I'm BLOWN AWAY! K-Horn / Dynaco discovery!!!

GWSmith

Hello folks.... Here is what went on today with the MK III's - a photographic survey...

Here, you can see both undersides. Note the tube area on the card shows NO sign of burn. Shows very little use. Although, I am not sure how long it takes to start blackening in that area...

post-23544-13819456180338_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Shown here is the factory red crayon marking #5 on the top of the KT-88............ both had these showing a kind of matched or burned in pair. Same on the other set only they were marked with #3 as mentioned in the opening report..

post-23544-1381945621437_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, there you have it, thats it for today... Craig has pointed me toward Kevin's 'Dynakit' website and I will be ordering my replacement parts very soon.

Take care, and I hope you have enjoyed the higher resolution photos should you need to mouse click a couple times to see a bit closer.

All best,

Gary

• Like 1

My added thought was this... With the exception of the digital source and NOT a turntable or reel to reel at hand to try, we were actually listening to a sound that, if you had the money, could possibly have been heard back in 1965-68 since this is the time ALL these components exsisted ! The bass and stereo image from this sounds SO GOOD even by today's standards.

I felt the same when I listen to my vintage tube equipment (1954 Grundig Majestic H-Fi and my Dynaco ST70 tube amp).

Enjoy your "new" system!

Hello Craig...

Thank YOU for showing the components that need to be replaced using my amps as an example! I was looking at that 'quad' cap, and that is going to be interesting undoing all EIGHT of those connections under there, but I am glad I have photos and it will be nice to have one to look at as a guide then the work begins (during next month).

Hello Southern, thanks for your comments as well, this old stuff is GREAT ! [:)]

Warmly,

Gary

• Like 1

Thank YOU for showing the components that need to be replaced using my amps as an example! I was looking at that 'quad' cap, and that is going to be interesting undoing all EIGHT of those connections under there, but I am glad I have photos and it will be nice to have one to look at as a guide then the work begins (during next month).

Gary,

When I recapped my Dynaco ST70 a few years ago I kept the original quad cap in place, electrically disconnected it and installed 4 single caps underneath. Just a suggestion if you don't want the hassle of removing the quad cap.

When I replaced the original selenium diode I recall having to install a resisitor in series with the new diode. I don't recall the reason but I believe that the selenium diode had different charactics then the new diode. I recall experiementing with different values of resisitors to obtain the same voltage on the output.

When I recapped my Dynaco ST70 a few years ago I kept the original quad cap in place, electrically disconnected it and installed 4 single caps underneath. Just a suggestion if you don't want the hassle of removing the quad cap.

When I replaced the original selenium diode I recall having to install a resisitor in series with the new diode. I don't recall the reason but I believe that the selenium diode had different charactics then the new diode. I recall experiementing with different values of resisitors to obtain the same voltage on the output.

The Dynaco Mark III is a completely different beast! what works or is needed on the ST-70 will not work or is not necessary on the Mark III. This is the case with both your examples... Not trying to be rude just trying stop possible mistakes before the happen.

Craig

• Like 1