pro la scalas

So I have been planning to buy some regular home audio heresys, but while in new mexico I found a set of professional la scalas on sale. The cabinets are in mediocre shape and the tweeters are blown, but the guy is only asking $500 (and I think I could get them for even less). He used these for djing for 25 years. I was able to listen to them but it was in his garage so not the ideal conditions, but they sounded good to me. Is this too good a deal to pass up or should I just wait for some cornwalls or heresys to come my way? Also, any ideas on a way to make them more presentable (the coat is peeling)? Thanks for any advice.

So I have been planning to buy some regular home audio heresys, but while in new mexico I found a set of professional la scalas on sale. The cabinets are in mediocre shape and the tweeters are blown, but the guy is only asking $500 (and I think I could get them for even less). He used these for djing for 25 years. I was able to listen to them but it was in his garage so not the ideal conditions, but they sounded good to me. Is this too good a deal to pass up or should I just wait for some cornwalls or heresys to come my way? Also, any ideas on a way to make them more presentable (the coat is peeling)? Thanks for any advice.

Since they are Pro LaScalas, they will be easy to fix up. They are just painted! Sand them down some, dig any loose wood out of dings with a screw driver. Fill in any dings, cracks, or gouges with car Bondo. Sand them smooth and repaint with several coats of Black.

The Tweeters are K-77s, and you can easily buy new diaphrams on ebay and replace them yourself. If you are not a do-it yourselfer, you can send them to Bob Crites (BEC) here on the forum, and he will do it for a small fee.

The Pro-LaScalas have a K-43E woofer in them rated at 200 watts continuous instead of the home LaScalas K-33E wich is rated at 100 watts continuous. Unless you have a big amp, the K-33E will sound better and be more efficient. You can buy some K-33Es on EBay and sell the K-43Es for slightly more then the K-33s to recoupe some money if you so desire.

If you want them to look really nice, you can take them to a car painter and have the cabinets sprayed any candy color car paint you might like.

Roger

• 1 month later...

you can take them to a car painter and have the cabinets sprayed any candy color car paint you might like.

But not blue! There's already one pair of SmurfScalas out there. Do we need more?

If you want to upgrade the tweeters, Bob Crites sells the CT125 complete tweeters (drivers and horns) and they sound noticeably better than the K-77s.

Strange, I heard that the La Scala with K43 has better upper-bass at the expense of bass extension. I like it with a sub anyway!

Not strange..........TRUE. I had both woofers in my LaScalas and the K43 has a higher "BL product" which tips the response in favor of the higher end, which means better midrange detail blending with the K400 mid-horn (lots of listening and measurements). The lower bass is thinner but much tighter overall, so for those who use subs with LaScalas (a must in my opinion) the K43 is a better choice...............or you could compromise with a K33 and no sub..................but you will never have the bass of the 8-foot long Khorn with that woofer, or an MWMs (6-foot long) for that matter. You can't get powerful bass from a 2 3/4 foot long LaScala bass section, even in a corner, sorry.

• 5 weeks later...