Need Help Replacing Yamaha Receiver

Klipschter

Budget Range: $800-$1500

I am looking for a new receiver for my Klipsch home theater setup. My current receiver, a Yamaha RX-V559, seems to make the sound of my speakers bright, tinny, and even shrill when playing music at higher volumes, although this problem is not very noticeable when viewing movies or playing video games. My less than perfect room and close listening position may be to blame more than the receiver for this. My room is small, 9ftX16ft, and the speakers are placed rather close to the walls.

I know Klipsch speakers are naturally on the brighter side of the sound spectrum, but it would be nice if someone could recommend some receivers that could tame the brightness a little bit. I have been looking at Pioneer's new SC-25 and VSX-23TXH models. The high end audio dealer that just sold me my JL Audio Fathom sub recommended Integra. The features/needs for this new receiver are a good room/auto calibration system, HDMI inputs, DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD decoding, and a more "warm" or neutral sounding receiver. My main concern is: am I going to get noticeably better sound quality if I stretch my budget for a higher end $1000+ receiver?

What is your source ie. Ipod, tuner, or CD? Many times it is a source issue or room acoustics. How loud are you listening? You may actually be clipping the signal if overdriving. What Klipsch speakers do you have? If you dont mind last year models, take a look at Denon's 3808CI, they can be had for around 1K or less, since the newer 3310 and 4310 were just released. For every replying post, you will probably get a different answer when it comes to receivers. I would first rule out the source as being the culprit of the brightness.

I'm willing to bet that you will always "notice" a difference with different recievers, whether that difference is a good one or not remains to be seen.

Around here we usually recommend that you take a close look at the listening room before switching out any electronics, specifically because a "live sounding" listening room can be made to sound worse when you throw more power/SPL at it.

On the electronics side, I would put my money on using a system of seperates, which can be done for not too much more than your original budget. Integra does indeed make some nice units, especially their Preamp/Processors (which feature all sorts of video wizardry and Audessey MultEQ, etc.). This would then allow you to get a seperate outboard amp, which will afford you much more headroom than 99% of the recievers available. I personally think Emotiva has a hard-to-beat deal in their XPA-5 amplifier, which can be had for under $1K, but there are hundreds of other good brands and models out their to choose from.

It would also help to know which speakers you are currently using.

Hope that helps!

It is difficult to get into seperates with a 1500 budget, even with the great Emotiva Amp deal, with the features that your looking for in a preamp. I see your running the R82 system as speakers, and looks like the Yamaha is a 6.1, 95W/channel receiver. Being that it is only 6.1, I will guess it is at least 5 years old. I would also make sure and not use any of the DSP when listening to music. If it wasnt recorded in 5.1, I would only listen in a 2 channel straight or direct mode, whatever Yamaha terms this feature. It is possible that the Yamaha is running out of gas and clipping if you are trying to get serious volume from the RF82. I would still rule out source and environment. Try this, stand in middle of listening area and clap your hands, do you hear reverb? If yes, you probably have a "bright" room and will effect listening.

If you're open to using Factory Refurbs, check out the Onkyo PR-SC886. It's from their Pro Line. It's a terrific pre/pro for $1000 (refurb'd).

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKPRSC886/Onkyo/PR-SC886-THX-Ultra2-Plus-7.1-Channel-3-Zone-Preamplifier/Processor-/1.html

Don't know what the Emotiva amp deal is mentioned above, but maybe this will get you into some very nice separates.

Sorry I thought my system profile also displayed in my profile signature. The audio sources I use are exclusively CDs played through either my blu ray player or XBOX 360. Overly bright sound doesn't seem to be a problem, even on low quality burned cds, when I have the volume on my receiver set to -20db. When I get to the -15db range I start to notice a difference. Part of the problem is I have to turn up the volume on some content to get the kind of bass response I want. I could turn up the sub volume but the sub is already boomy set at -7/-6db. Hopefully the new Fathom sub (which just arrived at the store today) I got will fix that with tighter, less boomy, and less muddy bass when listening to music. My RW-12d is good for movies and video games but its not the most musical sub. I don't know, maybe I'm just hearing the overly bright sound to justify a new purchase. In any event I'm still getting a new receiver. I did notice none of you endorsed the Pioneers I was looking at. Any particular reasons? Someone also mentioned purchasing separates. I'm not really familiar with this setup and the benefits that an amp would bring to my setup. Could someone elaborate on how using an amp+receiver would be set up and what benefits it would bring?

What does an amp bring to the table in terms of sound quality? Less distortion, more bass, clearer sound at higher levels? I know that Klipsch speakers are known for their efficiency so is an amp offering more watts really necessary?

All of the above. It will also take some strain(wear and tear) off of the amps in the receiver and let it act mainly as a pre-pro. Semi-seperates is clearly a step above a receiver alone. Let the Emotiva power the front three and the receiver power the surrounds.

Bill

I'm leaning towards a receiver/amp combination. Could I use this Pioneer receiver with an Emotiva amp: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/EliteReceivers/ci.VSX-23TXH.Kuro. I noticed that the Emotiva amp also has XLR cable connections. JL Audio recommends connecting its subwoofers via XLR balanced cables. Could I hook my Fathom sub (In addition to my center and front speakers) up to the Emotiva amp, and would this be best way to setup my new sub?

If you want to go that route, I think I would just get the UPA-7 for only $100 more. It is 125 TRUE Watts x7, which I am sure would be more than enough with the RF82 especially in room your size. With the 7 channel, you would hook up all 5 speakers to it and have room for 7.1 in the future. I have never heard the Emotiva's, but a few people here have them and say they are good amps.

EDIT You posted right before me, but the UPA-7 I listed does not have XLR's. If the Fathom has its own amp, than no you would not connect it to the Emotiva amp.

You could just go with a bigger Yamaha receiver. Your RX-V559 receiver is near the bottom of Yamaha's AV receiver line. As you move up the product range, the sound and power both improve. Lots of forum members are happily using higher-model Yamaha receivers with their Klipsch speakers.

As for going with a separate power amp, that usually gives you better sound, not because of the basic receiver + power amp combination, but because you'd normally get a hi-fi power amp which has better sound and maybe more power than the amp built into your mid-fi receiver. All it costs is money, and some more shelf space.

also with seperates you have room to upgrade/downgrade later on

i think many of us whom have seperates will find it hard to go back to avr for everything.

spend the money now and save later

its the best of both worlds IMO

Overly bright sound doesn't seem to be a problem, even on low quality burned cds, when I have the volume on my receiver set to -20db. When I get to the -15db range I start to notice a difference. Part of the problem is I have to turn up the volume on some content to get the kind of bass response I want. I could turn up the sub volume but the sub is already boomy set at -7/-6db.

Man.....

I don't get it... Either I have NO idea what I'm doing, or you are WAYYYYY overdriving your amp, to the point of Severe Clipping. If your turning up your volume to the -30DB range, your seriously taxing that amp section. No wonder your complaining about "Bright".

If you want to play music that Loud, you'd better get some "Serious Horsepower". Somewhere in the range of 400Watts or better.

I currently use a Sunfire Signature Cinima Amp 425WPC continuous at 8ohms, on all 5 channels. If I get around the -35DB range, my theater is getting seriously LOUD. I can't stand it for more than a few seconds at -25DB, and it's still Crystal Clear.

Think about what your really doing here, before you blow tweeters with that much clipping.