44th Annual GRAMMY Awards

BBB

So what do you think of this years winners?

Here's one that's way overdue:Best Rock Instrumental Performance, Jeff Beck for Track from: You Had It Coming,Dirty Mind.His Blow by Blow album has pushed me to buy a SACD player.My favorite guitar player.

WHO ELSE !

I have to agree with you James.FM is dead.I remember in the late 60's it was the only thing I would listen to.Listening to the first Tull,Zep and Hendrix albums on the air sprinlked with a little Cheech and Chung inbetween.Then a few weeks later I would drive down the road to see these guys live.I thought I'd never say it but those were the good old days.I don't pay attention to any of this award nonsense be it movies or music.I just brought it up because an old player like Beck might make some money in the long run from some hype he could care less about.I'm one of those old guys who used to go to the Philmore East and listen to Bill Graham telling everybody to be cool.I love live music.

Adios .

boa Beck's been putting out albums for 10 years I'd hardly call him a new guy. Not to mention Wired was Beck's, I mean Jeff Beck's 10th album. What a crock of crap the Grammy's are. It was VERY hard for me to sit still as some of the uninformed nominations were announced. Lionel Richie up for best Dance recording of the year???!!! Who nominates these tracks and how do we get them ousted?

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

You guys are talking about Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" & "Wired" - Great albums, but does anybody remember the real early Jeff Beck Group with Ron Wood & Rod Stewart? How about the "Truth" & "Beck O'la" albums? Some pretty good blues-rock there. I know - I'm showing my age here. Another favorite of mine is "There And Back". Saw Beck at the Spectrum in Philly for that tour & he had Simon Phillips on drums. That was a cool concert. Another trivia tidbit - check out the movie "Blow Up" by Michealangelo Antononio(?)- not sure of the spelling. This was available on VHS at one time - not sure if it's out on DVD. Anyway there's a club scene (I think The Crawdaddy Club) with the Yardbirds playing. Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page are both in this particular Yardbirds line-up. It's kind of a cool, artsy 60s film. If you can find it, it's worth watching to see J.B. torture, mangle & destroy a guitar. Ah, here I go time tripping again.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

I'm with you Lovedrummin. I'm one of those "old guys" too. Jeff Beck has 15 solo albums not including the Beck,Bogart and Appice ones. He has been given credit for playing guitar on over 120 albums.He's 57 years old.Not too shaby a career for "an old guy". LOL

Blow-Up is one of my faves. It's actually of of my "employee picks" at the video store I run. Another interesting tidbit...Herbie Hancock scores the flick. WARNING: Mime alert.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Pop music is dead, fragmented into so many different sub-genres; there will never be another epoch like the era from the late fifties to the mid-nineties (REM's last listenable album came out around then)... I can't watch the Grammy's any more, ever since Jethro Tull was awarded best metal band...

I don't own any REM albums, but I loved their recent video (don't know the song) filmed around a pool. I haven't seen it enough! Anybody know where I can get a copy?

I was happy to see Linnell & Flansburgh (John & John, aka They Might Be Giants) win for Boss of Me from the TV show Malcom in the Middle. TMBG is one of my favorite groups, and Malcom is a cool show. If you don't know TMBG, check out albums John Henry, Flood, or Apollo 18.

fini

how about Mary J Blige's performance. wow. one of the best i have witnesed, from her at least.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

quote:

Originally posted by chuckears:

I can't watch the Grammy's any more, ever since Jethro Tull was awarded best metal band...

I hear you loud and clear! The Grammys are a joke. Iggy Pop was also nominated for that award. Iggy Pop and Jethro Tull nominated for Best Metal Performance? Give me a break! Ever since then I realized the Grammy's are about popularity and not music.

the REM video is probably "imitation of life" off of their Reveal album. get this album for the summer, a great one to listen to with the windows down and the sun shining.

to me, all of REM's albums are listenable. you have to remember that after Monster, Bill Berry left the band for personal reasons (New Adventures in Hi-Fi was mostly recorded during the Monster tour, i believe). sure he was just the drummer, but he was one of the core members. when he left, REM remained but was a totally different band. if you look at REM before berry left and after, they are obviously very closely related, but they are two different entities. the new version "REM Mach II" so to speak (spinal tap reference implied) is more experimental. they have gone away from live drums on their albums because basically they dont have a drummer, yes they have someone to play live, but he's not really part of the band; more of a permanent session player.

now that you've gotten as much REM as you can stand, ill stop.