CW1526C Woofers in La Scalas

BE36

I remember seeing a post where some showed were to machine to fit them into La Scalas but can not find with my limited knowledge of the search engine.

Has any one out there put Bob's Cast woofers in La Scalas? If so any pointers?

I've put them in. You just have to shave the sides down a little. I covered them in plastic, leaving the sides exposed, and then used a grinder. I suppose a sander or file would work too, with a little more effort.

You'll want to take a minute and carefully figure out what sides to grind down before going at it. [:)]

Greg

post-11090-13819474895008_thumb.jpg

Thanks Greg,

Do you need a extra small screw driver, mirrors to see what you are doing etc. to run the screws in?

I don't think so. Run the screws in and out by hand and without the driver in place first. The threads have a tendency to cross easily. It's important not to push the screw in, or you may push the connector on the backside right out and it's very difficult to get it back in place. With gentle pressure, just turn the screw in. I start with the ones out of sight first. Lay the LS on it's front and you won't have to hold the weight of the driver while you do this.

Also, try putting the cast driver in place to see if it does need shaving. It's possible there were variations in manufacturing over the years and you may not need to shave them.

Greg

If the speakers are LSI's, there are threaded inserts in the motor board so you should be using machine screws not the sheet metal screws that Klipsch used in the standard LS cabinet.

Greg, so Bob's woofers must be exactly same dimension as K43 baskets?

To reiterate Greg's NOTE- take careful aim when grinding- you need to 'flat spot' the woofer basket in correct orientation to the screw holes. I use a belt sander and 40 or 60 grit- it takes a bit of work to get them right sized. That being said, I know of some who have gone inside the woofer bin with a Dremel tool and ground out the angled sides of the doghouse to make the fit work. Either way is fine but I prefer not to modify the KIipsch cabinet if I can help it.

The MWM takes a different grind 'spot' than an LS or LSI, but please check first, mmmk? [;)]

post-10755-13819475190246_thumb.jpg

If the speakers are LSI's, there are threaded inserts in the motor board so you should be using machine screws not the sheet metal screws that Klipsch used in the standard LS cabinet.

Greg, so Bob's woofers must be exactly same dimension as K43 baskets?

To reiterate Greg's NOTE- take careful aim when grinding- you need to 'flat spot' the woofer basket in correct orientation to the screw holes. I use a belt sander and 40 or 60 grit- it takes a bit of work to get them right sized. That being said, I know of some who have gone inside the woofer bin with a Dremel tool and ground out the angled sides of the doghouse to make the fit work. Either way is fine but I prefer not to modify the KIipsch cabinet if I can help it.

The MWM takes a different grind 'spot' than an LS or LSI, but please check first, mmmk? Wink

Michael, I really like the new avatar pic, any chance you could email that to me?

I forgot that some LS cabs used pan-head metal screws instead of machine screws. I think most people will find the machine screws though, I don't think Klipsch used the metal screws for very long before switching over.

I didn't have to grind down my K43's to fit in the MWM cabinets, so they must be a bit smaller than the Crites if you're having to grind those down to fit in your MWM's.

Greg

I don't have any of the Crites woofies, mine are all genuine K43. I had to flat spot one of the two for a standard MWM double 15" bin. I'd bet the sizes changed on the bins as Klipsch got away from earlier K43 stamped steel frames and went to the case models. Changes were made to the KSM2 monitor that also uses the K43 woofer. Earlier monitors have a round rabbet that will not accept the cast frame units so the change was made in woofer frames during that era.

Have you run across mainly LS cabs with inserts and machine screws? I thought that was only LSI's but they could have made a change there too. Hard to keep up sometimes. The machine screws are much better, note that Klipsch normally used screw down insert plates on the pro gear, not simply T-nuts. In many cases if a T nut loosened there would be no way to fix it later due to the method of cabinet constuction.

IndyCar tip for threading in screws where they positively CANNOT be cross threaded. Start with light pressure and rotate the screw COUNTERclockwise until you feel/hear a slight 'click'. That is the threads engaging. Now turn clockwise.

I use a phillips #2 x 6" screwdriver. Craftsman preferred. [Y]

M

Sorry, Craftsman screwdrivers with their chrome plated tips are JUNK.

Get a chemically hardened tip, preferably a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard)crosspoint. The JIS driver can be used on Phillips quite easily but not reciprically. Most 'phillips' screws in consumer electronics are actually JIS (some European equipment uses Reed and Prince).

If you want the best, get Snap-On screwdrivers. They're expensive, but they work better and even feel better in your hands.

Are JIS drivers even available in North America? Reed and Prince drivers aren't an everyday item around here, either.

Sorry, Craftsman screwdrivers with their chrome plated tips are JUNK.

Get a chemically hardened tip, preferably a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard)crosspoint. The JIS driver can be used on Phillips quite easily but not reciprically. Most 'phillips' screws in consumer electronics are actually JIS (some European equipment uses Reed and Prince).

Neutrik Speakon connectors specify a tip that is not standard Phillips, wonder if it's this JIS. Have to look into it.

EDIT- Pozidrive #1, is it related to JIS?

Is there an improvement in the sound with these woofers?

Sean

It's a small improvement. The Crites woofers have just a bit more output and I think they extend a bit lower. There aren't too many things you can do for $125 NET that would provide these improvements in bass in the LS's or Khorns.

Greg