THEY LIVE!!!!

CIGARBUM

When I first started this project, I was a lot confused. There is a ton of material about putting the KHorns in proper corners to building your own corners and putting the speaker in the corner, but why not the 60th Ann or the Jub's they don't need corners. I simply enclosed the backs to form the same space, they really sound good. I believe the wooden horn was made by GotHover, one of his early models, no attachment provisions, I used the stock driver, GotHover said it was intended to use the stock driver. The trim work is just small profile molding attached to the top and bottom ofa the bass bin, you can''t see very well but 2 smaller pieces are also attached to the side of the HF cabinets. The grills are the stock KHorn grills that have been cut down and use the original grill cloth, got to be real careful there.

CB

I love my Cornscalas, the mids and high are next to none, and they have real good bass, but not as good as the KHorns, if you want they will kick you right in the chest, but that is not the natural sound I like.

The great thing about enclosing the backs you are totally independend of corners, I'm sure you have read all the threads, a lot of people really like them, well I love mine. I ran them for two weeks before I started the modification, what a differnce, you can point them to your sweet spot, just like the 60th's. If you have 12 feet between walls I believe that would be OK, they will flat fill the room with sound. I love the sound stage I get with mind.

I am lucky enough to have the Cornscalas, Belles and Cornwalls to compare too, I hae to agree with Winchester, they are at the top of the heap.

Open invitation to anyone want to listen, good sounds, cigars and some of that good scotch.

CB

Given my understanding I think Pete is onto something.

Even with the Jubilee, I'm led to believe that they need to be in or near a corner (within 10") to get the FULL extension that they're capable of. This isn't to say that they won't sound great without a corner, just that you might gain an extra bit of depth if you had them there.

Aside from that, they look fantastic!

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them compared with your Belles

• Moderators

They look great, that is some of the best looking Cherry I have seen. Definitely worth the months work, they are really nice. I also think the black bottom looks nice. Love those real wood walls also ! [Y]

Just to expand a little more, Pete and Rich are correctabout pulling the speaker out from the corner. I started with the speaker pushed in the corner and toed to my sweet spot, listened, then pulled it out about 3", better, continued until I got the best bass extension. that was about 10-12 " away from the corner and toed to the sweet spot. At that point I was happy with what I heard, best bass, best sound stage and great seperation. If you look at the pictures, I have one real good corner and the otherhas a jog in it, so it's only half a corner, and you haave to keep the door shut.

The other thing that may play a role in this is that when I removed the existing tail board, it's 1/2" 5 ply and 8"" wide, I replaced with 13 ply 3/4" BB and made it 10 1/2" wide, that width made the perfect intersection with the 45 degree for the wings, there 27" long. It almost seen that your turning a folded bass bin into a reflex type speaker, don't know.

I don't know if any of this is fact or not, I rely a lot on logic and good old common sense, so I may be all wet here. What I do know is that they sound pretty darn good.

CB

Please take pity on an old man. I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted. A stock KHorn are heavy enough and these mothers are A LOT heavier. It really pretty easy, you don't haave to put a full bottom if you don't want to, just a lot of little filler pieces, then its only three main pieces, the tail board, and the two wings.

I'll be more than happy to answer any question you have, if I was to take more pictures, you really wouldn't be able to see much.

CB

Please take pity on an old man. I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted. A stock KHorn are heavy enough and these mothers are A LOT heavier. It really pretty easy, you don't haave to put a full bottom if you don't want to, just a lot of little filler pieces, then its only three main pieces, the tail board, and the two wings.

I'll be more than happy to answer any question you have, if I was to take more pictures, you really wouldn't be able to see much.

CB

Sorry about the request of the rear. I understand that. If possible just wanting to see a closer photo of the front detail. Get a idea where how you used the black detail. or how you trimmed etc.etc. If too much trouble I understand. [:D]Great job I would just like to possibly copy some of your work. BadDad

I'm sorry I can't be more help but these things weigh a ton with all the additional wood on them. One decision you will have to make is how much you want to use the original bass bin to attach things to, I want to retain as much as possible, just in case this didn't work and I wanted to put back to stock, glue, screw holes etc.

The black molding was real simple, the bottom piece is just low profile stuff cut to length and 1.5" high, painted blace and pin nails, all the rest is 5/8" x 1/8" cut to length and painted black and pin nails.

Let me know if you need anything else.

CB