Cornscala Porject-Which Drivers should I use? Greatplainsaudio or New Klipsch K-55-v Style?

roddey

I am having built a Cornscala with 2 boxes like the industrial La Scala for a center speaker. I am buying the Fastrak Wood Horn to go into it with Bob Crites Cast iron Woofers and Bob Crites tweeters. I can buy any mid range driver I want(within reason, 1 inch please)

New Klipsch k-55-v type driver or Greatplains 902-16a?

Parts:

Fastrack horn

BobCrites Cornscala Network

Crites woofers

Crites tweeters

Greatplains Audio driver specs look like a drop in replacement more or less. Specs at 500hz to 20k.

I am using la Scala with 511b and AA networks crossed over at 4500 hz using Crites Schematics, and Bobs twetters in them for LF Mains.

I have an invoice from Bob and before I hit the buy button I would like some opinions please?

I would have thought that the K55 would be a better match for the rest of your components. The 902 is designed for a 2 way system & would probably be wasted if you only run it up to 4500 Hz. Would it sound any better than the K55 when used as a mid range driver? Not sure....I've never done that comparison.

The 902 is a very nice driver, although as sootshe pointed out, you'll be missing out on the excellent high-end of the driver if using a tweeter. In my search to upgrade the k55, I ended up with the JBL 2470 (another phenolic driver, like the k55) and have found it to be a good match, smoother than the k55, nice body in the low end. If you're strictly looking for new, I'm sure others will speak up with recommendations.

Nothing is set in stone how I do this. I can make it a two way. The La Scala matching is what I wonder about with a 2 way 902 in the center and a 3 way La Scala as mains. I can start changing the La Scalas to match, but that will be another day and dollar. Can I handle the difference for a while untill I can? I dont know. If you need to move millions of tons of rock or a mountain, then I got you covered. Thanks all.

The 902 is a very nice driver, although as sootshe pointed out, you'll
be missing out on the excellent high-end of the driver if using a
tweeter. In my search to upgrade the k55, I ended up with the JBL 2470
(another phenolic driver, like the k55) and have found it to be a good
match, smoother than the k55, nice body in the low end. If you're
strictly looking for new, I'm sure others will speak up with
recommendations.

Ah yes I aspire to JBL. After a full H/T music system from scratch that will have to waite till another day.

You can find 2470's for much less than new 902's from GPA. The problem is, they're scarce and at times, overpriced. Mine were in OK shape (needed a bit of attention, cleaned gaps, replaced cap foam) with good diaphragms. They set me back $200 for the pair, a fair price I thought.

I aslo built a pair of Cornscalas. I used Crites case 15' WOOFER, Klappenberger wood horn with Great Plains 902-16 driver and the Beyma tweeter, Dean built the crossovers.

How do they sound________________it dont' get any better, wwonderful.

CB

It seems you are on the right path, I have Crites woofers and Fastrac horns in my Cornscala's, and I love them.

I currently use the K-55 drivers, although I have a pair of JBL 2426's for another project. Never heard the Altec 902, or the Great Plains.

What crossovers are you using?

For now, Crites Cornwall Crossovers. To fit under the screen I will be making 2
(allmost) cubes. Split I can get them under my screen with a 1 inch
tilt but stacked there 40 inches. About my ear height. . They will be
about H20 xW26 x D24 each.. If this works
well I would like to make 2 more of these(Maybe) as LR mains and move
my La Scala to the back.
If these horns are an improvement over the 511b I will put a pair in
the La Scala right away. I would also like to get the La Scala back to
stock looking instead of big cabs on top of them.The parts should be here by next Friday from Bob. Looks about 3 weeks
away before its all done.

Today is the first day that I heard the La Scala's with a tube amp,tube pre-amp combo. The mids are a lot stronger. I was putiing Crites tweeters all the way in the back of the La Scala's now there in front again. Its not even broke in yet and it sounds a lot better with 511b's. Next I will try the La Scala wood horn in one of the la Scala's and AB them before I put the horn in the Cornscala Center speaker I am building. If after the wood horn the mids still sound to hot, does anyone know which tap to change on the autotransformer with Bob Crites 4500 hertz modded crossover to tame down the mids?

• 2 weeks later...