traffic signal light

BigStewMan

today i bought a traffic signal light at this antique store. another of those bachelor purchases. the traffic light works; but, all three lights are on at the same time. is it hard and/or expensive to make the lights come on in sequence--just like when they are operational on the road?

• Moderators

Nothing says bachelor like a traffic light in the room.

Just put a three way toggle switch to light any of the three lights one at a time, then hang a sign on it for " guest " who want to give you a signal, Green = go...well you know the rest.

Just put a three way toggle switch to light any of the three lights one at a time, then hang a sign on it for " guest " who want to give you a signal, Green = go...well you know the rest.   

good idea and if it's a certain lady that i'm sweet on, then i'll just replace the red and amber lens and have all three green. i win on a technicality then, right? I know she has a drivers license, and we're supposed to obey the traffic signals.

Just put a three way toggle switch to light any of the three lights one at a time, then hang a sign on it for " guest " who want to give you a signal, Green = go...well you know the rest.   

oh yeah dtel, i thought the neon lights and the 12 Klipsch speakers in the living room of a one-bedroom apartment were a sure give-away that a bachelor lived there. But, i guess a traffic light will remove all doubt.

• Moderators

It could always come in handy in court " Well you Honor she switched the light to green ! "

I always liked those things, In do have one of those four sided railroad lights but it's only about a foot high, red and green glass and one bulb in the center I think it was used for signaling ?

Big Stew: There are many options and ways to wire a traffic signal. I had brought one home from a job, and decided I wanted all three lights to flash (randomly and independently). I used a button flasher under all three lights and replaced the lamps with 15 watters, the mirrors behind the lamps are very powerful and 150 watters are blinding as they are meant to be visible in bright daylight in their normal application. Here is a link for the button flasher, but you might find them at an electrical supply house, or maybe even a hardware store. Wire it with a regular lamp cord and a simple in line roller switch and yer good to go. Red light, green light, 1 2 3! http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=E1008&Category_Code=RedEnlExt&Product_Count=0

How about a wooden phone booth from the '30's? I had one of those in my living room for awhile. I even had it hooked up to the phone system. It was next to the stuffed owl. Thankfully, I saw the error(s) of my ways.

I used to have a big dragster slick tire with glass on top for a Indy-style coffee table. Just bought a Lola magnesium wheel for conversation piece in the shop. I know guys here in town with various hoods and fenders from NASCAR hung in the ceilings of their garages and living rooms.

How about a wooden phone booth from the '30's? I had one of those in my living room for awhile. I even had it hooked up to the phone system. It was next to the stuffed owl. Thankfully, I saw the error(s) of my ways.

Hope you still have the phone booth squirreled away somewhere. They are worth megabucks today.

what you may want is a 'color organ' circuit so you can have the red beat to the bass, the green the mids and yellow to the high notes.

I remember those from the early '70s! I saw a few at parties, as frosted plastic panels with multi-coloured lights behind them, hooked up to the stereo, and I even remember a guy having one in his car. It was around 6" x 8" and sat below the middle of the dash. The car was a big '60s lead sled, don't remember the model. He thought it was the coolest thing. They were certainly way cooler than disco balls.