Academy

Farmerkid

As part of upgrading my HT/Audio system, I was looking for a new center and the Academy came highly recommended in this forum. However, the availabilty and price were a problem. The last Academy I tracked on eBay went for $350 before shipping. I purchased a new KLF-C7 from onecall.com for $353.60 shipped Fed Ex. It sounds awesome, and from a subjective standpoint, I can't beleive that the Academy is that much better and worth the premium some people are paying. Just my newbie opinion.

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

As a "new" Academy owner, I'll throw my 0.02 in. Yes, eBay seems to inflate the prices of the Academy. Recently however, prices have been more reasonable. I picked mine up this weekend after discussions with the buyer and we avoided eBay. Cost: $325 which was good, as the speaker was in very good condition.

That said, I have done some preliminary comparisons between the Academy and the KV-4 it is replacing. I can certainly tell a difference between the two from a timbre perspective. Much more seamless across the front with the Academy and my Forte IIs than with the KV-4. Nothing against the KV-4, it's a great speaker, but the Academy is quite impressive, an upgrade I am happy to have made. The KV-4 was to be matched with the Epic series, the KV-3 with the KG series, and Academy to Cornwall/Chorus/Forte/Quartet. I would certainly agree with that assessment.

Farmer-

Since you have the Forte's, I'd certainly keep your eyes open for one, but certainly not pay more that $350-400 unless it is in MINT condition. I haven't heard the C7, but I'll stick with the Academy. If you can find one at a good price, jump on it!