new to forum amd home theater

camaromoe

Hello there as ya'll can see I am new to the forum and to the world of home theater. I will apologize in advance as my knowledge on these items are being newly developed. I do have a couple of questions though to really get me going. To give a little background I just built a home with a media room and have purchased the rc62 rs52's and rw12d. I also purchased the onkyo txsr607.

Mt first question is I am still trying to figure out what front speakers to go with the rf62's or rf82's. I love the more midrange of the 82's but am concerned first of all if they will sound good with the rest of the setup that I have. Next I would like to know if the receiver will put out enough power for the 82's. The receiver is 90w at 8ohms and is 6ohms stable at 110w.

The second question is the reciver is a 7.2 which I am only planning on using 5 channels and the reciver is capable of bi-amping on the front channels. Would this be the thing to do for extra and cleaner power and sound for the fronts or should I invest in a seperate amp.

Next I have a friend that has given me first dibs on his rt10d due to him upgrading to the rt12d. My receiver is a 7.2 so it should handle this but I was curious as to if this would be to much bass or would it help to fill the room better having both subs hooked up.

Lastly I have a SACD DVD-A dvd player that I enjoy listning to when not watching dvd's. movies 70% music 30% do any of ya'll know where to find a good selection of either format discs. Sorry for all the questions but I would like to get a good solid system started and build gradually to my dream media room. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Hi Moe with the Camaro,

Welcome to the family of wacko's who are really wacky for horns and SPL. This would also include this wakco, Professor T.

The R-82's would be your best bet for clarity of sound. It will work well with you current speaker arrangement. We have had pretty good luck for the value buyers with Onkyo so you should be okay here also.

I don't recommend that you bi-wire or bi-amp the fronts because the extra two channels are going to be busy powering the additional rear two speakers you will be buying after you get a Blue-Ray player which gives you 7.1.

You can never have too many woofers. You are much better off having at least two subs to improve on standing waves in the room. Of course Professor Thump would never say "you have too many woofers" jeese...

Have fun with your new toys.

Mt first question is I am still trying to figure out what front speakers to go with the rf62's or rf82's. I love the more midrange of the 82's but am concerned first of all if they will sound good with the rest of the setup that I have. Next I would like to know if the receiver will put out enough power for the 82's. The receiver is 90w at 8ohms and is 6ohms stable at 110w.

Although it may seem odd, generally speaking, the bigger the speaker, the less power it takes to drive it. Bigger, more expensive speakers often have heavier-duty components and a higher power rating, but that doesn't mean they need a bigger amp.

The refrigerator-sized Jubilee speakers from the Pro Cinema line that a number of forum members own and love use a fraction of the power of the speakers you're thinking of, and that's just one example.

In the Reference line, the RF-62s have a sensitivity rating of 97dB, while the RF-82s have a rating of 98dB. Those numbers indicate how loud the speaker will play when driven with a 2.83 volt signal, roughly equal to 1 watt, measured at a distance of 1 metre. Both are in the very high range for home speakers, so neither speaker will need much power to drive it, although the 82s will need a little bit less than the 62s.

i heard the 62's in the store, and i didnt like them much. i prefer the 82's that i bought and will be eventually upgrading to 83's. the 82's sounded more fuller to me, the audio had more body. if you get the 82's, your setup will be nearly identical to mine [:D]

And what do you mean by either format discs?

Thanks for all of the speedy replies and advise on the speakers. I just need to quit being cheap and get the 82's. I will be happier with the sound and upgrade in the end i"m sure. It's nice to know there is so many people out there with advise and williung to share it. Where I am in Texas there isn't many people that seem to care about a good sound. Please keep the advise coming as there is only 1 dealer within 150miles of where I live and I'm sure he is tired of me already. Very insightful proffesor about Moe with the camaro. Is it that obvious? Ok new question do you think that I should really use all 7 channels for the other set of rears in a room roughly 18'x22'. Also can I not bi-wire the speakers with kimber kable to try and clean up the recording as much as possible? thanks again for all of the knowledge thus far.

Ok new question do you think that I should really use all 7 channels for the other set of rears in a room roughly 18'x22'.

How close to the back wall are you sitting? If you're within 4 feet or so, there's no point (or room, really) in having rear surround speakers, so 5.1 would be fine. If you're further from the wall (closer to the centre of the room), it would make sense to have rear surround speakers for a 7.1 system. That's just my opinion. If you already have the speakers, go ahead and use them.

I'm not sure how you figure bi-wiring would "clean up" a recording. Kimber Kable is good-quality stuff, but it's not magic.

Thanks for all of the speedy replies and advise on the speakers. I just need to quit being cheap and get the 82's. I will be happier with the sound and upgrade in the end i"m sure. It's nice to know there is so many people out there with advise and williung to share it. Where I am in Texas there isn't many people that seem to care about a good sound. Please keep the advise coming as there is only 1 dealer within 150miles of where I live and I'm sure he is tired of me already. Very insightful proffesor about Moe with the camaro. Is it that obvious? Ok new question do you think that I should really use all 7 channels for the other set of rears in a room roughly 18'x22'. Also can I not bi-wire the speakers with kimber kable to try and clean up the recording as much as possible? thanks again for all of the knowledge thus far.

im in texas, i care about sound [:D]

CECAA850 is in texas too...

Once you have heard 7.1 you will not want to go back. That is my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't like 2 channel audio also but DTS True HD is better than I would have expected.

I am also not a big fan of expensive cables or bi-wiring. I do think bi-amp with an active crossover can be an improvement though. Put your money in better speakers first. You will hear the difference, even with 16 AWG zipcord wire.

Once you have heard 7.1 you will not want to go back. That is my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't like 2 channel audio also but DTS True HD is better than I would have expected.

I am also not a big fan of expensive cables or bi-wiring. I do think bi-amp with an active crossover can be an improvement though. Put your money in better speakers first. You will hear the difference, even with 16 AWG zipcord wire.

i especially like 7.1 on multichannel audio. i love to hear the music envelope all around me

Another welcome to the forum.

I am also not a fan of HIGH BUCK wire, put the money in the best speakers you can (heritage anyone???????) and it will be better spent than on magic wire. I am not a fan of biwire without active crossovers BEFORE the amps, though even then, I am not so much of a fan.

After the speakers, you will upgrade the amps and preamps until you are happy, for a little while then the upgrade bug hits and there are no more limits :P