Welborne Lab Laurel IIX Ultimate

edster00

For those of you looking for a bit more power there is a pair of Welborne Lab 300B Laurel IIX monoblocks at AudiogoN:

Laurel IIX

These are 8wpc I believe.

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connects

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-22-2002 at 06:58 PM

There is a second pair out there as well. I have been conversing with that owner over the last couple of days. I just shot this guy an Email and asked him the following questions:

1. Are you the original owner?

2. Did you build them or were they assembled at the factory?

3. If you built them, was it the first kit you built? If not, how much experience do you have with electronics?

4. Do you have pictures? I would really like to see some shots of the wiring if these were not factory assembled.

5. I have heard of hum problems with these units. Do your amps hum?

6. Why are you selling?

We'll see what he says...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 02-22-2002 at 10:29 AM

These have been on my mind since reading the post this morning. The Laurels usually cost more than Moondogs. I know they use 300B tubes, but do they offer any significant advantages/disadvantages to Moondogs? Downside would be an immediate need to buy a preamp , possibly a phono stage, plus give up pursuit of K-Horns. ThinkingThinkingThinkingHeadache!

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 02-22-2002 at 03:04 PM

Excellent questions to ask, Mike.

Shape, I am not an authority on the differences in the amps/tubes, but I do believe the 300B's give a bit more bass, not sure about other comparisons to a SET amp. Also, the Laurels are rated at ~8wpc (for you power hungry tubies!) as opposed to ~2.5wpc for the Moondogs.

------------------

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-22-2002 at 06:59 PM

Actually, I find the bass from a good implementation of the 2A3 to be more refined and articulate, with better control than a typical 300B. In general, the 300B is a more thick sounding; it seems to be a more rich, and romantic sounding type presentation. The 2A3 sounds more neutral and open. In addition, I think it sounds more quick than the 300B. The 300B is also a tad bit darker to me. Of course, it is more powerful and does have a very rich midrange, but ultimately, the 2A3 seems the more clear and unfettered of the two tubes. I really like both tubes as both have good qualities. I have heard both done VERY well. The 2A3 just sounds more holographic with less substance, perhaps. I will be listening to a 300B amp soon...been looking forward to this since I havent heard a good 300B in quite awhile.

Just to let you know, both tubes have their proponents.

kh

Mobile says.....

quote:

I will be listening to a 300B amp soon...been looking forward to this since I havent heard a good 300B in quite awhile.

Not since WE stop production in 1956 I'll bet? I certainly for one cannot wait for your review!!! Will you vanity publish it all over this board or will you subject it to a critical editorial review by a group other than teenagers? (I'll beat you to the punch....

"John, you mean like Stereo Review")

Mobile says....

quote:

Just to let you know, both tubes have their proponents.

Please be more specific, you and exactly who else?

BTW, thanks for this tid-bit, I wanted to know that piece of "insider info".

Mr. Warren's knowledge of anything audio outside of his horn-rimmed perSPECtive can best be summed up in a few words quoted from past accomplishments:

"I dont have time for subtlety..."

How can one be any more clear, any more frank and to the point?

The date reference and "teenager" line was indicative of the above quote as well, falling right in line with other past retorts.

I think I'll hook up my Phase Linear from the closet and listen to some John Philip Sousa on my Distortion boxes...

kh

Mobile said....

quote:

How can one be any more clear, any more frank and to the point?

Well, at least I can make "my" point without having to go on and on and on and on and on.....

Mobile said....

quote:

I think I'll hook up my Phase Linear from the closet and listen to some John Philip Sousa on my Distortion boxes

The "whimsy" is gone? How low you have sunk!

4 the Record-

I like JPS and Julian Hirsch (of whom I have met...Hirsch, not JPS of course). Hirsch was the founder of the AUDIO LEAGUE, a 50s not-for-profit that pulled no punches when it came to equip

reviews. I have a number of the original publications including reviews on the National LEE Catenoid (that's a horn flare Mobile, try to keep up), EV Patrician, EV Cardinal and the Stephens "Fold-A-Flex". All of these systems would make JPS's weak in the knees.

Long live JPS (he's really dead Mobile, that's just a figure of speech)

JohnBoySousa.jpg

Long live Colonel Klink (he's dead too, I just think he's cool)

klink.jpg

This message has been edited by John Warren on 02-22-2002 at 11:05 PM

Ahhh.... no bad blood here. So you aren't watching the Olympics, eh? No Sarah Hughes reruns? Four-Man Bobsled all for naught?

Yes, the Horrors of Fox. Now that song is burrowing within my skull like the proverbial Ohrwurm .

The perils of the Klipsch Forum...

kh

ps- I see Sir Warren has left a rather flamboyant and stylish post, breaking from his usual with a rash of photo inserts. A lover of Colonel Klink? MY My, John, this is the most I've seen you let go! It's good to see you up and about (Of course, the "keep up" line was a bit cheap, but you made up for it with the Klink shot.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-22-2002 at 11:07 PM

quote:

Originally posted by John Warren:

Not since WE stop production in 1956 I'll bet?

Is "WE" Western Electric? If so, is that in reference to WE tubes or amps?

The reason I asked my question was because the Laurel IIX's on Audiogon are priced less than the Moondogs and both have the upgraded components. The Laurels are priced higher on the Welborne's. So I was curious as to what advantages or benefits did they have over Moondogs to justify the cost difference? Not having the opportunity to actually listen to both amps places many of us at a disadvantage. To great degree, it is comforting to rely on the review of others here, so pros and cons specifically related are truly helpful. Of course light hearted humor has its benefits too.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

The plot thickens... I may have spoke too soon. Since they were taken off the website, I assumed they were sold. However, the owner sent me a picture of them just a couple of hours ago (I emailed him when the ad was still present). He said he removed the ad because he recieved so many off the wall questions and requests, and people were really low balling him. He mentioned he was going to go through a buddy of his who works at a high end shop on the north side of Chicago. He also said the unit originally came with a pair of WE 300B's but he sold them for 2 pairs of TJ Meshplates. This unit comes with a pair of those.

BTW, I made him an offer which he accepted, but it is contingent on getting a picture of the wiring.

I am attaching a picture of the amps...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

That review makes me want to build a pair of Laurels myself!

My first Klipsch's were (still are) a pair or Heresy's I bought new in '77 for $350. They were a special order for some schmo who paid half down and never came to pick them up. I had a pair of Yamaha speakers stolen from me (along with all the rest of my gear) and the salesman talked me into listening to the Klipsch's...how could I refuse to buy them when I could get them for the other half that was owed on them?

I sure hope you end up with those amps!