Welborne Lab Laurel IIX Ultimate

edster00

Well... I just made the deal with him. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into and I really can't afford them, but I'd like to find out what I have been missing. Jeez, I still don't have my preamp yet so I don't even know if I'm gonna be able to hook these things up. I guess I'll have to use my Yamaha C4 (SS) in the interim.

He told me he is selling them because he misses his Jeff Korneff 45's (he has Jeff's preamp as well). The Laurel's go lower and louder, but he misses the mids from the 45's. He told me these amps are perfect (3 months old) and has more upgraded caps and resistors than what the Ultimate's offer (7 Blackgates, Audio Note paper-in-oil coupling caps, tantalum resistors, etc). Tubes include TJ Meshplate 300B's, 4 NOS 6SL7, 2 Mullard GZ37 rectifiers and 6AC7 drivers. Not sure what all that means but it sounds good. Smile.gif

He plans on shipping them COD to me by Federal Express. Does anyone have any advice? He will send me a picture of the insides tomorrow after his brother gets off work.

Here is the link...

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1019698218&2&3&4&

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 02-24-2002 at 05:04 PM

Where are all the "experts" when you need them?

My personal opinion is you can't really go wrong. If you get them and hate them you can surely sell them for what you paid (or very close to it). That is exactly what I did with the Moondogs. I really wanted to see what all the fuss was about, I had been looking for over a year for that "great" first watt. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, if I had hesitated I would have missed out.

I definately think you will like the Laurels better than the Yamaha (I have had a Yamaha CR-1020 hooked up to my Heresy's since the '70's). I love the Yamaha, but it just can't compare to the tubes. I would recommend you also listen to the Laurel's hooked up to your Chorus II's so you can get the benefit of the bass that the Heresy's just don't have.

Just my 2¢!

------------------

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-23-2002 at 11:24 PM

I was looking at the Welborne site tonite, and the prices on the kits for the Laurels are not much different the the Moondogs.

I think it boils down to the taste of the circuit you want.

300b or 2A3?

I think your gonna REAL happy, either way Mike.

Plese hook them up to the Chorus II's and report.

HMMM....Chorus X-over using custom wound autoformers ala vintage Cornwall type style 3-way with Jensen PIO's? SWEET!!!

COOL! Good luck, Mike!

This summer trust me, I will convert!!!!

Mike.

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-23-2002 at 11:46 PM

Thanks Ed! They will be hooked up to the Chorus's for awhile until I get my bedroom mods done. The Chorus's will pull double duty with the HT and I will have to swap the wires depending on what I'm listening to. I will now need some decent wire (2m runs) for these and without starting WWIII, would like a couple of recommendations. I have some Monster 12ga that I can compare it to.

The other problem I may have is one amp will be 2 feet from the preamp but the other will be 6 feet away(separated by the TV). Will it be OK to have one RCA cable 4' longer than the other, or should I have one speaker wire that's 2m longer than the other? I'll keep you posted...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

Congratulations on your purchase. I think Ed is right that if you decide you don't like the monoblocks, you can probably get all of your investment returned to you upon sale.

I'm not sure about the AE-3, but you should be able to hook the phono pre directly to the Laurels so you can listen to vinyl at least.

I made things simple for my connect. Some think it best to locate each block at each speaker and keep the speaker to amp connection short. Others feel that if there is to be a long connect it should be the speaker wire from amp to speaker instead of amp to preamp. I opted for longer connects to speaker, centralizing the mono blocks with short connects to preamp. This may not be technically correct, but was partly dictated by location of components, location of speakers, and shape of the room. I also think you have to be aware of the ratio of cable lengths to each other, one should not be over 20% less/more than the other.

Beware that you're going to yearn to hear the Laurels in full bloom on something more than the Heresys.

Most of all, enjoy your new purchase!

Klipsch out.

Well, I just spent an hour on the phone with Miles and he said they will be in the mail tomorrow morning. I do not have a picture of the insides but he opened one up this morning and verified all the caps and resistors, and said the wiring was neat and clean. He also said if they are not as advertised to send them back to him. He seems very much on the up-and-up and I have no reason to doubt him. I am very excited about getting these amps and now have to search for a preamp. He mentioned that Jeff Korneff (SET Asylum) sells a 76 based preamp for $800 that is out of this world, but it might take months before I got it. I am also looking for a used AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH signature for a reasonable price. Smile.gif

Mike

Congratulations Mike!

I am sure you are going to enjoy your Laurels, and good luck on finding a suitable preamp. Just be patient and one day you will probably have 2 to choose from!

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connects

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

It looks like it might be awhile before I get the Laurel's. Miles just informed me that his Jeff Korneff 45's are going to be another 2-3 weeks before they are built and he can't go without music for that length of time. I told him that's cool since I don't have a preamp yet. Will keep you posted...

Mike

Congratulations on the LaurelIIx purchase, Mike! I have never heard them but know of many that love the beasts. Randy Bey surely loves the itty-bitty bits out of his!

Drop me a mail - did get your message today. Just returned from Ocracoke Island at the Outer Banks for NC so have been aways from this useless machine, thankfully. IT was a welcome break (even though I did have a laptop....).

I can understand the seller's interest in the Jeff Korneff 45 as this little amp is supposed to be VERY VERY good - many LOVE the little 45 tube but remember it makes the 2A3 look overpowered. Still, it would sing on a pair of Klipschorns. I have heard only good things about it.

korneff2.jpg

Let me hear from you.

kh

Thanks mobile. I actually spent about an hour on the phone with Jeff today. He is a very nice guy. He wasn't sure if his 76 preamp would mate up well with the Laurel's and said we should sit down and discuss it sometime. He did say that the 76 pre combined with his 45's is pure magic. He has never heard anything finer in his lifetime. He thought because the AES AE-3 DJH uses 6SN7's, it would probably sound pretty good with my amps. I'll shoot you an Email sometime later in the evening and will fill you in on the details...

Mike