Cartridges andTurntable belts

fini

Well, if that's the case, I'll probably opt for the above-mentioned Grado. Sounds like a good starting place with lots of room for upgrades. Still, it's curious I haven't found anything on this cartridge. Maybe it was available only with the Dual as a promo? Who knows? Thanks,

fini

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having great luck with AudioTechnica's AT440ML. MM, 5mv output, and a microline stylus (like stereohedron, or Van den Hul) that rides fairly low in the groove -- where hopefully damage hasn't been done by larger styli Smile.gif

100 bucks online, or if you're impatient, 150 at local 'gotta have it NOW!' pricing.

I"m liking it more than the Grado Black it replaced. No mistracking, not even at the inner grooves on LOUD recordings. Amazing little cart. Its also very purple Biggrin.gifPurple!

------------------

---

Klipsch SF2

Thorens TD145 / AT440ML turntable

Dynaco Stereo 70 power

Sansui CA-2000 pre

Pioneer RT707 tapedeck

Pioneer 4100 cd player

Mobile, Could you please explain the idea of turntable/cartridge matching? When you say the AT0C9 is unusable on (my) tables do you mean that they physically won't work, or something like they are too "revealing" or "fine" to be used with lower grade TT's? Thanks, again.

fini

Here are some relavant comments and some interesting info relating to the tonearm/cart compliance.

http://www.gcaudio.com/Archives/tonearmcartidge.htm

kh

ps- btw, the Archives link on that Galen Carol Audio site has some good points. I dont agree with all of it and some mate well with the fact that he is selling his shop, but there are some good points within. As always, read with grain of salt in hand.

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Two comments to offer:

1) I am surprised to hear a Grado cartridge described as sounding sterile! I use an F1+ that I bought in 1978 or so, and I still think it is lush and warm, and haven't gotten the urge to replace it with anything that I can afford. I haven't heard the model mentioned above, but I know that 'way back then all of the Grados from the bottom up had a similar sound (I also have an FTE+1 in an old Pioneer tt in one of the basment systems, that cartridge cost $13 in the late-1970's).

2) Another good source for tt belts IME is Elex Atelier. I got a belt for my Philips AF877 from him and found him helpful and prompt (albeit expensive) The replacement belt appears to be silicone rather than rubber, so I suspect it will last forever. He has a website, or you can e-mail him at lpbelts@yahoo.com.

Hope this is helpful.

------------------

all the best,

mrh

Mobile- Thank you for the link-very informative. Although he's referring to higher-end cartridges and tonearms, I assume the same physics hold true for the gear with which I'm dealing.

I stopped by an audio shop (Soundscape) in nearby Santa Rosa today, and had a nice conversation with an employee there who regularly posts on the AA Vintage forum (don't know his handle there). He was able to look up the AT155LC/U in his stylus replacement book. It said that it originally retailed for $250. He's got tools there for mounting and adjusting the cartridge, and is interested in seeing my "stuff." I'll try to dig up specs and see what ballpark I'm in before sinking dough into a replacement stylus.

Mark- I did e-mail Elex Atelier early this morning, and got a really fast response. Seems like a good guy. BTW, what model Pioneer TT do you have?

fini

Hello Mark... When I say sterile, what I mean is they generally provide a more flat and thin image compared to better high output moving coils such as the Bluepoint, which is not that expensive. Believe me, I admire the Grados and have gotten them since the 70s. I had the same F1+ on a Yamaha TT in the mid 70s before I got my Linn. I have had more Grados than any other cartridge as a matter of fact. That just dont bloom the way the better cartridges do but are GREAT for the price. But once you use the next step up, the low price Grados really are hard to go back to.

In fact, I have at least three of them that are UNUSED that I would be willing to sell. They are the ZTE+1 and I have the original packaging, with nuts and bolts plus the little screwdriver etc. I dont have any styli left as I kept using them up. But the cartridges are new.

If anyone is interested, drop me a mail.

kh

• 3 weeks later...

With my recent Cornwall additions, I have taken my vinyl out of storage, for listening.

My TT is a Kenwood KD-500, heavy concrete resin base,

with isolation pods.

The tonearm is an English low-mass, manufactured in the late '70s under the name "Formula 4".

The cartridge is a SONUS RED.

This cartridge replaced a SHURE V-15 Type 3, many years

ago.

I am ready to replace the SONUS' stylus, but I don't know where to look for these. The audio salon I purchased this from, has long ago, gone out of business.

Any info./help is appreciated.

A little more info. on the TT setup...

Its a Kenwood KD-500, direct drive unit. Heavy platter

nicely manufactured.

The tonearm is a very low-mass design, by an English company. The arm is a MayWare Formula IV.

The cartridge is a Sonus, designed I think by Peter Pritchard after he left ADC in the mid-'70s.

Sonus made several cartridge models, including a Silver, Blue and Red.

I need either : 1) a good replacement Sonus stylus;

or 2) a suitable replacement cartridge that will track and sound as well as this Sonus.

The TT has been in hibernation for a bunch of years, and is re-appearing with the addition of my Cornwalls!

I have tried some of search engines for Sonus cartridges, but not much luck...

Any help/info. is appreciated...

Cartridge selection is a matter of taste versus cost. If you have a bunch of friends who will lend you cartridges to test it makes it easier. However, not everyone has that luxury, so you have to go by other peoples opinions. I have owned a couple of Shure V15VxMR's. I had a problem with hum coming from my system and tried just about everything to eliminate every possibility. I was so convinced that the Shure wasn't the problem I wouldn't even consider it. A friend brought over his turntable to try to convince me that it was the turntable or cartridge. I hooked his up and the hum was gone. So we swapped out the cartridge on my turntable and voila the hum was gone. So I bought a Grado to replace the Shure.

One thing to definitely keep in mind in selecting a cartridge is cartridge/arm compliance. For optimal performance you must stay within the compliance of the arm you are using.

Try the Sumiko Blue Point which goes on sale for $160 or so. Very nice sound, even on an older direct drive unit with low mass arm, not exactly the best combo, although they thought so at the time. If you get heavily into vinyl, you might consider replacing the rig.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

• 2 weeks later...

Have you though of cutting something out of old inner tubes, free in the dumpster at the truck tire place. I use that material all the time for making my own gaskets and stuff. Also you might try to tie a bunch of rubber bands together. I went through this when I needed to repeatedly replace the belf on my Revolver turntable. Basically they have you by the short hairs (where are those anyway?) and you may just have to bite the bullet ($) and buy a belt from those guys that have the machine which fuses toghether a little dinky piece of plastic which resembles and works like the original belt and pay them through the nose....oh that's where those short hairs are, right?

-balled and peened

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-30-2002 at 12:29 AM

C&S- Unfortunately I didn't see your post with all the great suggestions in time. Last night, out of desperation, feeling all alone with this problem, I took matters into my own hand. Having tons of building materials here on my compound, I thought to myself "Hey...why don't I make my own turntable belt?" It couldn't be that hard, right? Certainly it wouldn't be as complex a job as building a cabinet or a house. Boy...was I wrong!

Long story short: The poured-in-place silicone caulk belt idea did not work.

But, damn it, at least I tried.

fini