Higher End EQ on Bose 901's as Surrounds

Submarine

Has anyone used 901's strickly as surrounds for both HT and multi-channel music ? I'm looking for much more than my in-ceiling surround speakers for both HT reflected sound and direct multi-channel sound reproduction.

I read some guys have added higher end EQ's on 901's to flatten out the mids and add sparkle to the highs. I'd probably use the processor to cross over both the mains and surrounds together between 80-100 Hz with a SVS Ultra 13 covering sub duty.

The 901's direct/reflective design appears to have potential as ideal surrounds, if a better/additional EQ can provide improvement to the sound reproduction as surrounds. My room is unusual as I have to mount surrounds in a large vaulted ceiling.

Can anyone share experiences and thoughts here? Any particular 901 series that may possibly sound best?

Thanks

Thanks

You need to use the Bose EQ so that the speakers perform correctly you cannot just use any old EQ high end or otherwise. Adding all those additional electronics to the path with terribly in-efficient speakers is NOT the way to go. I would suggest more Klipsch bookshelf speakers of the same series in the back to maintain the system synergy. Use the 901's in a 2 channel system elsewhere if need be.

The earlier Bose 901 series are problematical - lower efficiency and up through at least the Series III they tended to "garble" when handling deep loud bass simultaneously with higher stuff, e.g., the opening of "Thus Spake Zarasthrusa." By the Series VI, the last series, Bose seemed to have solved those issues. The VI's are quite efficient and listenable speakers and, used with their maching equalizer, should be fine in the setup you envisage. My VI's date from 1988, still work perfectly and I use and enjoy them in a two-channel setup in my backup computer room.

Multi-pole designs can work nicely for surrounds, especially for movie effects. It may be preferred less for music surround since frequency response accuracy is important. I would be careful adding too much HF EQ. Reverb does not have much top end so a dull surround can sound more natural for movies.

Your biggest problem is that the 901's are not going to be efficient so they will puke out quicker with high SPL. This is where Klipsch systems with horn loading are the king.

Guest " "

I have a set of 901's VI and they sound pretty good at any volume I put thru them.....the sensitivity question is importtant more so if you use them with other speakers....putting spl 98 speakers with spl 104 speakers would not produce the expected sound image unless you use the reciever setup controls to tweak balalnce.

I don't think the sensitivty question is a big deal....if I use khorns I'm running .25 of a watt out available 260 watts per channel and if I use the 901's I'm running somewhere between .25 of a watt and .30 of a watt.

The eq question in my mind is less impotant for surrounds since I have not come across any 5.1 or 7.1 material where the surrounds have the same frequency bandwidth content as the centers and mains, so Im not so sure that eq'ing extra is really needed on 901's.

Here's one of the best 901 article's I've read. He used a meter to accurately measure each Hz on 901's and added some good comments. Extremely reflective surface like tile appears to be best. I read that softer surfaces like dry wall absorb allot of mid and high frequencies. Matching the Klipsch's should be best for most music. I'm going to keep loking at proper positioning and set-up.

• Moderators

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-10518634_ITM

Bose 901's: Review with SPL's measuring all Hz

It's not really if the bose can reach high spl's, it would just take twice the amp, probably more which makes it tough to balance in a ht setup unless you run separate amps.

As far as rear speakers reflecting off the back walls (901's) that would probably not be bad at all for surround effects.

For the reflective surface, just put some mirrors back there, this way interested people can see the business side of the speaker too.

btw, my mention of a mirror back there was serious, not just because a mirror is 'reflective' !! It's a hard surface which is why I mentioned it, the fact that it's visually reflective might just bring some conversation to the event.

I'm getting all caught up in what the definition of reflective is...