WORST subwoofer out there:

kenratboy

Asking what the best subwoofer or speakers are is like asking which religion is the correct one, so I will not ask. I am asking, however, what are the worst subwoofers you have heard, reguardless of size, price, or brand.

The worst I have heard is, one, the Bose subwoofer, and two, a 6.5" sony sub with a "50 watt" amp that was probably only able to put out 5 watts. Both sounded "distorted and artificial" and they could not SHAKE or move enough air to have any impact. I heard both of them at someones house in small rooms, poor people, two systems and they were both crap from Best Buy and cost as much as a Klipsch Reference system.

Anyway, anyone heard a piece of equiptment that was just horrible?

BOSESmash.gif

SONY SPEAKERSSmash.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He he he yes I heard many rotten speakers and gear,here are the Lemon of the Month winners...

1.B0$e AcousticMe$$ system(tiny "full range" cubes and a so called boomy band pass "sub")The reference standard in legal ripoff!Its better sales thru brainwash!

2.Cambridge theater in DA box speaker systems,the resonating,colored sats mated to band pass circus style woofer with near zero linear...all in a cabinet the size of a toaster!

3.White Van Co. speakers with Digital Ready logo!Carpet covered cardboard cereal box with hair thin shorted wires and dollar store dump drivers.They make subs too!BURP

4.Nuance speakers,buyer beware these are White Van deluxe speakers.And the drivers are also dollar store type in a la Mirage boxes.Be on your guard,JUST SAY NO

5.Sony "subwoofers",these band pass and bass reflex(ported)pieces of you know what make bass sound like boomy drum in a boomy room thru boomy ears!Pathetic describes them best,be on your guard for great reviews on AudioReview as many owners dont have a clue what SVS,Sunfire,JBL,Revel,Velodyne and Aerial are and how a real sub should sound(only for a solid foundation,not boomy BS).

Now the very finest subs for the money...a bit of money

1. Aerial Acoustics SW12,very best subwoofer with real 16Hz power,speed and lack of any boomynes or audible coloration.A perfect match for High-End speakers.Plus gorgeous bird'syemaple looks very classy.Performance and quality at the top of the pack.

2.SVS Ultra,huge output and very solid to 16Hz.Good on music and awesome HT sub.Best deal around at under 3 grand amp included its a bargain.

3.Revel B15,BIG output and solid down to 20Hz.Not the organ sub the Ultra and SW12 are but packs a punch.From 25Hz and up it has few peers and many cost way more.As potent as a music sub as its a HT sub.Great buy

4.Velodyne HGS-18,a classic and has both big output plus goes deep.Very clean and great music and move sub.Very steep use of EQ limits the output in the lower range,limiter prevents any audible distortion.

Good buy

5.Sunfire Signature,BIG output down to 20Hz,huge around 25Hz.This mini packs a punch and outperforms most larger subs(not the above,DUH).Superb HT sub and good music sub(remember no real output above 80Hz,sounds out of its element above 60Hz).Good buy

These make the Lemons of the Month subs sound like defective AM pocket radios.The worst is the pooper scoopers also get great reviews from "experts"!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-23-2002 at 11:20 PM

Mike,

What Dont agree with my list?

Did you hear all five subs(err not the Lemon of the Month category).I sure did and I know these well.

Just interesting to see how you would rank them.The HGS-18 is quite a piece,the Aerial,Revel and SVS top it IMO.You could argue and I would consider the HGS-18 as third,above the Revel(I like the Relvel sub,the EQ on this gem does wonders you know).The first and second are not open for debate,anyone who heard a well set up Aerial is converted.Its that damn good.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I live about 17 miles southwest of Spokane, where Eastern Washington State University is.

Pretty Dead, LOL! (Understatement.)

You go north about eightie miles you'll find god's real country though.

It may be isolated, but it doesn't bug me.

Plenty Camping, fishing and whatever close by, within minutes I must add.

I have a freind who lives in Reno, who used to live here.

Found better work for his needs down there.

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

I just hate those subwoofers, like Bose, Sony, and etc. that use a 5.25" or 6.5" woofer. I heard a 15", $200 AudioSource subwoofer, and JUST because of its size, it would be a great sub for movies. It almost sounded as good as and Atlantic Technology!

$175 SHIPPED!

I'm lovin it.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

quote:

$175 SHIPPED!

I'm loving it!

JBL Pro, dual 15" woofers, 130dB at 25Hz. 2400 watt power handling.

$220.21 shipped, I'm loving it!

Or are you talking about the AudioSource, if so, right on! Tell us about it. The quote could mean the Sony/Bose or 15" AudioSource.

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 02-25-2002 at 12:48 AM

I got the SW15 for $175 from Amazon.com last 2 xmas ago. I've never heard anything near it for that price. It was a little boomy so I added polyfill and needed to be broken in for a couple weeks. $220 for that JBL huh? Wish I had some money right now Smile.gif

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!

You haven't heard of my JBL sub.

It is a professional movie theater bass unit. It has 2, 15" woofers, JBL's best, they cost $350 each. The cabinet weights over 150 pounds and is 48" X 25" X 18". It usually sells for over $1000. I got it cheap because the cinema market is DEAD and JBL is closing them out at over 80% off. It is the real deal, has the 5-year warranty, and is not stolen, its from JBL in Northridge.

Anyway, it is very sensitive (about 100db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter) and can handle 2400 watts. It can play ANY bass signal loud and very clean (maybe TOO clean for movies, it doesn't rumble, it stays faithful to the origional sound)

I love it. JBL is selling a slightly less powerful version on their Tent Sale for $4 less than mine. I hope some Klipsch fans get some before JBL freaks (sort of like me) get them all.

I saw your sub at Costco and almost bought it, then I remembered I was moving to London in two weeks and it was a little large to take to the Airport with me! All my stuff was already on a ship to England. Isn't the SW15 a copy of the Atlantic Technology 15" subs, if it is, GOOD, that means you have somthing that was engineered with a lot of money and thought!

Enjoy the sub, big woofers are KING!!!

Check this out, the all-mighty Tent Sale:

http://www.jblpro.com/Tent_Sale/sale_items.htm

Although JBL is not going to purposly rip you off, yoy NEED TO KNOW what you are ordering. The Best thing on there is the 4638 (its there, towards the bottom) dual 15" subwoofer, for $216!!! The price includes shipping! I would sure as hell get it, but I already have one thats a little better, but I recommend people buy these things, there GREAT! I have neumerous posts in the SUBWOOFER section of this forum reguarding this subwoofer, so look there.

There is no catch, or last minuite fees, just a big-*** subwoofer delivered to your front door in a week.