New TV...720P...1080P...Plasma...LCD???

Thinking of replacing a TV...some deals to be had out there...but there are a flurry of confusing "facts"...so I thought I'd ask here for more...[;)]

46-50" set..."you can't see a difference between 720P and 1080P sets 'cuz most broadcast is 720P"

I plan to get Blu-Ray (possibly Oppo unit) and wish to use the set mostly for movies and TV...no games...

I have seen the Panasonic plasmas and I like the picture...in the store but hear a lot of negatives about Plasma...still...the prices right now are VERY competitive...(around $1000 for a 720P)

and LCD I have seen that I really like is the Samsung 46" A 850 (last years model I believe) and have seen them for about $1398 which is killer...but still a lot of loot (for me)...

I have read all the threads I can find on here but as you know with electronics these things change almost daily and much of the model info is old but I bet much of the thoughts are sound...however I also believe the gap may be narrowing between LCD and Plasma...

what say you???

Bill

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bill, last year I got my first flat screen. It is a 42" due to the space I have for it (used to have 35" tube in there). I got a plasma because I like the deeper colors and blacker blacks. I could not get over the stutter or jitters that the LCD's have. I got 720 Samsung for about $1k and am very happy with it.

46-50" set..."you can't see a difference between 720P and 1080P sets 'cuz most broadcast is 720P"

Well anything over 42" should be 1080, the difference can be seen.

'cuz most broadcast is 720P

You are gonna watch Blu-Ray.

OK, when you are selling TV's you know that your set will sit on a shelf with 20 other sets, so the manufacturers of most sets, blow out the settings so their TV will "STAND OUT" the image you see in a store does not mean much. They have to be adjusted.

I like the panasonics plasma's alot, I do however stay away from the "consumer" sets, who needs speakers in a TV anyway.

LCD quality has come a long way, now we just wait on price.

good points all and thanks...this IS the information I need to know...I was leaning towards the 1080p sets and wanted to make sure I wasn't buying into the hype...I have in another room a Sony rear projection LCD that is 720p and like the picture but there is obviously room for improvement (washout in certain lighting and could use deeper blacks...) Keep it coming if you're so inclined...I appreciate it...

Bill

I thought most HD broadcoasts are in 1080i or less (480) and only a couple like ESPN in 720P for better motion resolution. Either way if you get a 720P TV you have all of those resolutions covered. However, you mentined Blue Ray..........you will need 1080P to take full advantage of its capabilities.

I ended up with a Samsung 46" 1080P LCD 120Hz (A650 I believe) and paid around $1500 right around Xmas 2008. It was the biggest that would fit into the space we had, and I have been very satisifed with the TV. Incredible HD and non HD performance. The 120Hz update rate is no big deal. Not really sure how valuable that feature is. I have it connected to Dish network.

I thought most HD broadcoasts are in 1080i or less (480) and only a couple like ESPN in 720P for better motion resolution. Either way if you get a 720P TV you have all of those resolutions covered. However, you mentined Blue Ray..........you will need 1080P to take full advantage of its capabilities.

Here's the breakdown as of Jan. this year .

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/network_hd_720p_vs_1080i/

By all means go with a 1080p set . LCD or Plasma is up to you . LCD's are brighter so if your room is bright that would be the way to go . Plasma's have better color saturation , blacks and picture quality ; to my eyes , but aren't as bright .

An important thing to consider is that LCD's are really taking over the market so Plasma is a better deal money wise . Go look and compare , then get that sucker off of the internet and save a bundle of cash . On my Pioneer I saved over $1.5k over Best Buys sale price . Internet = no tax and unless you upgrade , free shipping .

I see that a few more stations have gone to 720P. What I found using my Dish network receivers is that the picture looks slightly better to me on 1080i as opposed to 720P. This is a Dish receiver setting you can control. What have you guys found to look best?

I have two 1080P TVs. One Samsung and one Sony Bravia. They both appear to perform the same with regard to setting the DIsh receiver to either 1080i or 720P. The 1080i seems to look a hair better.

• Moderators

My 42" plasma died last fall after 4 years use. We bought a 46" Samsung 1080 LCD to replace it. I don't think the picture is quite as good as the plasma, but WOW, is it leaps and bounds lighter and easier to work with (mounted on the wall). That plasma was a hoss that I dreaded ever moving.

Also, our livingroom receiver is split for inside speakers and outdoor speakers, so when someone wants to use the outdoor ones while someone else watches TV, we are forced to use to the crappy default speakers installed inside the TV. The plasma speakers were actually not too bad for TV speakers (translation: tolerable), but I CANNOT for one second listen to the LCD TVs speakers. They are beyond awful. It sounds like someone is trying to talk from behind a lead wall.

Not that any of you guys would ever listen to TV speakers, but there you go anyway [:)]

It sounds like we have the same TV. My Samsung is a 46" and I think it is an A650 model. The speakers are in the back and reflect off the wall behind the TV. It sounds horrible in our room. Our TV is in a corner so there is nothing firm directly behind it. The room is vaulted and the clarity is terrible unless you go upstairs on the landing or upstair hallway which is all open to below. Then for some reason it sounds great.

...so if I'd like to take advantage of BluRay am I wasting my time getting a 720p native set that can get 1080i???...the reason I ask is there are some killer prices on the Panasonic 50" Plasma that is 720p...about $400 plus less than a 1080p but if I won't be able to get the benefits of BluRay than I probably need to scratch the 720p sets off the list...
Bill

You will buy the 720P. Then you will be pissed off and you will have to buy the 1080P. By that time in a few months 2160P will be introduced. And 3D will come in big time. Then you will have a worthless 720P on your hands that no-one wants. Donate it to charity and write it off on your income tax.

JJK

You will buy the 720P. Then you will be pissed off and you will have to buy the 1080P. By that time in a few months 2160P will be introduced. And 3D will come in big time. Then you will have a worthless 720P on your hands that no-one wants. Donate it to charity and write it off on your income tax.

JJK

Ahhhh...the voice of reason!

Bill

I don't think my Plasma has speaker, I sure would never use them, not with my system anyway.

To put my 720 purchase into perspective, I don't have cable, satellite, etc. Too much $$ for too much junk. I watch network and FOX off the air and non-blu-ray movies (again the $$ pinch). And it's only 42".

One thing I found a year ago was that LCD and Plasmas came in different sizes depending on the manufacturer. I don't think I saw any 42" LCD so that was also a deciding factor.

Interersting factoid. I checked the usable screen area with my old 4:3 Sony 35" tube tv against an only slightly wider 42" 16:9 plasma. 1.7 TIMES the usable screen area when viewing widescreen movies. On the 35" the letterboxed image was only about 12" high! LOL