Cartridges andTurntable belts

fini

Yesterday, Clipped and Shorn came over to examine (and troubleshoot) my recent audio aquisitions: a Dual 1219 turntable, a Pioneer PL-41 turntable, and a Pioneer SX-1050 receiver. So far, the SX-1050 seems good to go. The PL-41 needs, at least, a new belt. The 1219 "works," but needs a good going through, cleaning, lubricating, etc. Both TT's need new cartridges.

So, my plan is to get a service manual and an instruction manual for the Dual (reprints available on eBay, etc.), a belt for the Pioneer, and at least one cartridge, depending on how the repairs go.

My questions are: Where is the best place to get new belts? What would be some choices for good cartridges for these turntables (I don't want to spend a fortune on these).

C&S and I agreed, the Pioneer PL-41's looks had a certain "cool" appeal. Is anyone familiar with this model?

fini

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a variety of cartridges you can try Needle Doctor . Once you find one in your range start looking at other sites for that same model. I bought a Shure V15VxMR from Audio Advisor for $275 and another site had it for $239. I thought I was getting a good deal at $275 since Needle Doctor and some others were asking $325. There have been some praises on this BB about Grado cartrides but I haven't heard one yet. Needle Doctor may be able to come up with some belts for ya although I've been told a long time ago by a friend /technician that the factory belts usually work best and last the longest. Most local shops I go to just want you to bring in the old belt so they can size it up with "XYZ Company"'s close match.

About a year ago I went to Yamaha to get a couple for the PF-800 but they cost a mint, about $18 ea. if memory serves.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 03-01-2002 at 09:24 AM

fini never ceases to amaze me with what he finds on the bargain tables of yard sales and flea markets! You should see that Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, or better yet you should try to pick it up. Man does that thing have some large transformers, heaviest home electronic thing I've ever tried to pick up. Looks to be a really top of the line SS unit, be interesting to hear what it does on the track.

Also I It didn't realize that Pioneer made such a nice turntable. It matches the receiver cosmetically. Very straight forward, simple, and elegant. No reason not to believe it will be just dandy with the right cartridge. If nothing else the dual gives him a 78 speed which comes in handy when playing grandma's old records for the kids. Like my Dual 1019 it seems like there are too many moving parts under there, but it was working. Sometimes with these old units there can also be a problem with the wiring from the cartridge to the jacks. They can pick up all sorts of undesirable noises etc.You will know about that when you hook it up and listen even with the old cartridge that it came with.

Of all the ways we are all trying to beat the system (257K preamps etc.) yours will be one to write a book about. "How I put together a high-end audio system for under..... $ whatever.

Meanwhile I am getting excited about the prospective chopped, channeled, dropped, and supercharged pp triode wizardry mdeeneen is dreaming up to hide under the hood of my unassuming Dynakit-70ST designed to make my Cornwalls sing more clearly.

-cluttered and shelved

Fini,

Dual mates well with Shure cartridges, so you may want to look at www.garage-a-records.com for accessories. I have two Dual tables, both with Shure cartridges and I am very happy dealing with this website (they are also the cheapest place I have found and is the website that Tblasing is talking about above). They also carry a full line of headshells for all the Dual tables. I have also heard that www.all-electronics.com is the place for belts and I think you can get Dual headshells there as well...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Thanks, gents! How do I go about deciding how much to spend on a cartridge? Obviously, you get what you pay for. I don't have a very big budget for the cartridge (for God's sake, I shop at garage sales, don't I?), but want something decent, not crappy...a bargain!

fini

Keith- You bet! At least for the Dual 1219 (lot's more complicated, more things wrong), although manuals for the Pioneer would be a plus. Do you have a line on some (I've seen 'em on the web and on eBay)?

Ed- Neither cartridge has a name on it! Both appear to be rather cheaply made.

Thanks,

fini

fini,

Without a doubt I would not play a single record with the cartridge/stylus that came with the TT. I received some good advice from the Vinyl Asylum where they told me if I didn't know a stylus's history to not use it. It could ruin your record collection. They told me if nothing else to replace the stylus. Who is the maker of your existing cartridge? I would call them to see if they have a replacement stylus program where you send them your old one for a new one in return. This would be for a nominal fee of course.

I did this with my Shure V15V-MR cartridge which requires a VN5MR stylus and retails for $160, but was able to find it for $125 at www.garage-a-records.com . When I called Shure, they told me to send in the old stylus plus $20 and they would give me a new one. All I can say is what a difference!

After you get used to the cartridge on there, you might want to experiment with others as you go. Good luck with it...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 02-27-2002 at 11:10 AM

Fini,

You might want to consider the Grado ZTE+1. It's not very much and generally considered to be very very good for the $30 or so you pay for it.

Sounds like you've got some undercover happenings (what the wife doesn't know, won't hurt) going on in the "Bat Cave"?

Mike L,

Is your new Shure "in the house"? No more hum?

Klipsch out

I have a box of Grado ZTE+1....neat little cartridges for cheap. But move up to something like the Sumiko Blue Point (or others) and you wont BELIEVE the difference. The Grado's are OK for the ducats but not that magical to me. Also, they have a problem with hum and suspension problems with some TT. I always thought they didnt quite sound warm and musical enough for me. They have a tendency to sound sterile.

The Cartridge can REALLY change the sound of a table and give a so-so table some life.

Mike, you might try different grounding schemes with your phono. Have you plugged it into your different line amps? Have you floated the ground with a cheater plug? Have you moved the unit away from sources of hum? Try an ferrite filter on the ground wire and the plugs. OTher options too...

kh

ps- Always get a new stylus. And it is almost advisale to get a new cartridge as well... Clean the leads to the cartridge too. IF an MC, demagnetize...even a MM benefits according to some.

mobile,

I have tried grounding to the PH-1 and the Denon 4800 and I get the same hum. This seems to occur when I turn the voume on the Denon to about -7 or -8 (approximately 95 db of SPL). Of course the louder I turn it up the louder the hum, but it starts at right around that volume. I have not tried a cheater plug and at the moment I can't really move things because a 1m IC barely reaches the Denon from where they sit. I'll give a cheater plug a try...

Mike

I've got here in my hands a cartridge (off a Dual 601), an Audio Technica AT155LC/U, that I, for the life of me, cannot find a reference to. I've looked at the AT site, where they have an alphanumeric listing of all their products, and it's not listed. It must be an older unit? Anyone have any leads on this? I'm wondering if it may be worth getting a new stylus, but so far I haven't even found what stylus it takes. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a digital camera, or I'd post a shot. It's a 1/2" mount, black plastic body with a gold metal hood. The model number is on the top of the cartridge, and on the "front" is the AT logo.

fini