Need help with a new config...

MistaChy

The Marantz is okay, but I crave more power, so I'm wanting to go the seperates route which was at first recommended my many of you fine gentlemen. You live and you learn right, sometimes the hard way. [:)]

So far I've heard, with a XPA-5 combined with a XPA-2, you get 7 channel setup... If thats true, then all I need to decide on is a Pre-Amp hopefully... but I dont know if I'll need an additional XPA-2 to power the subs. I'm not sure how that works for the .1 and .2... I need lots of channels (more than 7) and have to ability to run 2 subs because eveunually I will be wanting a 7.2 setup.

I'm looking for a pre amp that can provide many bells and whistles, sirius being one of them, also a really good supply of surround settings. Wifi access to communicate with windows vista is a plus.

I will be pushing the RF-83's and the RC-64... and will eventually upgrad my side surrounds and surrounds backs as well to the RS-62 and RB-61... I have officially contracted the upgrade bug...

computer-bug.jpg

Might I suggest a Sunfire TGP-5. There are several on Agon NIB for a VERY reasonable cost. These things are the best. I have a TGP II and would love to have the 5.

I've seen them prices as low as $1300.00. Normally their nearly 4K. Not sure if serious is an option, but doesn't serious make a docking station for home stereo's. I think that'd be a better option. I have XM on my GMC truck. It's great, but I don't drive the truck very often. I wish I had a portable unit that I could pop in and out of the truck and pop into a home dock, saving on multiple units. Only other option is, have a small laptop connected to the internet, and connected to the pre-amp, then you'd have Serious/Xm over the net while you have a unit in your car?

Also, if you can swing it, get a Sunfire amp. They are Awsome!!!

I have officially contracted the upgrade bug...

MistaChy,

Your system profile says RF-83's(coming soon). Have you actually received your RF-83's and hooked them up to your Marantz yet? If not, wait. The "synergy" between the Marantz and the 83's may be great. It is your hard earned $$$ to spend but I would wait and listen first. If then you feel it is lacking, add a 3, 5, or 7 channel amp for some boost. I believe the 8002 would make a great preamp for maybe another Marantz amp or any other quality amp.

Bill

PLEASE re-read my post in this thread http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/121218.aspx and take it seriously to heart!

"I don't want to sound rude and I know your money is your money but by
your recent threads it seems that you don't really care how much money
you're throwing at your system. If you take your time and do some
research you'll be able to invest your money into things that will
really improve the quality of your system and not have to resort on
throwing something together and then spending more money on upgrades
immediately after."

I have officially contracted the upgrade bug...

MistaChy,

Your system profile says RF-83's(coming soon). Have you actually received your RF-83's and hooked them up to your Marantz yet? If not, wait. The "synergy" between the Marantz and the 83's may be great. It is your hard earned $$$ to spend but I would wait and listen first. If then you feel it is lacking, add a 3, 5, or 7 channel amp for some boost. I believe the 8002 would make a great preamp for maybe another Marantz amp or any other quality amp.

Bill

thats probably a good idea, but what you are suggesting is that i run the front speakers off of an external amp?

PLEASE re-read my post in this thread http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/121218.aspx and take it seriously to heart!

"I don't want to sound rude and I know your money is your money but by your recent threads it seems that you don't really care how much money you're throwing at your system. If you take your time and do some research you'll be able to invest your money into things that will really improve the quality of your system and not have to resort on throwing something together and then spending more money on upgrades immediately after."

yea i re-read it.. what did you need me to focus on, cause i still think i need more power to make the RF-83's really punch and vibrate my T-shirt when they come in? I'll give them a listen, but i need a contingency plan.

I don't want to be rude either but, I feel like all are help is going in one ear and out the other.

no its not, im just very confused and desperite to fulfill this deep desire to rock my box and make my t-shirt vibrate... i never heard of marantz b4 joining the klipsch forum, apparently im listening :-\

all my life ive been a receiver man, i wanted to give it one last shot before i tossed the idea out the window and migrate to seperates like what was suggested so many times. i may not have did exactly as suggested, but those suggestions were definately heard and are now being excersized... your help is appreciated, i dont know why you would think otherwise

thats probably a good idea, but what you are suggesting is that i run the front speakers off of an external amp?

I said if once you get the Marantz hooked up to your RF-83's, take an objective listen and then decide if it is lacking. When I felt like my Onkyo really did not have enough oomp to run my whole setup, I bought a used B&K 200w 3-channel amp and the difference was astonishing. The Onkyo had enough juice for most 2 channel applications with my RF-63's, but it lacked noticeably with all channels running. My Onkyo works great as a preamp and running my surrounds. I firmly believe your Marantz with it's better power supply and preamp section would run circles around my Onkyo.

Bill

I said if once you get the Marantz hooked up to your RF-83's, take an objective listen and then decide if it is lacking. When I felt like my Onkyo really did not have enough oomp to run my whole setup, I bought a used B&K 200w 3-channel amp and the difference was astonishing. The Onkyo had enough juice for most 2 channel applications with my RF-63's, but it lacked noticeably with all channels running. My Onkyo works great as a preamp and running my surrounds. I firmly believe your Marantz with it's better power supply and preamp section would run circles around my Onkyo.

Bill

b4 i buy a pre amp... or the emotiva, ill do what your asking, thats a good idea. but if my t-shirt doesnt vibrate from the punch, the emotiva is definately an option to push more juice into them to make em kick harder. its 250 watts per channel. what are you using to run your center channel if you have one? is that where that 3rd channel is going? and what is running your sub?

so if i dont feel the power I desire from the Marantz with the RF-83's and the RC-64 running off of the built in amp, I see one of my options as upgrading to to the XPA-3 or 5 and having that push my 83's and center channel...

what im desiring is thump in my chest, if the marantz can do that combined with the rw12d, i might stick with what i have... otherwise ill have to keep seeking until i find a resolution.

I was really thinking that here in 2009 that there would be a really quite like tight preamp (really hi-tec and savy with all the bells and wistles offered) on the market in case I ever did want more out of a pre-amp than the Marantz 8002 could offer. Maybe there are, i just dont know of any.

Theres what thePlummer suggested, the sunfire and theres this:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3922.asp

and this:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/2317.asp

But im not sure of what better or more capability I would have over using the Marantz 8002 as my preamp like William suggested... To be honest, I really want\ in a preamp something that I can use with my computer wirlessly. Not that its a necessary option for everyone, but in the new age, I like to go big... at first I thought buying a 2000 dollar receiver was going big, but as I play with it and get into it, like I said earlier, the upgrade bug has me wanting more out of it. But first things first, get the RF-83's in July, then see how they sound. I think that is first thing I need to do like William said.

oh and far as money goes, i dont look at price to make decisions most of the time unless its pointless to spend more when i dont have to. but if i see something i reaaaaallly like, the price wont deter me from buying it unless im being taken advantage of

Seems to me you already have your mind made up, which is fine since it is YOUR money. You havent even gotten the 83's and already are expecting you need something bigger and badder all around. If you are wanting thump or pound in your chest, I would look at something alot more capable than a RW12D. I have this sub and feel it is more than sufficient for my listening patterns. You keep mentioning key phrases like thump, ear bleeding levels, I think you need to concentrate on one area. I mean you are all over the place, bi-wire this, bi-amp that. At some point you will actually have to listen to your gear for longer than 2 hours and get a nice reference, otherwise you will never know what all these upgrades-or money- did for you. Good luck and hope you find what your looking for.

i am sure that his center is using the third channel....and the sub is self powered and has an amp built in to it

What shortstack31489 said. My Onkyo sends a signal(with rca connections) from the left, right , center preouts to the B&K amp to power my front soundstage(left-center-right). The Onkyo uses it's surround channel built in amps to power the surrounds. There is a sub pre-out rca connection on the Onkyo to send a signal to my subwoofer's amp section. Your Marantz will have the same thing but probably in a different place.

Bill

I was really thinking that here in 2009 that there would be a really quite like tight preamp (really hi-tec and savy with all the bells and wistles offered) on the market in case I ever did want more out of a pre-amp than the Marantz 8002 could offer. Maybe there are, i just dont know of any.

I am a B&K fan. Here is another option if your Marantz alone(option 1), then your Marantz and an outboard amp(option 2), just doesn't do it. Remember, try option 1 first then option 2.

http://www.bkcomp.com/products/preamp-receivers/?tx_ttproducts_pi1%5BbackPID%5D=22&tx_ttproducts_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=11&cHash=4a85173845

with this

http://www.bkcomp.com/products/amplifiers/?tx_ttproducts_pi1%5BbackPID%5D=14&tx_ttproducts_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=10&cHash=f7aaf13d9a

All the bell's and whistles and a lot of clean power.

Bill