Cartridges andTurntable belts

fini

Ah yes the old poured in place silicone belt idea. Good, you used the large caulking gun right? Now you really do have Sticker Shock.

The cute gal at the check stand at Home Depot told me I had a Butyl Caulk when actually it was the large Silicone one, dented at that. What kind of tool do you use to pinch off the end?

-glazed and crazed

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will tubes of caulk work in a HF-81? Maybe in a pinch...

fini

p.s. I think I know the gal you're talking about @ HD. Best to take her word for it: She's tried every caulk in the store, and can't get enough. Real expert, she is.

Okay

I was reading thru this thread about cartridges and hum. I have a Scott P-87 TT. About 2 months ago I bought a Grado ZTE+1 cartridge and didn't think much about Hum after I installed it. Anyway's I have allot of hum with the TT hooked to my Amp but none with it unhooked so I started messing with it today. Nothing I did seemed to help at all. I also would like to add that it hums somewhat less when it resting in its cradle and as its moved closer to the record it hums more and more. So I got out my old Cartridge that came with it which was a Shure with a Radio Shack\Shure stylus. What do you know !! no more hum at all no mater where the arm is.

Does anyone have any Idea why the Grado would hum so much ??

I love vinyl but know little or nothing about Needles and setup. I just set the weight so it doesn't float and sounds good and anti skate so it doesn't skate LOL !!!!!

I'm thinking of buying one of those $20 weight setup tools and trying to do this right but would also like to have a good cartridge to start off.

I also have a Empire Cartridge that needs a needle anyone know If Empires are any good ? As far as that goes how about the Shure ??

Thanks Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

MoparMan-

Back when I was selling audio gear for a local store chain I do remember people bringing me styli and cartridges for replacement styli. I don't ever remember Empire being all that expensive to replace (under $12.00 and most running under $8.00) but that was 1983.

Shure makes a pretty decent MM cartridge. Though like many manufacturers there is a price/quality range. The V15VxMR is Shure's flagship model and can be found for about $237(?) on the net. Most other places will sell it for $275 to $325. Shure does make a lower line for, say, DJ work and fro people on a tighter budget. About $100 or so. I can't vouch for the sound of that one though, I've never heard it.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

tblasing

First off NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide systems 440 stands for .060 over bored 427 Big Block chevy. So I'm no mopar man LOL !!!!

I just recieved a reply from Grado on my cartridge problem. I'll tell you one thing I'll never buy another one from them this is there response to my Hum problem.

"Hello Craig:

Our cartridges are not shielded by design. You are picking up

motor noise from your turntable. Sorry.

Regards,

Grado Labs"

Do you believe that. There big time cartridges can't perform as well as el cheapo most likely from the 60's Radio Shack brand. Some company they are !!!

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>