Suggestions: Looking for some ideas for "big band" dvd's

Coytee

There are lots of choices for music: Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, to name just a few.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_band_music

And here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_big_bands

Then, of course, there's Lyle Lovett and his Large Band. He calls them that so you'll know they don't play big band music, although they have enough members to be a big band.

That's who's who. Do your know any of your dad-in-law's favourites?

This site has lots of big band DVDs: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/movie/category2/3380/a/Big+Band.htm

Let me suggest as a start, "In the Digital Mood" with the Glenn Miller band (as it existed in those modern times). You can read review on Amazon.

Similarly, "What's New" with LInda Rondstat and Nelson Riddle. Again Amazon, has info, as always.

These get excellent reviews, overall. So no one will say they are bad choices.

I have both and I have the same problem with both. While I'm not eductated in music, it seems to me the are techically perfect in performance and recording. But they lack "soul." One reviewer of ItDM said about the same.

In the case of Linda, she is singing "torch songs" but her excellent voice does not contain any intonation of the emotionality which the lyrics imply. Granted, maybe we don't need Janis Joplin or Joni Mitchell levels of melancholy and manic depression. A little tinge would have helped though.

= = =

For what it is worth. There are some videos of Glenn Miller and his band and many other swing bands in their day -- out there. People who thrive on old recordings often comment that Klipsch speakers really bring out the nuances of such music/performances even though the microphones and recordings are, by present standards, less than perfect.

I'm sure if you read around, you'll find many modern big bands with excellent performances.

Wm McD

Point of clarification...

I was over at father in laws yesterday, outside. He came out and told me he was listening to some goooooooooooooood music...

Later I went in and what it was...was... he had the public tv station on and they were doing a drive. For a donation of $50 I guess you get to talk to one of their operators. For a donation of more, you got this CD set and I think it was called Super Big Bands or something... I think it was minimum $120 (might have been $200 for all I remember)

Anyways, if you go back to the music of WWII era, they were showing clips of G.I.'s dancing with the ladies and the big band music in the background. This era would be the specific items sought.

I don't know that those might be around on any DVD's (first choice) but CD's would also be better than nothing. My sister in law was also mumbling that they were so expensive and I muttered a comment to her as I walked by "Amazon or Ebay" and she cracked a huge smile as she then realized there are other ways to get this era of music than this specific offer.

Seeing as he's in his low/mid 80's (if memory serves me) I thought we might get him some for his birthday, then I realized it's in September and there is no sense in waiting!!

Part of the problem with this is that a really hot selling new production jazz album might only sell 30K to 50K units.The jazz

market is different, and big-band is but a small sub-segment of that market. Session studio time, arrangements and charts for each

instrument, and players for a big band project are more expensive than other kinds of recordings. Most Producers and band leaders

feel happy just to get an audio record cut and do not seek to do video work, because that builds more costs into a project that if it

breaks even in 5 years, it's a miracle. Most of them are done just to keep the genre alive, strictly a labor of love rather than a money-maker.

Hence the dearth of big-band jazz videos. As far as big band jazz audio, there are some interesting new or relatively unknown offerings out

there that definitely bear a listen. Supporting these people will help keep Jazz alive, and especially big-band, and that's a good thing.

The Nashville Jazz orchestra has a beautiful live album cut at BB King's in Nashville under the direction of Jim Williamson

with a guest vocalist named Annie Sellick who is the best kept secret in the whole world of jazz vocals. Her talent dwarfs any

I have ever heard, alive or dead and the only way to describe her is delightful. http://www.nashvillejazzorchestra.org/

My Friend Ray Reach from right here in Birmingham produced and recorded an innovative big band album with Lou Marini Jr of

"Blues Brothers" fame. This page from the "All About Jazz" website talks of the Magic City Jazz Orchestra, and has more

information about this record than can be found anywhere else: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=14385

I am affiliated with these people as a cheerleader and friend, but not $$$$.

Don't overlook the modern big bands; especially if you want a good recording for those Heritage to work with.

My suggestion is Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. They play old standards and original stuff and they really, really cook. I saw them live a few weeks ago--incredibly good music and a great visual treat. They have some clips on their site you can check out. www.bbvd.com

Point of clarification..if you go back to the music of WWII era, they were showing clips of G.I.'s dancing with the ladies and the big band music in the background. This era would be the specific items sought.

Richard,

I also acquired a full set of the Ken Burns DVD series called "Jazz" (Wynton Marsalis is a de facto host) that will potentially thrill your F-I-L with stuff that is even older than '30s-'40s big band. I know that I got an education. My old man is one of those "big band only" guys that got stuck in the '40s and early '50s (i.e., very little in the way of progressive bop in small ensembles except perhaps the MJQ). After he watched what he wanted, he handed them back to me and said, "...I guess that there really IS a difference between swing and jazz...".

No arguments since then about the "definition of jazz". (This is just great...I wished that Burns had done the series in the early '70s instead of the '90s, then I would've gotten a little more respect for my Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, and Chicago/BS&T LPs...)

Chris

he had the public tv station on and they were doing a drive.

You might be about to look it up and find it on the net. Some of those shows do charge a lot for the DVD when you can purchase the same thing at a store or on line. Just my .02...

James

I don't have any dvd suggestions,

But if you like modern stuff Gordin Goodwin and the Big Phat Band is outstanding.

If your tastes are more in the 50s I would suggest Quincy Jones "The Qunitesence" or Big band

Bossa Nova. My parents love Stan Kenton "The Sophisticate Approach". I think the Gerry Mulligan

Concert Jazz Band is first rate. You can get "Live at the Village Vangard" on CD.

For more ideas pick up a copy of DownBeat magazine and I am sure you will see some good options.

I have been a sax player for 35 years and I love big bands.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the others that said don't forget about "modern" or I guess in this case "semi-modern" big band stuff My neighbors all know my two CDs by Doc Severinson (sp?) and the Ex-Toight Show (Johnny Carson era) Band. They should have been kept together by government money as a national treasure! Doc can be a bit much wailing WAY up there, but they sound amazing through my old Quartets (I hope its not against the law here to mention them, all I ever see here is Forte-Chorus, like the little brother is the red haired stepchild), each supported by an SW10 sub. At 95db its like they're in the room! Your dad may have grown up with that original era but I'll bet he groaned each time they went to commercial as Doc and Tommie Newsom and the boys were cranking.