Altec 511B & Driver/ Klipschorn question??

Dylanl

The view counter never works, just ignore it. Which ALK x-overs do you have? The universal crosses at 400Hz, whereas the 511 is only good to 500Hz, so you might want to raise your woofer/mid point to accomodate the 511s.

The magnets seem strong and the drivers read 7.3 and 6.9 in resistance. Al Klappenberger told me that these should work just start with the tap settings low around 0-1. He also said to watch because the volume could burn out the drivers ( see response below ).

Al I have the adapter and have tried that and it sounds great. I was just

>wondering about using the Altec drivers if it was better or worse.

Reply from Al....

"The Altec driver are better, but the horn itself is the big improvement.

You can use the Altec drivers by changing the transformer taps. If they are

8 ohm drivers, try taps 0-1 to start and be very careful with the volume

control!"

So I guess my 1st question is) are these 8 ohm drivers?

2nd question) How do I know which poll is positive and which is negative on these there are no markings?

It's an 800-series Altec, an 802, 806, 808, 809. If the magnet is good, an 809 can be turned into an 802/806.

How so?

I'm guessing by swapping the diaphragms. I say guessing because I'm not sure what the 809 has (symbiotic?), but the 802 and 806 have aluminum.

The 808/809 has a tougher, higher power diaphragm called pascalite. The response only goes up to 8k or 10k, the 802 diaphragms will fit and while they have a a much lower power rating (15 watts?) will go up to 16k to 18k in the old 800-series drivers.

Look up Great Plains Audio. They may still have diaphragms and 902 diaphragms may also fit. They can also help you figure out which model you have.

Yes, those are 8 ohm drivers.

I'dexpect the model number to be 808-8A. I THINK they were the most common. djk will know.

Symbiotic (807 and 808) and pascalite (809) diaphragms are also aluminum. I've never seen a pascalite but the symbiotics have a synthetic surround rather than the aluminum surround of regular aluminums, that's where the higher power handling comes from, that and more space between the diaphragm and phasing plug (the space being the main reason the highs suffer). The aluminum surrounds could crack under stress.

804 and 806 drivers have less extended highs than 802-902s because of their smaller magnets and are IMO not the Altec drivers of choice. They're fine though if you're using a tweeter.

Thanks Tom, I did not know if you still resided here. Tom, I have known you always to be level headed and knowledgeable about many brands along with Klipsch. I appreciate your input.

I will post a picture of the internals if it helps ( diaphragm ).

Thank You

" I don't know about the Altec drivers, but the K55 mounts right to the 511B's with an adaptor. I have run this combination for many years with my ALK Universals and they sound great! Much better than the K400 horn! Mike "

I have heard folks talk about an adapter. Is it one of these from Partsexpress?

Speakers >> Compression Horn Adapters ADM-25 or ADF-25, both under $10- each?

COMPRESSION HORN ADAPTERS
GridView.gif Grid View | ListView.gif List View Sort Results By Highest Rated Most Reviews Price Low to High Price High to Low Category Results Per Page 9 27 48 99
Items 1 through 3 of 3. All Records Shown
264-323
Selenium ADM25-25 Horn Adapter
stars_small45.gif (5 reviews)
List: $10.99
Now:
$6.35
In Stock

Ships Free on Most Orders Over $98
Add To Wish List
click for details
290-539
Eminence APT-3 APT To Screw-Thread Horn Adapter
stars_small45.gif (3 reviews)
List: $4.99
Now:
$4.47
Due 8/12/2009

Add To Wish List
click for details
264-322
Selenium ADF25-25 Horn Adapter
stars_small35.gif (9 reviews)
List: $5.99
Now:
$3.76
In Stock

Add To Wish List
click for details

I also have 511s and also have 902-8 ohm drivers. Could you use the 902s on the K400 horn of the Khorn or LaScala? Which adapter to use?

Can you use the K55 Klipsch driver on the 511 horn? Again, which adapter to use?

No one has mentioned how to raise the woofer/mid cutoff from 400 to 500 Hz on either the Klipsch A or AAs nor the ALK Universal? How do we do this?

But thanx for letting us know to adjust the auto transformer.

How does one get rid of the tweeter/mid cutoff at 4500 Hz so that the 511 horn can run from 500-20000 Hz?

THX from the Big Easy -- NOLA

Nola

I would recommend using the P-Audio adapters instead of the selenium, as the P-audio's are aluminum (and reasonably priced). If you want to mount a k55 to a 511, use the PC-25. Conversely, use the PC-35 for mounting a 902 to a k400. You mentioned raising the crossover point from 400 to 500Hz; for which mid driver, specifically for what impedance?