OT: Forty years since

Daddy Dee

any photos taken of them on the moon, from a telescope here on earth? That would seal the deal.

BTW, I have had a chance to "play" with one of the tiles. What protected them on re-entry 40 years ago?

We had it in a 500degree oven for a while then took it out by hand, bare hand! very cool (in both senses)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brac, the tile you speak of is too cool. How do they do it? My next question is why? What is up there that they spend so much $$$ that they have to keep going back? Are they looking for other life forms? If they are,and they find them, we don't need them here. We have enough on our plate as it is. Thats my 2 cents. I don't mean to sound cranky. In the morning my sugar is low and after I eat I see the world differently.

At one point it was thought that extra-terrestrial life forms had been found when some microbes were discovered on a subsequent trip to the Moon. They were on the lens or lens filter of a camera that had been left on the lunar surface during a previous trip and was then retrieved.

It turned out they were Earth microbes that had survived two or three years of hard vacuum, extremely cold temperatures and high levels of UV. Tough germs!

I've seen first hand astronauts get in the Shuttle, launch, and land, then get out of the shuttle

Ahhhh Grasshopper....but you missed everything in between which makes you a perfect shill for the people who say it really happened! Wink

Good point, except I've actually seen astronauts in person. I've never seen you, so I don't believe you exist. [;)]

of a camera that had been left on the lunar surface during a previous trip

Am I confused? I thought we had only been there once?

Six Apollo missions landed on the moon. Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, and 17.

Apollo missions 18, 19, and 20 were cancelled due to budget cuts and to make more funding available for the Shuttle program.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/apollo/index.html