Another wire thread

cc1091

I brought home my Rotel amp from its five week visit to the repair shop (yeah, I did something really dumb, fortunately the Rotel warranty covered ALL the cost). I had been "suffering" with my Denon receiver's built-in amps during the interim and had used the connecting cable that had run from the preamp out to my Rotel amp elsewhere. When I reconnected the amp, I instead used Radio Shack gold RCA plugs. Usually I have no problem with these. They are not high grade connectors, but are many times better than the connectors that come with the equipment. Unfortunately, this time I could tell the difference. I was expecting to hear glorious sound once again. Instead, I heard good sound that was a little more bass oriented than I was used to. Also the treble was not well defined and seemed lifeless. I felt sick. Had I done something to this amp that would never let it return to its former open sounding, powerful self? Hoping to recreate my exact set-up from before the mishap, I searched around for that set of Monster Cable interconnects and placed them where the Radio Shack cables had been.

Ahhhh...beautiful sound once again. Now I am making plans to switch out ALL of my Radio shack cables for something better. I have been a proponent of purchasing high quality speaker cables before now, but now I see the light for the highest quality interconnects too.

Let the games begin...

2.5 weeks ago I put an Audio Quest Coral between my MSB DAC and pre amp and for the fun of it I put a nice older pair of .5 meter AQ Jade interconnects between my Sherwood Newcastle Amp and preamp.

Better sounstage and less ringing or shrill sound on the highs. Seemed to sound less "digital".

The improvement was the real deal; no placebo.

I recommend the Radio Shack cables for neophytes and the other rooms of the house. The number one rig in the house ought to get the good stuff!

Dont tell anyone but.....

I heard a bigger difference in my system changing from Monster Cable to Synergistic Silver speaker cable than I did when I changed from a Yamaha Receiver/Rotel power amp combo to an Accuphase integrated 2 channel amp.

The cable was recommended to me by the local Klipsch engineer and was just about the best $500 I have spent on my system (4 runs @ 3 metres each).

For interconnects I now use primarily Mogami and one other (name escapes me now). These made a huge difference to the sound-stage and the Bass presence.

Of course it is easy to prove in a DBT that there is no difference - apparently. So this is all just my lying ears fooling me into thinking my sound improved.

And a damn good job they are doing about it too...

Congrats on your "discovery".

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

If after listening carefully and comparing cables using a variety of recordings, the more expensive cables sound better and you can aford them and you are sure that the money couldn't be better spent making other improvements in your system, go for it! It's what sounds best to you and you alone that counts.

Has anyone set up blind experiments involving a reasonable number of listeners, switching between various cables in a high quality system and published the results?

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 02-22-2002 at 04:34 AM

Ahhh, better

"shucks"...you guys are so darn clever!

Keith,

Did you make that up all by yourself? Some good

"big" word usage there.

Mobile,

Thanks, without your addendums to each and every post of mine I'd feel like I lost a pal (a 600 lb gorilla on my back).

This message has been edited by John Warren on 02-22-2002 at 07:43 PM

quote:

Your Welcome, John. I'd like to thank you as well. Without your cheerful contributions to this forum, I would forget the true and unrelenting meaning of the words status quo.

Now THAT'S a witty repartee!

(but just between you and I, what does "unrelenting meaning" actually mean anyway?)

This message has been edited by John Warren on 02-22-2002 at 08:38 PM

I have been a speaker wire proponent for quite some time, but I was unprepared for the magnitude of difference that quality interconnects from the pre-out to the amp made. For all the improvement, I'm sure there is a reason that the retailer gave me (for free) this somewhat raggedy pair of Monster cable interconnects. Time to go out any buy new. I see a few of you have a preferred brand, anyone else want to suggest a certain brand? Or conversely, is there any brand to avoid (besides Radio Shack).

There are a number to choose from:

Cardas?

Tributaries?

WireWorld?

AudioQuest?

Kimber cable?

Monster?

XLO?

Straight Wire?

Analysis Plus?

MIT?