Need an advice on a speaker cable, please!

yrtimed

The thing is that, with hi-fi, as opposed to background music, we're looking for every detail, right down to the very faint echoes that will give a sense of the space where the music was performed. Some people don't care if they can hear "the change rattling in the conductor's pocket", but if you do think that level of clarity and "hearing right through to the music" is important, you look for all the little things that will bring you closer to that experience.

Those micro-details are many dB below the level of the instruments, so it doesn't take much resistance or distortion to lose them. You even need to have a very low noise floor in your listening room. Once you've got the best components you can afford, everything is in its optimum position and condition, and the music is sounding great, you may wonder if you've overlooked some minor detail.

You can't hear a 1% or 2% improvement in the sound, but if you make several 1% improvements, by the time you get to 5-10%, you will hear it. Most of the time, speaker cable changes are at the threshold of perception, the "jnd", or "just noticeable difference", but they are there. However, once you've heard it, you know what to listen for, and you'll notice changes/improvements you wouldn't have noticed before.

Make sense?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, before replacing the crappy wire you think you don't like and are using bare wire connections, try cutting off new ends to refresh that oxidated wire and make sure that the connections are tight. Using screw-on plugs? Make sure they are tight as well!

It's possible that the better sound with the new wire was simply caused by proper connections.

Bingo! I believe you have hit on the reason why changing wires sometimes causes a difference in sound. Unplugging and replugging, or unscrewing and rescrewing wires removes oxidation and reduces the resistance at the connectors. DeOxit works great for this also.

You guys are great (really). According to most of you guys, you have found the singular part in hi-fi where the cheapest (and I mean the absolute cheapest of the cheap) part is the perfect sonic solution. I can't think of any other part in my hi-fi where this would be true. Think of the money I'm wasting.............

Thanx, Russ

The thing is that, with hi-fi, as opposed to background music, we're looking for every detail, right down to the very faint echoes that will give a sense of the space where the music was performed. Some people don't care if they can hear "the change rattling in the conductor's pocket", but if you do think that level of clarity and "hearing right through to the music" is important, you look for all the little things that will bring you closer to that experience.

Those micro-details are many dB below the level of the instruments, so it doesn't take much resistance or distortion to lose them. You even need to have a very low noise floor in your listening room. Once you've got the best components you can afford, everything is in its optimum position and condition, and the music is sounding great, you may wonder if you've overlooked some minor detail.

You can't hear a 1% or 2% improvement in the sound, but if you make several 1% improvements, by the time you get to 5-10%, you will hear it. Most of the time, speaker cable changes are at the threshold of perception, the "jnd", or "just noticeable difference", but they are there. However, once you've heard it, you know what to listen for, and you'll notice changes/improvements you wouldn't have noticed before.

Make sense?

I think Pat really nailed it on the head here. [Y]

Once you've got the best components you can afford, everything is in its optimum position and condition, and the music is sounding great, you may wonder if you've overlooked some minor detail.

That's the right way to do it, but it seems like there are a lot of folks who have good stereo equipment that isn't set up properly. Swapping wires looking for some improvement when an armoire is partially blocking a speaker is foolish.

Once you've got the best components you can afford, everything is in its optimum position and condition, and the music is sounding great, you may wonder if you've overlooked some minor detail.

That's the right way to do it, but it seems like there are a lot of folks who have good stereo equipment that isn't set up properly. Swapping wires looking for some improvement when an armoire is partially blocking a speaker is foolish.

It's funny just how often you see things like that. Also lots of setups where the only obvious listening chair or sofa is off to one side. It seems like many people think that if you choose good gear, it has to sound great, no matter where you plunk it down in the room.

• 2 years later...

Wow, this thread is a gold mine for audiophile mumbo jumbo, self-fulfilling prophecy, wishful thinking, and most important of all, conspicuous consumption. My conclusion is that people who spend enormous amounts of money on audio equipment don't want to be embarassed by using mere zip cord or Best Buy Monster cable to connect their speakers. The whole point is the cost.

And when we get to hell, we'll meet all our friends. "Hell, the place where everyone knows your name..."

At least there will be beer...

untitled_th3.jpg

Geezzz, I do miss these guy's... Funny how I always seem attracted to shows that center around a bar or watering hole.... lol..

I am very glad to see the topic is still alive :)

I can tell you what I ended up doing. For speakers, I bought plain "AudioQuest CV-1 bulk" ($49.98 for 9 meters, year and a half ago from Amazon), cut it to exactly the length I needed and have been using with no complains since then. Didn't use any plugs, just tightened the screws.

Till recently I've been using it in the "bi-wire" mode, then I suddenly felt weird about using so different gauges (look at the picture of CV-1) for lows and highs, so yesterday I put back the jumpers. I am not saying I can hear the difference, but my feeling of symmetry is no longer offended :)