I'm BLOWN AWAY! K-Horn / Dynaco discovery!!!

GWSmith

WOW! Hello everyone. Thanks so much for your interest and compliments on my vintage audio setup. This goes back to last year. The system is STILL running nicely and looks just like the photo. ONLY addition is a Music Hall 5.1 TT as shown in the signature.

JUST IN, the DVD/CD scorce player will be changed out soon, brand new Pioneer Elite multi-player will go in just under the Dynaco PAS-2 preamp. Not sure if the Sony Trinitron will go to a small flat screen... I would just stay with a screen in the 30 inch range (prices are really coming down).

The dedicated theater is where all the latest stuff is, but its so nice to come back to the old days listening in the music room to what the wealthy could afford back in the 60ies - I know I could not even dream of this stuff back then [;)]

Nice to see you here gnatnoop !

Best to everyone.

.........Gary

• Like 1

Tigerman, your restoration came out great. Nice job. I'm sure you are enjoying.

I have a question about the Genelax KT-88s. I know this was well over a year ago but did you ever compare the old and new Genelax closely? I would be interested to know just how close a copy the new is to the old.

Hello Mark, and you are RIGHT, I listened to you and those amps just keep on sailing right along with NO hitches [:)] I am sorry that I can not report a comparo between the two generations of the Gold Lions... The originals had some weird qualities VISUALLY when running in my darkened listening room. Each amp had one that seemed normal, and a second tube that was strange. A blue huge of some type and the other, the plates had a very HOT spot in the center and was glowing orange! Mind you, the amps still worked fine to a few of our ears that one night PRE-restoration. The NEW Gold Lions (all four) DO have a blue rectangle 'projection' on the glass, all of them the same, so I bellieve this is normal...

I didn't even give much thought about continued use of the originals, as I read some great things about 'New Sensor' corp's. recreation of these tubes. Thick glass was one point made. I bought a matched quad, setup the bias voltage according to the fellow at Dynakits and the rest is continued listening pleasure [:)]

More then the tubes, was the concern over those darn coupling caps. I started with the Sonics as suggested. But, the sound seemed a but muffled / less high freq. response then the ORIGNAL caps!, and I was disapointed. So, the man at Dynakits offered his for me to try, and I did this by leaving one amp set with the Sonics, and the other amp with the Illinois. I set the preamp to MONO, sat dead at center between the K'Horns, and DID hear the rolled off highs from the amp using the Sonics! But this was the only comparo I made.

Wish I had more info on listening tests between the orginal and the reissue..

.....Gary

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 4/21/2009 at 6:35 PM, Tigerman said:

First turn on which was WITHOUT event for both amps was wonderful. Hearing the light ticking sounds of the tubes heating up and the scent from the heated glass was pretty exciting!

According to Kevin, he advised the bias voltage be set at 13.0v after warming up. Thats what they were set at, and after 5 minutes, they stabilzed and never moved from that setting. They were run for about 15 minutes, but no audio was put through them. I wanted to turn them off, and send these photos out to you all asap.

Later, will be the actual final hookup. All brand new interconnects of good quality, IN and OUT ... and then...... the LISTENING TESTS. Stay tuned[;)]

......Gary

post-23544-13819465270424_thumb.jpg

I haven't read the entire thread yet but had to ask about this 13 volt bias setting. Where are you measuring?

After giving it some thought I bet your 13.0 volt is a typo error on your part and you're setting it to 1.3 volts which makes perfect sense.