New TV...720P...1080P...Plasma...LCD???

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunburn...I did and I thank you for your response...here's the problem...of the sets I had been looking at...Panasonic Plasma 50X1...it is cheapest at Sears...$899...cheapest online is $998...the Samsung was $1398 at Fry's...cheapest online price is $1799 in my searches and was $1599 at Best Buy...so even with tax...it was cheaper to buy locally than online...several of the online places also have stores in Illinois so the tax savings is trumped there too...I did check Cleveland Plasma (AVS Forum?) and they were higher than local too...

I am listening...really I am...[;)]

Bill

High Definition TV Thoughts

• Bigger is better
  • The distance to size ratio is wrong: I sit middle or closer to the screen than the back of theater
  • Larger than 36 inches needs the higher resolution
  • 32” is not big enough if you are 9’ away
  • Vizio and Olevia are inexpensive and sharp
  • With Best Buy going out of business, Target had good prices at Xmas
  • But a lot of those models are no longer in stock
  • Refresh rate is important not only for sports but also for action movies
  • Sound is horrible
  • All electronics should be plugged into an EFI/FRI surge protector
  • Consumer Reports does not recommend warranties, except on electronics, because the crap they make these days doesn’t last
  • They estimate most electronics last only five years!
  • A weak USD makes imports more expensive
  • A HDTV antenna picks up as many channels as before HDTV
  • Blockbuster Online gives unlimited movie exchanges at their stores
  • Most in-store demos run 720dpi, not the higher 1080, unless they are showing off Blu-ray on certain large models
  • Loved my 36” Sony Trinitron standard TV – could not sell it; gave it away
  • Always thought Sony had the best contrast and most features…for a price
  • The Shoppers clubs (BJs, Costco) let you in to look at their TVs, they often have good prices (I think they even let you make one time large purchases without a membership, or give you one for free if you spend that kind of money)
  • I don’t trust the online guys because if I have to ship it back, then we have to argue about the shipping costs
  • Besides I want to see the picture before I buy

Panasonic Plasma 50X1...it is cheapest at Sears...$899...cheapest online is $998...

Well here's a little bit better online price at $958. for the Panny http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=PSTCP50X1~item.htm . Not sure as to what kind of sales tax you pay in Chicago or if your Sears charges for delivery . Could be a mute point as far as price goes unless it's a floor model .

'preciate you guys looking out for me...I will stop at Sears andto view the TVs there and possibly wait for the Sunday ads to see if Fry's returns their price on that Samsung...or if anything better comes up...unless I am swayed by the Panny Plasmas at Sears...I have an SUV and can take my purchase home so in that regard, I am good and Sears sometimes gives you 10% or free financing if the Sears card is used...I am in Cook County (Crook) where the sales tax is highest in the land...

Thanks again everyone!...feel free to continue sharing as I believe a few others are lurking here with similar questions to mine...

Bill

I went with the Panasonic Plasma
50X1...Sears had the best price I could find anywhere and the sales
woman I have dealt with for years offered me an additional 10% to use
the Sears card...hard to pass up under $900 for a 50" TV even if it is only 720p...fit in the truck so I didn't have to pay for shipping...

Thanks for all the help everyone...

Bill