Back from our Wisconsin fishing trip

wuzzzer

Had another excellent week of fishing on the Lower Eau Claire lake in northwestern Wisconsin! We stayed there 3 years ago, last year and were there for the past week.

The weather was a LOT colder than we had expected, it was only in the upper 50s/low 60s for the first few days there and was very windy and misty as well. I only brought shorts and short sleeve shirts so I kind of froze out on the boat.

My wife and I were up there all week and my Mom, Dad, Grandma (who's going to be 92 this year!) and my brother came up Wednesday through today. The cabin was described as a 2 bedroom cabin but they actually had 4 beds and a nice sized couch so we all had plenty of room.

Yesterday was the best day of the week weather-wise. It was about 76 and mostly sunny with a very light breeze off the lake. I was on the lake fishing for about 10 hours yesterday.

The week's total: 117 panfish, 1 northern pike, 2 largemouth bass and 2 perch! We caught well over 300 panfish but we ended up with 117 that were 'keepers.' It was the most fish I had ever caught on that lake yet. We had two huge fish frys and brought home a ton of fish as well. Last year I caught a 17" largemouth bass but the two that my brother and I caught this year were smaller, just at the legal limit.

My brother and I were approached by the Game Warden yesterday. She checked our licenses and what we had caught. It was the first time in my life I ever saw a Game Warden on a lake. I'm glad we both had our fishing licenses on us!

My wife and I celebrated our 7th anniversary while we were up there. I bought her a couple pairs of diamond earrings and she got me some cologne, CDs and a gift certificate to a local men's suit store so I can get a suit or two that actually fits me after my weight loss. Surprisingly, my parents, grandma and brother pretty much paid for the cabin as their anniversary present to us! They were all appreciative of the fact that we wanted them to come up there with us. We have a lot of great memories as a family going to cabins like that.

• Moderators

Sounds like a good time it's great to have everyone there with y'all also thats the kind of things you will remember.

50's and 60's I wish, we have been over 95 everyday for weeks now, we live to close to the sun ! [:@]

Good thing you had legal fish too.

- thank goodness they wernt the criminal type [:P]

Wuzzzer - first things first.. Happy anniversary to you and wife and time away sounded like a great one, filled with great memories to last for a long time.

ok to the serious stuff - Fishing - OMG what a trip. FANTASTIC stuff. great success and a lot of fun, I bet you cant wait to go back. Well done again.

Like professor thump touched on, good stuff for having and buying your fishing licence. It would of been a sour point on your trip if you hadnt had one on you. [Y]

Thanks everyone. It was a great week. Its sad how fast the week goes when you're having fun like that. The owner of the resort did say he'll be contacting me in December to see if we want to stay again next year. Hopefully it'll work out!

There are a lot of walleyes on the lake but I prefer fishing for smaller, easier to catch fish. Funny thing, I've fished for walleyes several times and the only time I've caught one was in the Mississippi River when I was going for smallmouth bass. One walleye in my entire life!

Here's a picture of the northern I caught:

Posted Image

Here's a couple lake pictures:

Posted Image

Clouds finally leaving!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image