Are the RS-7 speakers bipole or dipole?

Kain

Neither. They are sort of a hybrid. All of the drivers fire at the same time, like a bipole, but they are designed to give a more diffuse sound, like a dipole.

So, if you just had to classify them as bipole or dipole, would they fall under the bipole category due to their driver movements?

I have another question. If they use monopole surround speakers in "real" movie theaters, why

have speaker companies made bipole and dipole surround speakers for

home theaters? If monopoles are what they use in "real" movie theaters,

does that mean they are also more preferable in home theaters over bipole or dipole surround speakers?

• Moderators

I think the answer is space, the distance you sit from the speaker and the amount of speakers used.

In a movie theater the have enough room to use many more speakers, at home you are closer to the speaker so the speaker tries to disperse the sound from side to side to help fill and give a wider sound field from less speakers.

Thats kind of the idea if I recall it correctly.

• Moderators

One thing I found is once I was able to have a dedicated home theater, I now have no desire to go back to a "real" movie theater. LOL. Just because it's a "real" movie theater doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Most of the time, I have found they are not.

I have another question. If they use monopole surround speakers in "real" movie theaters, why
have speaker companies made bipole and dipole surround speakers for
home theaters? If monopoles are what they use in "real" movie theaters,
does that mean they are also more preferable in home theaters over bipole or dipole surround speakers?

"Real" movie theaters use monopole surrounds - sometimes. Some of them use bipole or dipole designs. The Klipsch KPT-8-VB uses 2 horns and a single woofer in a very similar configuration to the RS-7.

Lots of "real" movie theaters also have mono sound systems or crap for stereo systems. A theater I used to manage had really nice Voice of the Theater stage speakers, and the crappiest, tinyest surrounds I've ever seen. Huge change in sound quality as the sound went from front to back. But it was a "real" movie theater.

Mono-,di-, and bi-pole speakers just give you more options. Some are better suited to fewer speakers in smaller rooms, while some are better suited to large rooms and multiple speakers.

One thing I found is once I was able to have a dedicated home theater, I now have no desire to go back to a "real" movie theater. LOL. Just because it's a "real" movie theater doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Most of the time, I have found they are not.

That is why I don't go to any of our local movie theaters. The sound is seriously slacking! I've never heard any theater with worse sound. Unfortunately, there are NO Klipsch theaters around................. But, dispite the sound, I just may have to go watch the new X Men though when it hits theaters here!