Tricky Business with Online TT Purchase?

Islander

Last week I just missed out on a purchase of a slightly used Technics SL-1210M5G turntable, so I checked the price of a new one. According to the local Technics dealer, they're no longer available in Canada and the price was around $1000CAD. This is the 30th anniversary Grand Master model, with upgraded tonearm, upgraded tonearm cabling and upgraded audio cables, as well as a few other details that distinguish it from the regular SL-1210MK5.

When I checked US listings, most sites listed the price in the $600-800USD range, so when I saw a price of $450 on a California site, I called right away. The site looks legit, but I wondered about the name, Palermo Books, since we all know Palermo is a city in Sicily with a bit of an organized crime problem. Maybe that means nothing.

Anyway, I made the order and gave the sales rep my credit card number. He assured me it would be shipped the next day, Friday, August 23rd. I received an invoice by email the next day, but the $22 shipping was now $58.95. No worries, $22 did sound too low, since my Dx38 cost $50 to ship here from California and it's smaller and lighter.

This morning, two days later, I received an email that read as follows:

"it was a pleasure to speak with you earlier this week;

please be advised however, that i'm having difficulty processing your purchase with my payment processor & bank. its either on my end or theirs, and i'm not sure how long it will take me to get this worked out. this sometime happens when i attempt to process cards issued in foreign countries. nothing is wrong with your card.

moreover, i'm in the process of entering into contract with "moneybookers", the international acclaimed international payment processors headquartered in London.

having reported this i'm hereby requesting that you cancel this order as soon as possible, and thereafter either mail to me a money order in the amount of 450.00. not $472.00. i'll pay the shipping because of this inconvenience.

please send your money order via federal express or other overnight carrier as you may wish. or better yet; if you have the time, how bout depositing the sum of 450.00 into the [my] wells fargo bank account there in Victoria?

this would certainly expedite things; either way let me know what you want to do so that i can be guided accordingly.

i've [Danny, in the warehouse] pulled your turntable from our inventory, inspected and repacked it and it's ready to ship and shall ship the same day i receive your money order.

should you decide to do the deposit, i'll email you the account number in two different emails for security reasons.

i apologize for this quirk, and plead that you understand and will continue to help me make this sale. regards."

Does this sound fishy in any way? I haven't made that many online purchases, so I'm asking you more experienced types for your opinions. Thanks.

Well, I just called the credit card company and no transaction has gone through, so the credit card rep said it would be a judgement call on my part, since the situation could be as described. I'll still wait for some more opinions from the forum.

It sounds pretty fishy. I'd say there is a small chance it's not a scam, maybe 10-20%. But whatever you decide to do, I sure would NOT send him a money order. He can cash it and you will be holding the bag if he decides to blow you off. Do you have a real address or phone number on this seller? If so, check him out. If not, take a pass.It might be prudent to cancel that credit card number also.

• Like 1

The place does have a real address and phone number. I did speak to the guy, since I'm still dubious about sending my credit card number blindly into the ether/Web. It's actually a college and Christian bookstore that also sells some audio gear, as well as astronomical stuff, dorm furniture, computers and other things. There seem to be a few locations across the US. The website looks to be totally on the level.

This is their homepage: http://www.palermobooks.com/index.html

This is their turntable page: http://www.palermobooks.com/turntables.html

Here's how I responded:

I agree to cancel the order, since you're having difficulty processing my
payment. I would prefer not to send a money order or make a deposit to your
account, especially after cancelling the order.

When I contacted Visa today, they were not sure what sort of problem would
hinder your processing of my card. Do you think you will be able to resolve
this issue in the next few days? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Maybe he'll sort it out. The next lowest price I could find was $120 more and most were $200-300 more, so it is pretty tempting, if it's for real. When I Google the name, their site comes up, but nothing else like "problem" or "complaint" linked to the name.

I even looked them up on Reseller Ratings, but they weren't listed: http://www.resellerratings.com/rlist-s1-n2.html

UPDATE: the sales rep emailed to thank me for cancelling the order and said that it would take 2-3 weeks before he was up and running with "moneybookers" and that he'd let me know when he was able to process a payment from me.

I replied with thanks and asked him to get back to me when he had it together. The well-known shops like B&H Photo/Video are asking $750 for this turntable, while he lists it for $450, so you can see my motivation, as long as the deal can actually go through.

Islander,

I looked at both the money broker and the selling websites. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Palermo books says: "Blended in with our Business concepts is our ultimate goal ....which is a desire to one day become an additional communications platform and student forum, whos concentration is identifiable with the Cultural and Multicultural educational abstracts of learning;....a student managed media;....addressing the Persuasion of environments, faiths and legend....how cultures relate to that which is taught and that which is duly influenced by teaching.....as may have been presented and learned as truth? However, when indeed analyzed, is not, necessarily so.......why persons feel the way they do, within the understanding of enlightenment."

If that isn't a big pile of BS I don't know what will convince you. This is not a company involved in selling hi-fi equipment. Deal with someone who is selling hi-fi gear. The price alone should tell you it's a scam................

Thanx, Russ

Thanks for reading through all this and for all the responses, guys, Russ in particular! This is starting to show more red flags than a bullfight. It looks like I'd better deal with a recognized firm that has a good reputation. Then, at least, the deal will actually go through as it should.

Pat, the address on the website (in Berkeley, CA) appears to be a mailbox rental place. I couldn't find any dirt on the owner or the business. You might want to contact an East Bay member to go check the place out (set up a meeting via phone?). OTOH, if you deal with a shop of known quality, you'll get what you pay for...

A mailbox? Well, it's all really starting to add up. I saw the address and assumed it was a bricks-and-mortar location. Good job I keep a pretty tight grip on my money. The joke of it is, I wasn't even really in the market for a new turntable until I saw that great price. I guess I'll just save up for a bit longer and deal with someone reputable. In the meantime, my 31-year-old SL-1400MK2 spins the discs just fine.

Thanks, fini, Russ, and everyone else for their helpful advice. It's great to have the gang to call on when I'm in doubt about something audio-related.

fenderbender, it looks like KAB USA may be the ones to deal with. So you were happy with their service? They seem to know and care more about Technics SLs than anyone else around.