 1997 SHO wheels) at first. Coming out pretty nice, but it is rather pitted from the air/atmosphere in that attic storage. There is a little rust on the metal 'sandwich' or transformer 'core'... Not sure what to do there...

Washed the bottom case cover with hot water and soap, and will polish tomorrow. Photos to of that coming later tomrrow evening. Stand by [;)]

..........Gary

PS. Found the other MK III's in a box in my garage.... Back up tubes (original) at least.

• Like 1

The output trannies on my ST-70 were in pretty good shape, but I lightly sanded them and then used some semi-gloss high temp stove paint... I think came from ACE Hardware. I didn't want to remove them from the chassis... just removed the bolts and lifted them a little, so I could place paper under them and protect the rest of the amp. They ame out pretty nice.

Hey there Brian. That sounds like a GREAT idea with the transformer painting. I believe I will try that. Wasn't sure if that paint was Alkyd based or Latex... Something to concider ?

Let me know, thanks...

...Gary

• Like 1

Ok Bruce. I will look up some kind of paint to use, probably a black satin/semi-gloss perhaps? Ok on your new front end board for the ST-70.... Keep us posted. Still cleaning up the MK-III bottom case covers now, coming out pretty nicely. Its the veritcal surfaces that really took a hit with discoloring I'm afraid. I put clear tape over the date stamps however, so, as seen in the photos, they WILL be preserved [:)]..

Take care..............more to come!

.......Gary

• Like 1

Craig,

Is that the same quad cap that Roy Mottram sells on his site? If so, he has them for $36. It is listed on the ST-70 pages... scroll down a bit.

Bruce

Nope and stay the heck away from the CE brand in the Dynaco Mark III they just can not handle the voltage spike at turn on. The one I'm referring to is custom made in Germany and should live a better life in the Mark III's.

Again the ST-70 is a different beast it has a much lower peak and operating voltage... 475 volts or so are start up and 434 volts once warmed up. I've seen Mark III's hit 570V and then 485 to 500V after warm up. It all depends on wall voltage..

I've had at least a dozen or more of the CE cans fail after 6 months in Mark III's even with thermistors (in rush current limiters) that completely stop the cold turn on spike in place.... CE will replace them but its still a Hassle... The product should not even be rated at 525V because it absolutely can not even handle 500V... I'd say 475V is more what it can deal with reliably..

I'm not 100% sure about this German cap in the long run but from what I have learned about its construction method and feedback from Kevin and a few others no problems so far. Even the originals right from Dynaco were failure prone...

I personally use a completely different setup but in this situation the guy wants to keep them as close to stock electrically and visually so.....this is his best option with any hope of long term reliability.

• Like 1

Hello gang!

Just thought I would let you know, that I have high resolultion scans of the PAS-2 and Mark III manuals on order and they should be here any day. I think this will come in handy, and will be a nice addition to this vintage trio.

Speaking of which. Craig, there has been NO talk about updating/replacing components in the PAS-2 ! I assume that the selenium rectifier should at least go.. Are there caps in there that should be replaced also? Appreciate the help. Thank-you !

...Gary

• Like 1

Craig,

Is that the same quad cap that Roy Mottram sells on his site? If so, he has them for $36. It is listed on the ST-70 pages... scroll down a bit.

Bruce

Nope and stay the heck away from the CE brand in the Dynaco Mark III they just can not handle the voltage spike at turn on. The one I'm referring to is custom made in Germany and should live a better life in the Mark III's.

That's why I'm asking...

Again the ST-70 is a different beast it has a much lower peak and operating voltage... 475 volts or so are start up and 434 volts once warmed up. I've seen Mark III's hit 570V and then 485 to 500V after warm up. It all depends on wall voltage..

I know the Mark III is different... but a better cap in the ST-70 would be good, too. When you say Kevin, do you mean Kevin Deal? Where can I get the German cap?

Thanks

I've had at least a dozen or more of the CE cans fail after 6 months in Mark III's even with thermistors (in rush current limiters) that completely stop the cold turn on spike in place.... CE will replace them but its still a Hassle... The product should not even be rated at 525V because it absolutely can not even handle 500V... I'd say 475V is more what it can deal with reliably..

I'm not 100% sure about this German cap in the long run but from what I have learned about its construction method and feedback from Kevin and a few others no problems so far. Even the originals right from Dynaco were failure prone...

I personally use a completely different setup but in this situation the guy wants to keep them as close to stock electrically and visually so.....this is his best option with any hope of long term reliability.

Hello gang!

Just thought I would let you know, that I have high resolultion scans of the PAS-2 and Mark III manuals on order and they should be here any day. I think this will come in handy, and will be a nice addition to this vintage trio.

Speaking of which. Craig, there has been NO talk about updating/replacing components in the PAS-2 ! I assume that the selenium rectifier should at least go.. Are there caps in there that should be replaced also? Appreciate the help. Thank-you !

...Gary

You should of asked I could of emailed you them for free... pretty easy to source those for free.

As far as a PAS 3 it's not a piece of gear I have to much respect for in fact I almost always turn down working on them. To me they sound like dung... and to make them sound great is a very costly under taken if paying someone like me and not worth it in my opinion. Heck to be honest I really have very little respect for the stock Mark III circuit but the cost of upgrading/redesigning compared to stock rebuilding is much closer with the Mark III's! That combo is just tooo vintagy sounding for me. The preamp is not nearly as likely to self destruct..... but in the end it does have many components that are mostly way out of specification or working poorly... It has a selenium rectifier and the same type of coupling caps and power supply caps throughtout the circuit as the Mark III to perform as intended they would all need replacing.

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Craig...

Thanks for offering. I never thought about asking about the manuals, but, the eBay deal is done. They were only $7 complete, so no big deal, they are printed on heavy stock, bounded and ready to read. [:)]

Ok on your opinion on the Dynaco gear. That all day listening was SO pleasing to all of our ears, and yes, a warmer or less bright upper clarity was heard, I agree. BUT, thats what we loved about them and how the K'Horns responded to them. LOTS of highend or harsh 1000 - 2000Hz. boost was heard and our ears were QUICKLY fatigued by the Adcom, which WAS my trusty pwr amp..

According to your suggestion, I will change out the components in the preamp after the amps are finished, as I plan on keeping that in the system.

I will be ordering up the parts from Kevin later next week. Keep you all posted [;)]

• Like 1

Hello folks..

Here are some photos from tonights resisitor tests for Kevin at Dynakits AND more polishing of the chassis lower covers, what a difference. I am also showing the product I used to bring these results..

Enjoy

..Gary

post-23544-13819464526354_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello friends.

My FIRST shipment came in today. This one from Kevin at Dynakits! The following photos show how nicely packaged the components were for shipping.

I put my order in and talked with Kevin personally on the phone. He said the order should arrive on Monday (today) and it DID. It was a nice laid back converstation and chatting with him this first time was pretty much like having known him for many years. Please enjoy the following photos, as I unpacked the new goodies [:)] ...

.......Gary

post-23544-13819464686384_thumb.jpg

• Like 1