OT: Birds

ace168516

So I get into work this morning, not looking forward to a boring day of fielding phone calls asking me if we are open, then having no one waste a beautiful holiday weekend day having a computer fixed, or getting to tell some person we are not running on-site work this weekend even though their cash drawer won't open or something stupid.

I open the shop up, and what am I greeted by...birds...a few of them...not sure how they got in...guessing though the roof then into a ceiling duct. These things are loud and annoying and quite frightening. I have all the doors open but I think they know that is not how they came in, so they are freaking out. I got one locked in the owner's office...that should lead to some hilarity on monday morning. They are literally flying around within 5 feet of me (now make that 2...one came in for a close pass)...our windows do not open, but let me tell you how happy they are when they get caught in an aluminum blind in the window.

Anyways, hope everyone's holiday weekend starts better than mine so far, our county's first case of swine flu on tuesday, now I can't help think of bird flu and that I will probably get both at the same time...how many minutes until Miller Time?

I worked in a store one time that was notorious for getting birds inside(no it wasn't a zoo). So I was the one that would put on a pair of work gloves and catch them and release them back out, more times than not, they would thank me by turning around and tweet in my direction before flying away. Reason for the gloves was I got pecked by a bird just before I let him go, it hurts. If you don't believe me, find a pet store, go up to a love bird or a parrot(even better) and stick your finger up to it, not fun.

You have to have all the lights out in the store, so the only light is from the open doorway. They will head out.

We had renovation work going on in our school library, and a couple of birds got in. After folks chasing them around for a half hour, we did the above, and they were out in a couple of minutes.

Bruce

frightening indeed. cool story. thanks for posting.

Dee, that's funny! Yesterday my Mother-in-law took "the guys" out to brunch at The Tides restaurant in Bodega Bay, CA (where The Birds was filmed). A poster in the lobby announced that Tippi Hedren would be making an appearance there in a few weeks.

bimg6.jpg

• Moderators

You aint seen nothing. Wait until a flying squirrel comes down your chimney in the middle of the night covered with soot. BAD DAY.

Oh wait I have one for you.

Before we moved here we lived in a house that was over 100 years old and had a huge fireplace. One summer night we were sitting on the sofa watching TV and we heard something fall down the chimney and was making a strange sound. Christy tells me go see what it is, as she stands on the sofa, I walk over and look and was very surprised. It was a bird with a mouse in it's claws AND a snake wrapped around the bird and the mouse ! I told her let me get some gloves, I ran out and got the thickest gloves i had , a pair of welding gloves. I picked it up and none of the three were willing to let go of the other, so they stayed in a ball as I carried them outside and pitched them out in the yard.

NO [bs] it's 100% true.....Christy just about pooped a cow...the next day she complained to my Dad and he made me go up on the roof and put some hardware cloth over the opening of the chimney.

I have to admit it was very strange. My wife was not amused at all !